Fun with ABC's "Celebrity Jeopardy!"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Triple Jeopardy, huh?

Post by Austin Powers »

alietr wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:49 am Where is this coming from?
The brain of Michael Davies
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So will the clue values for TJ round be $600-$3000?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:41 am So will the clue values for TJ round be $600-$3000?
Everything scaled down. TJ maxes at $1500.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Fun with ABC's "Celebrity Jeopardy!"

Post by Robert K S »

So you'll once again be able to say, "I'll take STUPID ANSWERS for $500, Alex"?

(Minus the "Alex".)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So if Weird Al is on he can take Potpourri for $100?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Austin Powers wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:18 am
seaborgium wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:45 am It would have been more impressive if you'd posted this before the taping.
But if I told folks before, you wouldn’t have been able to post that snarky comment, and I didn’t want to take that from you.
Please don't limit yourself on my behalf; I'd feel bad if I knew I was the reason you kept failing to impress.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:21 am
Volante wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:46 am
Bamaman wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:22 am Oh joy. Three rounds of d-listers acting like idiots.
No one's forcing you to watch...
Why do you keep defending them? You act like you're getting paid.
Well, to get this first part out of the way, the nine in the initial announcement aren't D-listers like most of power players week. Normal people will recognize most of them

But to continue, because I don't unabashedly hate something I'm all in? Forgot I'm on the internet, where nuance is a four letter word...

They are not cancelling Celeb J!, no matter how much a vocal minority wants them to. So accept it. They did the next best thing, at least: moved it to the weekend.

And what's wrong with tinkering with a format? Celeb J! can be J!'s Double- and Triple-A. MLB just introduced a major rule overhaul for 2023. I'm not a personal fan of banning the shift, but the pitch clock enforcement is decades overdue and the base size increase looks promising. I'm not over here clamoring for the old days of lobbing the ball in like a cricket bowler...or even a higher mound. (I think everyone's even stopped giving a shit about the universal DH. I do still hold a flame for the pitched IBB, so it's not all wine and roses beer and pizza, but feh...)

Anyway, I'm intrigued. Also, more clues! Could it suck? Sure. Anything new could. But it might not. It's a risk we should be willing to take though. And if it works out well, perhaps it can be implemented for a future TOC with TJ! having a difficulty level even LSV struggles with!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guess I'm not normal since I've only heard of four of them. I just don't get the fascination of seeing celebrities play a game show.

If you don't like the shift then bunt down the third base line. A walk should require four pitches and starting extra innings with a runner on second is stupider than the DH.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

I find it odd how not knowing who certain celebs are is viewed almost as a badge of honor on this board. Also not a great look upthread from those who seem not to care about knowing two stars of ginormous hit movies who happen to be of Asian descent.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

hanzz wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:54 pm I find it odd how not knowing who certain celebs are is viewed almost as a badge of honor on this board. Also not a great look upthread from those who seem not to care about knowing two stars of ginormous hit movies who happen to be of Asian descent.
I just went back and read this entire thread. There is not one post in which people are proud not to know who the celebs are. Which post(s) are you referring to, specifically? Where am I mistaken?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

hanzz wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:54 pm I find it odd how not knowing who certain celebs are is viewed almost as a badge of honor on this board. Also not a great look upthread from those who seem not to care about knowing two stars of ginormous hit movies who happen to be of Asian descent.
I'm not proud, I just don't care. It has nothing to do with the ethnicity of the contestants. Of the four I have heard of, two are white and two are black. I didn't know it was racist to not care about actors of Asian descent. I did know who Pat Morita was when he was mentioned on the show yesterday.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Volante wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:57 pm They are not cancelling Celeb J!, no matter how much a vocal minority wants them to. So accept it. They did the next best thing, at least: moved it to the weekend.

