Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by cf1140 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:21 pm
cf1140 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:45 am In one of the morning reruns this week, one of the contestants said Greta Thurnberg in the rapid fire round and it was accepted.
Jeopardy! has strict rules with pronunciation with extra letters and letters omitted. Most other shows are more lenient.
The Chase isn't one of those shows cuz they negged Amy Comey Barret. Then again they did accept bass-KWAH for Basquiat. Wonder if J would accept that.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

One of the Ira Levines on last night's Master Minds???

https://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.ph ... r_id=11499
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:00 am One of the Ira Levines on last night's Master Minds???

https://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.ph ... r_id=11499
Thanks, I'll update his page some time this morning. Any Master Mind should have been able to ace those four like Arianna did. Philippines was a rough guess to lose the $10K, but at least Ira did not guess Hawaii. I was expecting him to either get New Zealand or guess Australia.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I doubt Ryan has tutored students in Antarctica.
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:33 pm I doubt Ryan has tutored students in Antarctica.
well, not for *pay*, since that perfidious penguin who needed trigonometry help stiffed me! :x
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Ginormous error in today's episode:
Spoiler
Geronimo was not a chief; Cochise was. Chris needs to be brought back with the opportunity of winning another 19K.

This also goes down as the worst performance by a MasterMind ever with Ryan tonight. Geronimo was a bad guess because he wasn't a chief. The three preceding questions were not difficult either, and Dole and Deborah were not good guesses.
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

cf1140 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:07 pm Ginormous error in today's episode:
Spoiler
Geronimo was not a chief; Cochise was. Chris needs to be brought back with the opportunity of winning another 19K.

This also goes down as the worst performance by a MasterMind ever with Ryan tonight. Geronimo was a bad guess because he wasn't a chief. The three preceding questions were not difficult either, and Dole and Deborah were not good guesses.
Spoiler
Fully agreed that it wasn't my finest half-hour! This was the last episode of the first day of taping, so the final round was at the end of a lot of anticipation and adrenaline. I knew Maui's the "Valley Isle," so that seemed like a reasonable guess for a canyon island; I did not have Naomi (though I coincidentally tutored a student on the entire Book of Ruth a few weeks after taping ended); and I just flat-out blanked in the moment on naming a non-Dole fruit company. I knew it was wrong. The cranberry connection was completely obvious in hindsight. *face palm*
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mrbungle wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:29 pm
Spoiler

Spoiler
Fully agreed that it wasn't my finest half-hour! This was the last episode of the first day of taping, so the final round was at the end of a lot of anticipation and adrenaline. I knew Maui's the "Valley Isle," so that seemed like a reasonable guess for a canyon island; I did not have Naomi (though I coincidentally tutored a student on the entire Book of Ruth a few weeks after taping ended); and I just flat-out blanked in the moment on naming a non-Dole fruit company. I knew it was wrong. The cranberry connection was completely obvious in hindsight. *face palm*
Eh, I wouldn't sweat it. You've been doing great, and any other day you would have been fine. But I would have beaten you 3-1
Spoiler
(guessed Leah instead of Naomi).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:38 pm
mrbungle wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:29 pm
Spoiler

Spoiler
Eh, I wouldn't sweat it. You've been doing great, and any other day you would have been fine. But I would have beaten you 3-1
Spoiler
Seeing multiple posts and not being able to watch until 6PT was driving me crazy for what generated the action.

The bonus round for me:
Spoiler
1. Pick an island that's probably not going to be Hawaii: Maui
2. Naomi insta-no doubter
3. Ocean Spray is probably Rhode Island - guessed Welch's to have something :oops:
4. Geronimo was not a chief and I did not think of Cochise, so stuck with Crazy Horse I knew could not be right
So, perfect when teaming up with Andy.

Yay, no one caught the apostrophe yet on Finnegans Wake yet to give me something new to post about. I have four dots on my tracking sheet for games with 2nd round requiring ringing in and Mark's name plate being Mark and not Beast. It's possible I missed some just for not paying enough attention?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Beast looked pissed with the signaling device. I assume that's part of why it went to "everyone answers in round 2".
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:38 pm Eh, I wouldn't sweat it. You've been doing great, and any other day you would have been fine. But I would have beaten you 3-1
Spoiler
thank you! much love
Spoiler
(and respect)
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

econgator wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:59 pm Beast looked pissed with the signaling device. I assume that's part of why it went to "everyone answers in round 2".
beats the heck outta the futility of having to buzz against muffy all season!

in watching myself, i can see very clearly that what felt *in my mind* like buzzing in at the right moment was, in fact, consistently buzzing in a beat too late. :(
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:42 pm I have four dots on my tracking sheet for games with 2nd round requiring ringing in and Mark's name plate being Mark and not Beast. It's possible I missed some just for not paying enough attention?
I believe it's just the four episodes.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mrbungle wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:48 am
econgator wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:59 pm Beast looked pissed with the signaling device. I assume that's part of why it went to "everyone answers in round 2".
beats the heck outta the futility of having to buzz against muffy all season!
Maybe you should adopt her patented Full Body Buzzing Technique.
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

alietr wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:18 am Maybe you should adopt her patented Full Body Buzzing Technique.
i thought i had!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not that it's news but the 3/16 show was a giveaway that eps. air out of order with Brooke's remark about what may or may not have happened.

