New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of a YT upload I added 3/3/95: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7652

Player pics of Bob Michael, John Vallerga and Ben Macrory:
Spoiler
The guys were good enough to get 56R, but three of the clues going TS were all head scratchers for how they could elude the fellas. Good game, though.

Andy or Robert or Myron if you want to do 3/6 and the Chinese, be my guest. I'll do it tomorrow morning (10ish my time) if it is not done by then.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of a YT upload I added 3/6/95: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7653

Player pics of Roger Moyer, Jeffrey Dickey and Ben Macrory:
Spoiler
That completes Ben's run. The ToC skills (as well as self-assured confidence) were there, but he kind of sunk himself.

I took my best shot at the FJ! round.

The prizes included my favorite of doing detective work to track down the serigraph info as it's hard to pick up just on Johnny's patter alone.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of a YT upload I added 10/13/94: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7655

Player pics of Mark Maginity, Sally Adams and Bill Schilling:
Spoiler
Sally left with one toe remaining.

I got the first two for the FJ! clue was glad I did not need the third. At least I can solve something in the Nobel Lit area.

Going back to the previous game, anyone have the win/$ for Roger Moyer?
wbheath
Valued Contributor

Post by wbheath »

Congrats on getting Season 11 tied with the same number of games as Season 10, Mark!
Favorite Jeopardy! Seasons: Seasons 21-24
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

wbheath wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:16 pm Congrats on getting Season 11 tied with the same number of games as Season 10, Mark!
For my next old game to archive (perhaps tomorrow afternoon) I used a random number generator between 0-8 and it came up 4, so no tiebreaker that I have available to me.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History and Tunein, we have Paul Croshier game 1-A, so labeled because (spoilers) the eventual 5xer was not the winner of this game.
https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7627

This was the chronologically next previously-unentered game in the J! Archive.

Staff Sergeant Paul, at "five-foot-seventeen", towered over the ladies on either side of him, with a height differential greater than any in my memory. Must have been before adjustable risers and even apple boxes.

This show marked the introduction of the SPELLING category.

One clue misspelled The Fantasticks, omitting the C. I will give J! the benefit of the doubt and assume they made a choice for space/aesthetics.

Not too sure about Paul's wager.

Other than that, nothing controversial this game. No scoring errors or major flubs that made it to air. Alex used a mild term of endearment to congratulate the female challenger that you probably won't hear a host saying in 2023.

Wasn't sure whether to capitalize "dwarfs" in Final.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:44 pm Wasn't sure whether to capitalize "dwarfs" in Final.
I would.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:44 pm Staff Sergeant Paul, at "five-foot-seventeen", towered over the ladies on either side of him, with a height differential greater than any in my memory. Must have been before adjustable risers and even apple boxes.
Didn't the risers only come in with the most recent set?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:44 pm Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History and Tunein, we have Paul Croshier game 1-A, so labeled because (spoilers) the eventual 5xer was not the winner of this game.
https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7627

This was the chronologically next previously-unentered game in the J! Archive.

Staff Sergeant Paul, at "five-foot-seventeen", towered over the ladies on either side of him, with a height differential greater than any in my memory. Must have been before adjustable risers and even apple boxes.

This show marked the introduction of the SPELLING category.

One clue misspelled The Fantasticks, omitting the C. I will give J! the benefit of the doubt and assume they made a choice for space/aesthetics.

Not too sure about Paul's wager.

Other than that, nothing controversial this game. No scoring errors or major flubs that made it to air. Alex used a mild term of endearment to congratulate the female challenger that you probably won't hear a host saying in 2023.

Wasn't sure whether to capitalize "dwarfs" in Final.
Do you know why Paul was brought back?

J15 was rather clunkily worded, I didn’t know if they wanted the city or country.

J21 appears to have some stray quotation marks.

Could you post a screenshot of the three players to see the height discrepancy?

S1 is creeping up the ranks!!!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:30 am Do you know why Paul was brought back?
When he came by here in advance of BotD, he said that he uncovered the last DD in DJ, and then the end-of-round signal played when he was about to make his wager, and it was determined that he should have gotten to play that DD. (But as Andy reported upon listening to the TuneIn recording, there was no such occurrence on the show as aired, so either the DJ endgame was edited, or Paul got the details wrong.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:20 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:30 am Do you know why Paul was brought back?
When he came by here in advance of BotD, he said that he uncovered the last DD in DJ, and then the end-of-round signal played when he was about to make his wager, and it was determined that he should have gotten to play that DD. (But as Andy reported upon listening to the TuneIn recording, there was no such occurrence on the show as aired, so either the DJ endgame was edited, or Paul got the details wrong.)
With this being the 25th game the rules didn’t seem to be carved in stone yet. So I can see them pulling the plug if he was in the middle of his DD clue and then they edited that part out.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 11/23/87: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7657

Player pics of Michael Compton, Ray Stoddard and Kate Waits:
Spoiler
The iconic blue & white dress.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:20 pm
'Splain?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:30 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:20 pm
'Splain?
She wore it more than twice on J! (including on Super J!, where they used a flashback clip of her wearing the same dress).
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Apologies in general for my lack of adding new games this week—I've got a bit of a busy week; I'll get back on the horse next week.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 9/23/86: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7659

Player pics of Jeffrey Ellis, Heidi Yorkshire and Jay DeBoer:
Spoiler
I should check ahead to see if a game has a SPELLING category, and if so, pick another game. J28 was both stunning and funny, though.

DD3: Were the writers out of their minds? Who solves that?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:13 pm Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 9/23/86: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7659

Player pics of Jeffrey Ellis, Heidi Yorkshire and Jay DeBoer:
Spoiler
I should check ahead to see if a game has a SPELLING category, and if so, pick another game. J28 was both stunning and funny, though.

DD3: Were the writers out of their minds? Who solves that?
I have had a nurse use the alternate response on me in an attempt to get a vein.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:13 pm Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 9/23/86: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7659
Why did Jeff wager what he did on FJ, and how did Heidi end up covering that wager? My best guess for Heidi is that she just went for a nice multiple of $500 that coincidentally got her up to $100 more than Jeff would have had with a correct response; my best guess for Jeff was that he anticipated Jay wagering to catch up to Heidi and tried to stay above that if they were both wrong, but miscalculated and ended up leaving $1,000 more on the table than he needed to.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:13 pm I should check ahead to see if a game has a SPELLING category, and if so, pick another game. J28 was both stunning and funny, though.
The interesting thing is, if Alex had been playing by the rules he announced when the SPELLING category was introduced, he would have cut Jeff off at letter one ("S--") and Jeff would not have been able to finish his response, making it impossible to later credit him.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 3/19/86: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7661

Player pics of Spencer McIlmurray, Donna Cunningham & Gerri Miller:
Spoiler
Since it's a S2 game I had myself mentally prepared for 15W. The players beat my low expectations by one.