Inside Jeopardy podcast

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:15 pmNot sure what we would do if it were, like, a supercut of snippets from practice games played on ToC tape days with all-new material on the boards.
Wake up screaming is my guess.
Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Mathew5000 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:56 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:32 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:24 pm 11/8 may break the internet and it may be tied into 2nd anniversary of Alex Trebek's death
I've seen some posts or articles in other places that speculate an exhibition game between Mattea, Matt, and Amy. That would be cool but I think 'break the internet' is a bit hyperbolish if that's all it is.
Perhaps it will only be the Big 3 exhibition if they do not all make the finals. If it does shake out that way then J! would not want to show it early. Or it would be the perfect lead-in to the semis since their non-appearance in the QF round would confuse Joe & Jane America.
Would be very weird to have Amy, Matt, and Mattea playing each other in a practice match airing during the tournament, but not part of the tournament. And would be confusing for viewers who see it while channel-surfing having missed any intro. By the way, approximately what percentage of stations airing Jeopardy in the US will show the episode in its regular slot on that day? Presumably all Canadian stations will show that episode at its usual time.

Perhaps the "break the Internet" episode will be some kind of practice game with Ken as a contestant, competing against the semifinalists rotating through. (Buzzy could host.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I know it's their job to promote the show, but break the Internet? Uh huh. Anyway, I came across this article:

https://www.them.us/story/amy-schneider ... o-jeopardy
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:03 am I know it's there job to promote the show, but break the Internet? Uh huh. Anyway, I came across this article:

https://www.them.us/story/amy-schneider ... o-jeopardy
With the mention of Amy "living her best life" I'm reminded of the "Eye of the Tiger" montage from Rocky III.
Spoiler
While Amy has not done an American Express ad or appeared on The Muppet Show she has been seen at a lot of public events. Somewhere in the mix of the SCT players and ToC champs someone is probably training as hard and is as hungry as Clubber Lang.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

September 12: "What is Celebrity Jeopardy!?"

Only 21 minutes and change.

Michael was on vacation in Italy and talked about pizza with Sarah, the two hosts this week.

Ralph Macchio was in the studio for the Cobra Kai clues. There will be more video categories.

The summer reruns did well with the ratings.

One of the celeb games will have an incomplete FJ! response like the Tubma game. The 9/11 taping was 9 celebs for three games and the three winners for a 4th game in one day. Future tapings will have the same pattern to leave the 13th game for the final.

Some stuff from celeb games may be left in that is normally cut out. Andy Richter was mentioned as one of the players. The celebs are not given a test. There will be more talk with the players.

J! is using the prime time shows to try out some things that might be used for regular shows. There could be a bonus when a player runs a category.

SCT tapes this week and the ToC next week.

When a clue is discarded there are two extra clues for each category though not assigned a specific value.

ToC leaderboard is wins then money and no specific rules for tiebreaker after that since never been necessary.

Buzzy will be back next week to talk about kickoff week and listeners may hear from champs.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:41 am September 12: "What is Celebrity Jeopardy!?"
Any mention of the Triple Jeopardy! inside scoop that was reported on this board?

J! is using the prime time shows to try out some things that might be used for regular shows. There could be a bonus when a player runs a category.
Eww, no thanks.
ToC leaderboard is wins then money and no specific rules for tiebreaker after that since never been necessary.
Ensures next TOC someone will be exactly tied for the last shpt and it's a shame the show didn't have a pre-established standard with which to break the tie. (Most cumulative correct responses, highest cumulative total pre-FJ, highest cumulative total when disregarding DDs, etc)
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:12 pm Any mention of the Triple Jeopardy! inside scoop that was reported on this board?
No—MD specifically said that the format is under ABC embargo until Thursday.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:12 pmEnsures next TOC someone will be exactly tied for the last shpt and it's a shame the show didn't have a pre-established standard with which to break the tie. (Most cumulative correct responses, highest cumulative total pre-FJ, highest cumulative total when disregarding DDs, etc)
I remember on the old Sony board someone speculated the tie would be broken first by looking at the contestant's final (non-winning) game - if the tied ToC candidates finished in different positions (2nd vs. 3rd) in that game that would be first, and then I hypothesized (but didn't post it) after that it would be the actual score in that game. (Ironically this was in 2007 when Scott Weiss, by virtue of his wager to tie in his infamous game, got himself in that tie that he would've avoided by adding the dollar. This was well down in 3-win territory so it never came to materialize.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not a fan of a bonus for running a category.

Would have loved to have seen Mark's reaction when they said there would be more video clues this season.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:07 pm Not a fan of a bonus for running a category.
They were talking about a cash bonus given after the game, I believe. That's a good idea; for example if you finish in third but you ran two categories, maybe your prize is $5,000 instead of $1,000.

But if they meant that your score within the game increases as a reward for running a category, that would be problematic for a few reasons. For one thing, it would result in a bunch of new single-game records that would have to be asterisked.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Mathew5000 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:08 am They were talking about a cash bonus given after the game, I believe. That's a good idea; for example if you finish in third but you ran two categories, maybe your prize is $5,000 instead of $1,000.

But if they meant that your score within the game increases as a reward for running a category, that would be problematic for a few reasons. For one thing, it would result in a bunch of new single-game records that would have to be asterisked.
Even without the during-game bonus it still makes the winnings different and would result in necessitating two columns of scores in any records spreadsheet to prevent comparing apples to oranges.