Spoiler comments:
Spoiler
Andrew should have been toast after having the wrong tribe, but Jonathan let him off the hook when he had the wrong yoga word.

Andrew should have won another $10K as 1857 on the tiebreaker was teed up for glory. Because tomorrow is a rerun I figured Andrew was going to miss as a return as Master Mind (would have been third this season as aired and not first as Brooke said) would not have happened until Monday. Andrew was clutch to get the last Q right in Round 3 just to make it to the end.

It's all in fun and good-natured, so I enjoyed the banter and chest-puffing between Andrew and Jonathan.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:38 pm Not that it's news but the 3/16 show was a giveaway that eps. air out of order with Brooke's remark about what may or may not have happened.

Spoiler comments:
Spoiler
Andrew should have been toast after having the wrong tribe, but Jonathan let him off the hook when he had the wrong yoga word.

Andrew should have won another $10K as 1857 on the tiebreaker was teed up for glory. Because tomorrow is a rerun I figured Andrew was going to miss as a return as Master Mind (would have been third this season as aired and not first as Brooke said) would not have happened until Monday. Andrew was clutch to get the last Q right in Round 3 just to make it to the end.

It's all in fun and good-natured, so I enjoyed the banter and chest-puffing between Andrew and Jonathan.
Seems like Jonathan borked two REALLY easy questions yesterday and today.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

How often is a challenger down by one before the fourth question and then the challenger and mastermind answers match; meaning no suspense, the challenger definitely loses?

I don't think I've seen that in season 3? Yes I'm getting conspiratorial here. How did Chessman miss that?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Stats through the 3/13/23 week: (45 games)
Spoiler
Appearances
Beast: 45
Ryan: 26
Muffy: 24
Jonathan: 17
LaKedra: 16
Arianna: 5
Kelly: 1
Lauren: 1

Bonus Round Outright Wins
Muffy: 9
Jonathan: 7
Ryan: 7
Beast: 3
Arianna: 1
LaKedra: 1

Bonus Round Outright Losses
Beast: 2 (1/19 - Steven 2-1) (2/1 - Kelly 3-2)
Jonathan: 1 (3/15 - Andrew 3-2)
LaKedra: 1 (2/21 - Lauren 2-0)
Muffy: 1 (3/1 - Aaron 2-1)
Ryan: 1 (2/22 - Lauren 3-2)

Bonus Round Ties
Beast: 3 (1/31 - [1-1] Kelly correct on tiebreaker & 2/15 - [1-1] Alex miss tiebreaker & 3/7 - [1-1] Chelsea miss tiebreaker)
Ryan: 3 (1/11 - [3-3] Matt correct on Tiebreaker & 2/8 - [1-1] Justin miss tiebreaker & 3/9 - [1-1] Devon miss tiebreaker)
Jonathan: 2 (2/20 [2-2] Jason miss tiebreaker & 3/16 [3-3] Andrew miss tiebreaker))
LaKedra: 2 (1/30 - [2-2] Jon miss tiebreaker & 3/6 - [1-1] Joe miss tiebreaker)
Muffy: 1 (2/27 - [2-2] Joe miss tiebreaker)

Master Mind Bonus Round Percentage Correct
Arianna: 1.000 (1 time) (Played 4 out of 4 possible questions)
Jonathan: .684 (10 times) (Played 38 out of possible 40 questions)
Ryan: .651 (11 times) (Played 43 out of possible 44 questions)
Muffy: .643 (11 times) (Played 42 out of possible 44 questions)
Beast: .500 (8 times) (Played 32 out of possible 32 questions)
LaKedra: .400 (4 times) (Played 15 out of possible 16 questions)

Bonus Round 4/4 by Master Mind
Jonathan: 3
Ryan: 3
Beast: 1
Muffy: 1

Bonus Round Wins By Contestant
1/11/23 - Matt (3-3 tiebreaker against Ryan)
1/19 - Steven (2-1 against Beast)
1/31 - Kelly (1-1 tiebreaker against Beast)
2/1 - Kelly (3-2 against Beast)
2/21 - Lauren (2-0 against LaKedra)
2/22 - Lauren (3-2 against Ryan)
3/1 - Aaron (2-1 against Muffy)
3/15 - Andrew (3-2 against Jonathan)

Master Mind Wins Against Other Master Minds
Muffy: 11
Ryan: 11
Beast: 8
Jonathan: 10
LaKedra: 4
Kelly: 0
Lauren: 0

Master Mind Eliminated After Second Round
Beast: 20
Ryan: 6
Jonathan: 5
LaKedra: 5
Muffy: 5
Arianna: 3
Lauren: 1

Master Mind Runner-Up Against Other Master Minds
Beast: 17
Ryan: 9
Muffy: 8
LaKedra: 7
Jonathan: 2
Kelly: 1

Average Score Per Appearance
Muffy: 4142
Jonathan: 3918
Ryan: 3815
LaKedra: 3156
Kelly: 3100
Beast: 2720
Arianna: 2160
Lauren: 1200

Highest Scores by Master Minds through 3 Rounds
Jonathan: 8500
LaKedra: 7900
Beast: 7800
Muffy: 7700
Ryan: 7000
Arianna: 4500
Kelly: 3100

Master Mind Wins from Left Position

Master MInd Wins from Center Position

Master Mind Wins from Right Position
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

George Santos appeared on Master Minds and went by the name Isaiah. :)
Douglas Squasoni