New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the YT upload I added 4/21/92: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7436

Player pics of Patrick McMahon, Scott Corngold and Al Badger:
Spoiler
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Passing on dealing with the 50+ correction suggestions that have come in today for non-2022 games:

Courtesy of the YT upload I added 4/22/92: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7438

Player pics of Andrew Boynton & Toni Betz who played Patrick McMahon:
Spoiler
Gold? :lol:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the YT upload I added 4/23/92: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7439

Player pics of Michael Brossette & Bill Orme who played Patrick McMahon:
Spoiler
4/5 Joan responses are a little dated (though I was happy to go 5/5 on them) and I wonder how those names would play in 2022.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:12 pm 4/5 Joan responses are a little dated (though I was happy to go 5/5 on them) and I wonder how those names would play in 2022.
I went 1/5, hoping against hope Joan Fontaine was a zoo ambassador and/or opera star
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I went 2/5, getting the two (very different) singers.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

3/5 -- not familiar with the bottom 2 names.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:12 pm 4/5 Joan responses are a little dated (though I was happy to go 5/5 on them) and I wonder how those names would play in 2022.
3/5 NHO Lundren and Embrey.

Was smart enough to know Joan Hammond is from New Zealand.
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got the top two. The 1992 me probably gets the next two. The zoo Joan was a regular talk show guest back then. Never heard of the bottom Joan.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

I have a question for Erick Dye Cain, we know that Debby Arnold's original run was March 15-19, 1993 but how about for Walt Senterfitt? What episodes did he appear in originally? If we get any of Walt Senterfitt's regular episodes, we're hoping they're from the GSN reruns or from any station other than WJLA recordings.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:28 pm I have a question for Erick Dye Cain, we know that Debby Arnold's original run was March 15-19, 1993 but how about for Walt Senterfitt? What episodes did he appear in originally? If we get any of Walt Senterfitt's regular episodes, we're hoping they're from the GSN reruns or from any station other than WJLA recordings.
Maybe looking up at old newspaper's would be a great idea.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

kablamfan11 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:33 am
Ivoryface86 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:28 pm I have a question for Erick Dye Cain, we know that Debby Arnold's original run was March 15-19, 1993 but how about for Walt Senterfitt? What episodes did he appear in originally? If we get any of Walt Senterfitt's regular episodes, we're hoping they're from the GSN reruns or from any station other than WJLA recordings.
Maybe looking up at old newspaper's would be a great idea.
Right you are, Erick. In fact, to narrow down, Walter's original set of appearances aired sometime in April 1993, but I don't think he faced David Tiemann though, we still have to ask someone who remember enough to have had GSN at the time Walter Senterfitt's regular episodes were rerun. Maybe Trevor knows. We should also ask which FJ! categories did Walter face in his original set of appearances.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

An email came to me with this:

Walt Senterfitt........4/16-4/22/93
David Tiemann......4/6-4/9/1993
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Show #6, aired 1984-09-17 is in, thanks to the new streaming radio channel.

Lots of since-debunked "trivia" in this game, like the old "kangaroo" myth, and the bit about Ronald Reagan almost starring in Casablanca.

I think this might be Chris Knapp, the first name shown ("Michael") notwithstanding. There are other references to a "Mike Chris Knapp" on the internet, e.g., this newspaper from 2008.

I found a Perry Mason Adair on Facebook who sounds promising as a match for the other challenger.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

We welcome Dominique Deveraux to the J-Canon. ;)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Show #8, aired 1984-09-19, is in. (We're still missing #7.)

Something very strange happened scorewise. At the end of Double Jeopardy!, the returning champ's score was reported as $2,300, which was correct, by my computations. But a minute later, before the throw to the ad break, after Johnny's (expurgated) announcement of the prizes for the runners-up, "correct" scores were announced with Lorrie's score reduced to $2,200. I can't figure out where the $100 went to. The best I can figure is it had to do with this ambiguous exchange during the last Daily Double:

(Alex: Oh, Lorrie, this is very, very important for you. You've got $4,100 to invest in this Daily Double. It's for you alone. You're trailing our leader by $2,400 at the moment.)
(Lorrie: I'm going to give it the whole shot, Alex. Let's do $4,000.)
(Alex: $4,000!)
(Alex: The stuff--)
(Lorrie: Do or die, here.)
(Alex: Do or die. The stuff champions are made of.)