And what's wrong with tinkering with a format? Celeb J! can be J!'s Double- and Triple-A. MLB just introduced a major rule overhaul for 2023. I'm not a personal fan of banning the shift, but the pitch clock enforcement is decades overdue and the base size increase looks promising. I'm not over here clamoring for the old days of lobbing the ball in like a cricket bowler...or even a higher mound. (I think everyone's even stopped giving a shit about the universal DH. I do still hold a flame for the pitched IBB, so it's not all wine and roses beer and pizza, but feh...)
That's why I'm not ticked off about it. It won't get into the regular schedule. Which means my wife and I won't have to discuss it. She's probably more thankful than I, because she hates it when I make fun of people and despite my love for her and constant resolutions to be a better person, I would find it irresistible.

As far as recognizing the names. I recognize five of the nine. I'm not proud of that - it's mostly because I don't watch recent movies, I'm guessing. I don't recognize two of the three "headline" names. I remember Candace Parker more as the star of championship teams at Tennessee 100 years ago than anything recent. Or B.J. Novak because I liked The Office despite having to reduce the screen size to a tiny square because of the juvenile camera work. Relatively obscure stuff.

Baseball... OK, good analogy. Baseball is about tradition. It's a body of work with a history. The steroid era was terrible because it meant all the peaceful numbers and the tradition and comparing players across eras and what-iffing... pointless. 70 became the new 61, and for all the wrong reasons. It's such a simple game, and yet you could spend an afternoon lost in it. The DH change is nothing because the "experiment" has been on for half a century now and the National League was the only remaining holdout. With teams using 1,400 pitchers in each game, openers, closers, set-up men, loogies, bogeys, etc, the idea that there's a tradition to preserve? We're used to change now. But I stopped watching baseball a long time ago because the telecasts became unwatchable. Long commercial breaks, incessant close-ups of players, coaches, fans, chewing, mouths open, spit flying everywhere... that's not peaceful, that's the food network. And too many numbers... swing angles and exit velocity and the insistence that pitchers have little to do with BABIP... OK, they make sense, but I shouldn't need a spreadsheet to analyze a game.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Right now by DVR Lists "American Idol" for the 25th at 8 pm for some reason. i have AT&T U-Verse.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

The Futon Critic has listings for the first three quarterfinal games, which taped on Sunday, September 11. The first semifinal game, likely airing October 16, also taped on September 11.

September 25: Simu Liu/Ego Nwodim/Andy Richter
October 2: Eddie Huang/Reggie Watts/Iliza Shlesinger
October 9: Constance Wu/Ike Barinholtz/Jalen Rose
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Michael and Sarah did a short "What is Triple Jeopardy!" today:

Triple J! round has been done in foreign version, but not U.S.

Values are $100 - $500, $200 to $1000 and $300 to $1500
That seems clear each category will have 5 clues.
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

They also mentioned THREE Daily Doubles for Triple J!. This could either give everyone a fair shot, or cause one person to put the game away VERY early. Maximum possible score: 2,683,200.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

SweepingDeveloper wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:15 pm They also mentioned THREE Daily Doubles for Triple J!. This could either give everyone a fair shot, or cause one person to put the game away VERY early. Maximum possible score: 2,683,200.
If any of them know how to DD hunt and found all six it could make for a really high score.

Looks like they will fill the extra 15 minutes or so with commentary from Michael and Sarah.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:35 pm
SweepingDeveloper wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:15 pm They also mentioned THREE Daily Doubles for Triple J!. This could either give everyone a fair shot, or cause one person to put the game away VERY early. Maximum possible score: 2,683,200.
If any of them know how to DD hunt and found all six it could make for a really high score.

Looks like they will fill the extra 15 minutes or so with commentary from Michael and Sarah.
WAAAYYY too much to watch on Sunday nights. This will not be one of the shows.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:37 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:35 pm

WAAAYYY too much to watch on Sunday nights. This will not be one of the shows.
Simpsons, 60 Minutes, Equalizer, SNF, Walking Dead, House of the Dragon... yeah double dose of celeb play on ABC has tough competition

9/25 premier is also season finale of Big Brother
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'll watch because it is Jeopardy but I don't expect killer ratings.