2022 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: 2022 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by Robert K S »

alietr wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:42 am
trainman wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:24 am I checked out of "Being the Ricardos" early in the movie when a CBS executive character says something to the effect of, "You'll know everything's okay if you tape a show Friday night." They had a consultant listed in the credits, but either they didn't catch that, or Sorkin ignored them.
Spoiler
No one would have said "tape" a television show in 1952. Videotape had just been invented, and wasn't commercially viable yet.
Wasn't everything on kinescope back then?
Kinescope is pointing a film camera at an output CRT as a cheap way of preserving a live video feed. I think I Love Lucy was shot and edited on film. Many multi-camera sitcoms were, up through the early 2000s when hidef video took hold. The ones that were have been better preserved and look a lot better for rebroadcast today.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:42 am
trainman wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:24 am I checked out of "Being the Ricardos" early in the movie when a CBS executive character says something to the effect of, "You'll know everything's okay if you tape a show Friday night." They had a consultant listed in the credits, but either they didn't catch that, or Sorkin ignored them.
Spoiler
No one would have said "tape" a television show in 1952. Videotape had just been invented, and wasn't commercially viable yet.
Wasn't everything on kinescope back then?
According to the recent TCM podcast on Lucy, "I Love Lucy" was the first sitcom shot on film.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

To be clear, kinescopes weren't used to originate shows -- the shows would either be filmed, or they'd air live (and possibly be kinescoped for the West Coast and/or for reruns).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

davey wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:47 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:47 pm Chris Rock vs. Will Smith = poor joke vs. battery on Oscars

If real then amazing moment for the books; if fake then well acted
If fake then what in the world was the point?
I'm convinced it was real, but if had been staged then it could have led up to something in Wrestlemania.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:47 pm Chris Rock vs. Will Smith = poor joke vs. battery on Oscars

Will Smith is signaling that he wants to be offered roles as a villain, he's done everything else, and Chris Rock is trying to stay relevant.

Some convenient gossip-worthy drama at this type of event happens so often that it should be expected.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:01 am

Will Smith is signaling that he wants to be offered roles as a villain, he's done everything else, and Chris Rock is trying to stay relevant.

Some convenient gossip-worthy drama at this type of event happens so often that it should be expected.
Watching this footage, Jada seems far less amused than Will. It would be interesting to see what happens off-camera between 0:44 and 0:51 (btw, what does Rock say at 0:47? "It's....?").

Anyway, I don't believe it was staged.
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

I don't know if you're serious, but Will Smith is probably the most powerful actor in America right now, he can do whatever roles he wants.
I assumed it was a bit up to and including the slap, but It was obvious it was real when Rock stopped joking, and when their subsequent dialog was censored...
I noticed that Smith laughed at the joke, but Jada Pinkett Smith must have swiftly communicated her offense. Maybe Rock didn't know she has allopecia; disease tends to put the joke out of bounds.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Lefty wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:19 am

Watching this footage, Jada seems far less amused than Will. It would be interesting to see what happens off-camera between 0:44 and 0:51 (btw, what does Rock say at 0:47? "It's....?").

Anyway, I don't believe it was staged.
Here's a peek during the break. Man, when Macbeth and Madea have to talk you down, you went over the top!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

VIA JAPANESE TELEVISION: The uncensored exchange between Will Smith and Chris Rock

— Timothy Burke (@bubbaprog) March 28, 2022

“Oh, wow!” Rock said as Smith walked back to his seat. “Wow. Will Smith just smacked the s--- out of me.”

“Keep my wife’s name out your f---ing mouth,” Smith yelled after he sat back down.

“Wow, dude,” Rock said. “It was a ‘G.I. Jane’ joke.”

“Keep my wife’s name out your f---ing mouth!” Smith shouted louder.

“I’m going to. Okay?” Rock said, shaking his head. “Okay.”
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

It seemed to me, from the lyric reworking of "We Don't Talk About Bruno" to be more about the Oscars show, and the overly harsh lighting on Beyoncé's performance, that the former was intended to be the lead-off number, and "Be Alive" was intended to be performed later in the show during sunset's "Golden Hour". I imagine they got switched up when Lin-Manuel canceled and the balance of star power shifted decisively.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Knowing how the show tends to love oldest/youngest trivia, it seems worth mentioning that Billie Eilish became the first person born in the 21st century to win an Oscar.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/bil ... 20987.html
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

nserven wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:58 am Knowing how the show tends to love oldest/youngest trivia, it seems worth mentioning that Billie Eilish became the first person born in the 21st century to win an Oscar.
Good catch!
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Interesting experiment to happen in the world of sports:

Minor League Baseball to move second base closer to home plate in 2022 as part of rules experiment

The article is worth a read, particularly from a math perspective.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:24 pm Interesting experiment to happen in the world of sports:

Minor League Baseball to move second base closer to home plate in 2022 as part of rules experiment

The article is worth a read, particularly from a math perspective.
Wrong link...
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mino ... er-report/

But that barely touches the weirdness of the base measurement rules unlike possibly the Atlantic piece (paywalled) or this one at Defector
https://defector.com/wait-second-base-h ... hole-time/
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:18 am VIA JAPANESE TELEVISION: The uncensored exchange between Will Smith and Chris Rock

“Oh, wow!” Rock said as Smith walked back to his seat. “Wow. Will Smith just smacked the s--- out of me.”

“Keep my wife’s name out your f---ing mouth,” Smith yelled after he sat back down.

“Wow, dude,” Rock said. “It was a ‘G.I. Jane’ joke.”

“Keep my wife’s name out your f---ing mouth!” Smith shouted louder.

“I’m going to. Okay?” Rock said, shaking his head. “Okay.”
You know what they found on his face afterwards?

Fresh prints ...
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

econgator wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:19 pm
alietr wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:18 am “Oh, wow!” Rock said as Smith walked back to his seat. “Wow. Will Smith just smacked the s--- out of me.”
You know what they found on his face afterwards?

Fresh prints ...
Nice one!
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Bruce Willis is retiring from acting after being diagnosed with aphasia.

Bruce Willis’ Career in Photos, From ‘Moonlighting’ to ‘Glass’

This announcement hit me harder than most due to the fact that my wife, Dena, was recently diagnosed with a stage 4 glioblastoma — terminal brain cancer — which was found only because of sudden-onset aphasia in January.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:41 pm Bruce Willis is retiring from acting after being diagnosed with aphasia.

This announcement hit me harder than most due to the fact that my wife, Dena, was recently diagnosed with a stage 4 glioblastoma — terminal brain cancer — which was found only because of sudden-onset aphasia in January.
Very sorry to hear about your wife.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:41 pm Bruce Willis is retiring from acting after being diagnosed with aphasia.

So sorry to hear that about your wife. My most sincere sympathies.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

OMG. So sorry, cinemaniax7.

The redlettermedia guys on YouTube have been speculating for some time that Bruce Willis's cognitive health has been deteriorating which has led to him making a large number of super-low-budget "redbox" movies in a last-ditch effort to capitalize on his fame before retiring.