So, Lorrie clearly wagered $4,000, as acknowledged by Alex. But she also said she wanted to wager "the whole shot", which might have been taken to mean all her score? If she reduces to zero after missing the last DD, then her Final score does indeed work out to $2,200 instead of $2,300, but I can't see how it might have been otherwise. Score checkers are welcome to find a mistake in my entry (or my math).

One other note, one of the male challengers (not sure whose voice it is) very audibly says "It's not writing. It's not--" in Final Jeopardy! Yet it seems he did complete his response. I have to wonder if they stopped tape, fixed his telewriter, and gave him more time to write down his Final response.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:17 pm Show #8, aired 1984-09-19, is in. (We're still missing #7.)

Something very strange happened scorewise. At the end of Double Jeopardy!, the returning champ's score was reported as $2,300, which was correct, by my computations. But a minute later, before the throw to the ad break, after Johnny's (expurgated) announcement of the prizes for the runners-up, "correct" scores were announced with Lorrie's score reduced to $2,200. I can't figure out where the $100 went to. The best I can figure is it had to do with this ambiguous exchange during the last Daily Double:

(Alex: Oh, Lorrie, this is very, very important for you. You've got $4,100 to invest in this Daily Double. It's for you alone. You're trailing our leader by $2,400 at the moment.)
(Lorrie: I'm going to give it the whole shot, Alex. Let's do $4,000.)
(Alex: $4,000!)
(Alex: The stuff--)
(Lorrie: Do or die, here.)
(Alex: Do or die. The stuff champions are made of.)

So, Lorrie clearly wagered $4,000, as acknowledged by Alex. But she also said she wanted to wager "the whole shot", which might have been taken to mean all her score? If she reduces to zero after missing the last DD, then her Final score does indeed work out to $2,200 instead of $2,300, but I can't see how it might have been otherwise. Score checkers are welcome to find a mistake in my entry (or my math).

One other note, one of the male challengers (not sure whose voice it is) very audibly says "It's not writing. It's not--" in Final Jeopardy! Yet it seems he did complete his response. I have to wonder if they stopped tape, fixed his telewriter, and gave him more time to write down his Final response.
That's got to be what happened, but it seems to me that a specific number, especially when acknowledged by Alex, should take precedence over a vague phrase. And hey, maybe Lorrie is a fan of motorcycle racing and said that she was going for "the hole shot", where you get to the apex of turn one first and lead the race? Who knows?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Hopefully the TuneIn episodes move to Pluto so you can see what happened on screen.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:40 am Hopefully the TuneIn episodes move to Pluto so you can see what happened on screen.
In the case of Lorrie's score, I'm not sure seeing the screen would help. The scorekeeper evidently took Lorrie's wager as $4,000, because that's how she was scored through the end of Double Jeopardy!

All the score-changing action happened off-camera during the prize break.

I rather doubt that during the prize break TPTB came over to Lorrie and asked her, "Hey, did you mean to make that a True Daily Double?"--and then changed her score downward based on her admission, that, yes, that's what she actually meant.

It seems to me that this is probably also before they had the capability to do tape review during taping.

My best guess is that an on-set score-checker misremembered her DD as a TDD and they "corrected" the score without being able to go back to review the tape to see that her DD wager reserved $100.

There have been weirder score discrepancies in the early-season games (see some of my posts upthread). Just add this one to the list, I guess.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Here's part of the December 21, 1993 (Jean Grewe game 2) episode on YouTube:

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:35 pm Here's part of the December 21, 1993 (Jean Grewe game 2) episode on YouTube:

Thanks for bringing it up. I have a memory of Jean Grewe risking a lock-lead in FJ, but this game does not appear to be it.

(According to the FJ resource and my memory, it's the December 23 game. I hope that one shows up.)