You know what I could dig? A non-cash prize bonus. They could tie it in to sponsorship. It's been too long since contestants walked away with a haul of household products booty. Is Rice-A-Roni still a thing?

Does anybody have a link to that old Bob Harris video (made before the days of YouTube?) where he's just dumping out all his prizes on the floor and narrating them as they come? "And more Bon Ami cleanser! And more Bon Ami cleanser!"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Another issue is that category runs usually aren't five straight clues. If I am on the show and I gets clues correct in "Pop Music of the 2020s" on clues 5,12,17,23, and 30 the viewers aren't going to realize I ran it unless the host mentions it. Which makes it a little anticlimactic.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:13 am Another issue is that category runs usually aren't five straight clues. If I am on the show and I gets clues correct in "Pop Music of the 2020s" on clues 5,12,17,23, and 30 the viewers aren't going to realize I ran it unless the host mentions it. Which makes it a little anticlimactic.
Sometimes that's true, but I find that even after James Holzhauser & Matt Amodio, most players still go top down in each category. :|
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:13 am Another issue is that category runs usually aren't five straight clues. If I am on the show and I gets clues correct in "Pop Music of the 2020s" on clues 5,12,17,23, and 30 the viewers aren't going to realize I ran it unless the host mentions it. Which makes it a little anticlimactic.
The information could be shown on the board. Each podium would have its own colour (or perhaps let each player choose a colour) and after a clue is adjudicated, its cell would bear the colour of the player who responded correctly (or dark-blue for triple-stumpers). Alternatively, only in columns where running the category is still possible would the cells of exposed clues be coloured for the player.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:25 am Does anybody have a link to that old Bob Harris video (made before the days of YouTube?) where he's just dumping out all his prizes on the floor and narrating them as they come? "And more Bon Ami cleanser! And more Bon Ami cleanser!"
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Thank you, Myron! I seem to think there was also a sequel where there was even more stuff he forgot the first time. And/or prizes won on subsequent appearances.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I liked it in Weird Al's video where they'd wheel out parting gifts only to take them away and him trying to grab the home game dangling on a string.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:45 pm Honors on 9/19 the night before the ToC tapes
Today is 9/19 and I have noticed that Jeopardy! has not mentioned the Honors since Episode 2 of the podcast. Does anyone know if it is still happening tonight?

EDIT: Tonight's episode of the podcast mentions that next week's episode is about the Honors.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

9/19 episode: "What is the Debut of Season 39?" with Michael, Sarah and Buzzy

One portion of the podcast is recapping and discussing the J! games that aired 9/12 - 9/16.

The first four minutes is a lot of yucking it up before getting to anything substantive.

The show is looking into how many Luigi contestants there have been and where Luigi stands on it. For Luigi and Ken it was quite different to go from no audience to studio audience.

Only Matt Amodio
Spoiler
had a higher season premiere score than Luigi.
Big moment to have Ken introduced as "the host".

Quick discussion about contestants preparing or not to be on show and seeing some as pros and some as amateurs.

April from the 9/13 show:
Spoiler
(botched her FJ! round wager) mentioned as possible SCT player and her remarks about wagering on Reddit were mentioned.
The celeb games may have some moments with wagering as some were not ready to handle DDs and FJ! round. Buzzy believes to bet on yourself and expect to get it right.

Things about the 9/12 - 16 games:
Spoiler
The Constant/Constable from 9/14 was in the rules for Luigi to be able to change his response when Ken did not hear him clearly the first time.

When players tied after the J! round it's the player who most recently gave a correct response that goes first.

Harriet and the Angela Le Guin was checked extensively to make sure Ken ruled before she corrected it late.

Running a category bonus may be tried in special tourney play and could be a prize and not cash. It will not be tied into game scores.

Some fans want players to play categories top to bottom, but that would take away a strategy element.

It was mentioned that James Holzhauer had Diet Coke and slices of pizza for lunch in wondering what Luigi ate prior to winning his fifth game.

Both Michael and Buzzy (Bryn Mawr) did not get the CMU FJ! clue right.

Luigi's ability to give correct responses in foreign language accents was admired.

A couple of pre-recorded minutes of Sarah interviewing Luigi after his games was played. Luigi is of the "either you know it or you don't" mindset for studying for the show.
5xer, UToCer, Michael Rooney was a fan question about more J! eps. streaming in addition to the small amount Pluto has so far. Michael Davies worries about overexposure of the show while still looking towards the possibility of pop culture, sports and live Masters versions. Michael D. watches past episodes of J! thanks to having access to the show's archives.

Fan, Doug, asked about J! clues in video games coming from past shows. The show clues are repurposed for video games and never the other way around.

Next week: J! Honors & the Hall of Fame, with ToC players on hand for the ceremony plus outgoing ToC champ, Sam Kavanaugh
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:24 pm 9/19 episode: "What is the Debut of Season 39?" with Michael, Sarah and Buzzy

Both Michael and Buzzy (Bryn Mawr) did not get the CSU FJ! clue right.
Not sure what this is referring to, guessing you made a typo and meant
Spoiler
CMU for Carnegie Mellon?
On a related note, I wonder did you consider spoiler-tagging discussion of specific clues and responses in these (FJ? or otherwise)? Or maybe a blanket warning at the top of the post that clues from last week's shows will be mentioned below?