LL Season 94

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL Season 94

Post by ouachiouat »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:55 am 8 in my group had a 9(6) and all of us played another who had the same, with no one winning with the perfecto. :roll:
We had 8 9(6)s as well, but I was one of 2 matches that tied. 4 got victory points for perfection.

This may have been the most insta-get 9(6) I've ever gotten. The only one that I even hesitated on was Q6, and that was just to double-check my mind that I didn't have it confused with another sign.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:55 am 8 in my group had a 9(6) and all of us played another who had the same, with no one winning with the perfecto. :roll:
I had a 9(5) (missed Tevye) and still managed a tie because my opponent gave me a 0.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

My rundle had 1 9(6) -- me. But it's a D rundle, so I wouldn't expect too many.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MCWA on idyll was pastoral...a word already in the clue...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:45 pm MCWA on idyll was pastoral...a word already in the clue...
When you ain't got nothin', you got nothin' to lose.
(I got it right.)
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:01 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:45 pm MCWA on idyll was pastoral...a word already in the clue...
When you ain't got nothin', you got nothin' to lose.
(I got it right.)
Pastoral was the first thing I entered, after erasing picaresque, before getting to idyll.

The phrasing of 'more commonly used in adjective form' threw me a bit. Probably more an indictment of my reading comprehension than the question, but I first read it like the word could be either a noun or adjective, and we more commonly use it as the latter.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

You mean that nicotine and doilly are named after people? Heretofore, I will assume that every object or substance is named after someone ;) . Good job, Thorsten...
I trended toward tobacco as a nightshade, but didn't parse the clue sufficiently to get to nicotine, which I would have discounted because how could they know the active ingredient in the 1600's and whoever found it would surely take naming rights. I chose laudanum, figuring it as a poppy derivative, but at least it sounded name-y.
I knew who they wanted for the Fiddler, but didn't know how to spell "Ya ba dibba dibba dibba dibba dibba dibba dum". I thought it would go higher than 54%.
I got crushed by the orange juice answer. I ignore prostituted stadium names. I will try to ignore the Chiefs home turf that was one of the last holdouts to pimp naming rights.
I am in the 4% that missed Jungle Book. I'll probably never know why it was so easy because it never hit my radar as a teenager.
I picked Dukes of Hazzard because I never watched it and the only name I know is Daisy Duke :). If the clue said Reverend Jim, I'm all over it. It was a good clue.

==============
The chaos rundle is starting out well and everybody seems to be defending with minimum feck. I have a DE of 0.000 at present, since there's only been two missed questions of 18 so far for me to place zeroes on. Mahatma is off to a hot start, and BigDaddyMatty is in the groove so far. It will take a full turnover of the schedule to sort out the most feckless and least ept.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I’ve got absolutely no feck.
#TeamNFinIreland
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

First defense loss of the season. NOW LL has truly begun for me :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Three six-packs in a row for me. Not sure I've ever done that before.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:46 am Three six-packs in a row for me. Not sure I've ever done that before.
Let's hope you don't make it four...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mahatma wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:54 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:46 am Three six-packs in a row for me. Not sure I've ever done that before.
I decidedly did not. :oops:

Were you my opponent yesterday? If so, congrats.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Sylvia Plath at 49% vs Anne Sexton at 11% has to rank pretty high for the largest ratio of MCWA. Definitely had to be a YEKIOYD.

The chaos play is off to a good start and mahatma and SBurrus are making a statement.

The schedule evened out the last couple of days with just a spread of 17 to 22 correct answers against. My 0.000 DE vanished once my opponents stopped six-packing me :eyeroll:.

It will be tough to catch up without deploying some really hapless efforts. I hope to transfer some of my regular rundle incompetence to the chaos rundle. My DE in Taiga E is 0.389 when I'm TRYING to play defense, vs. 0.333 here in chaos when I'm trying NOT to play it. sigh. It was still a good first week until yesterday when I am the only one who doesn't know the ghostbuster and I lost the coin flip on Waltz vs. Minuet.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:01 pm

Yeah, that was me. Thanks.

I hope that didn’t come off as unsporting. I was on a four-game streak of ties, and I really needed to get off the Schneid.

Best of luck the rest of the season.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mahatma wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:37 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:01 pm

Yeah, that was me. Thanks.

I hope that didn’t come off as unsporting. I was on a four-game streak of ties, and I really needed to get off the Schneid.

Best of luck the rest of the season.
It did not. Good luck to you, too!
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I don't think I've ever seen "Caliber" used to describe the inside diameter of a pipe.

I get concertina and melodica mixed up every time.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:56 am I don't think I've ever seen "Caliber" used to describe the inside diameter of a pipe.

I have definitely seen "gauge" used in that context, but I can't remember for sure if I have seen "caliber" used that way.

I map underground cable, telephone, and power lines as part of my job, yet somehow still drew a blank on this question. The best guess I could come up with was "prominence." Thankfully I still won.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Caliber is probably more used to talk about the internal diameter of a gun barrel (which is, I guess, just a pipe) but I didn't see any reason why it couldn't extend to all pipes.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:47 am Caliber is probably more used to talk about the internal diameter of a gun barrel (which is, I guess, just a pipe) but I didn't see any reason why it couldn't extend to all pipes.
I missed it with a "gauge" guess but the clue did mention bores in addition to pipes.

I think "bore" does point it a bit more towards the context of guns.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

bluejaylink wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:03 am
teapot37 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:47 am Caliber is probably more used to talk about the internal diameter of a gun barrel (which is, I guess, just a pipe) but I didn't see any reason why it couldn't extend to all pipes.
I missed it with a "gauge" guess but the clue did mention bores in addition to pipes.

I think "bore" does point it a bit more towards the context of guns.
I also had "gauge." That answer seemed to fit just well enough that I didn't think about it much more. Caliber seems quite obvious in retrospect. I lost 4(4)-6(3) so that makes it hurt even more.