Fourth Podium Poll for Wednesday, September 28, 2022

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these clues did you get?

SJ3 $800 ONE-NAMED ROCK STARS: This Guns N' Roses guitarist said he has flat-lined at least 3 times & has an internal defibrillator in his heart (David: Who's Axl Rose?)
95%
SJ4 $400 ONE-NAMED ROCK STARS: His surprise was evident when he won Grammy's Album of the Year in 2015 (David: Who's Ed Sheeran?)
54%
SJ8 $800 HATCHET MAN: This nickname of Abraham Lincoln highlighted his axemanship
66%
SJ9 $1000 HATCHET MAN: Before Jack chopped down the beanstalk, he stole the golden goose & a talking one of these musical instruments
56%
SJ10 $1000 HISTORY: On Friday the 13th of October 1307, King Philip IV of France ordered the arrest of this military group
42%
SJ24 $600 I LONG FOR LONG "U": A hexahedron
56%
SJ25 $800 I LONG FOR LONG "U": Horizontal whale tail part
68%
DJ8 $800 THE ACTOR'S STUDIO: She hit the big time with Paramount Pictures in the 1930s (David: Who is Garbo?)
37%
DJ2 $1600 AND THE STATE GOES TO...: Mississippi & South Carolina, 1952
20%
DJ15 $1600 THE RIGHT BROTHERS: After the death of 5 brothers of this last name in WWII, the U.S. instituted the sole survivor policy to prevent a repeat
34%
DJ16 $2000 THE RIGHT BROTHERS: These brothers made their first public hot air balloon demonstration in southern France in 1783
61%
DJ17 $2000 NATURALISTS: Maria Sibylla Merian advanced entomology in 1705's book this process "of the Insects of Surinam", which she illustrated (Emily: What is life cycle?)
68%
DJ19 $2000 CLIFF NOTES: A scene from "The Final Problem" find Sherlock Holmes tussling with Moriarty on cliffs above these falls
56%
DJ20 $1600 CLIFF NOTES: In an Alistair MacLean novel, Keith Mallory must scale the cliffs of this island & quell the title "Guns" there
88%
DJ21 $1200 CLIFF NOTES: "Dizzy sunless cliffs above the great abyss" paints a picture in H.P. Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of" this
32%
FJ WORLD RIVERS: These 2 rivers share the names of countries, end with the same 4 letters & both join up with the Paraná River
73%

Total votes: 59

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:00 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:58 pm It was not a very representative photo of West.
I've never seen her in anything, but it sure looked like a lot of photos I've seen of her:

I think that compares well to:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off& ... &oq=&gs_l=

It was enough to get me to the correct response without needing to hear the clue anyway.
Mae West looks her best in that picture - she didn't always. Jean Harlow always did - maybe that's why I thought it was her.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Looking across the stage at a monitor, it would be all too easy to confuse the two.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:10 am Looking across the stage at a monitor, it would be all too easy to confuse the two.
Definitely at that distance. Mae's trademark frizzy hair is what did it for me. I also see that Harlow has a cleft chin, which I didn't remember. But both those details might be difficult to make out on the J! stage. Harlow's a great guess for a 1930s star who looks more or less like that picture. Unless you happen to notice that the clue specifies Paramount and Harlow was an MGM gal. :roll:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Harlow was my guess. With no other information it was a tough clue undervalued on the second row. My only miss in the category.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:51 am Harlow was my guess. With no other information it was a tough clue undervalued on the second row. My only miss in the category.
Also the contestants' only miss, which supports your thinking. One thing I found looking stuff up for this discussion is that Harlow died when she was 26. I'm not sure if that would help rule her out for this clue. People in those old photos often look older than they actually are.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:45 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:51 am Harlow was my guess. With no other information it was a tough clue undervalued on the second row. My only miss in the category.
Also the contestants' only miss, which supports your thinking. One thing I found looking stuff up for this discussion is that Harlow died when she was 26. I'm not sure if that would help rule her out for this clue. People in those old photos often look older than they actually are.
It doesn't rule her out but it's a reason there aren't bad pictures of her. Mae West became a film star in her 40s and her look was harder, fitting for her seen-it-all persona.
Where did you find the Mae West picture? I don't see it in the Google results.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:01 pm
It doesn't rule her out but it's a reason there aren't bad pictures of her. Mae West became a film star in her 40s and her look was harder, fitting for her seen-it-all persona.
It's a screenshot from the clue. Where THEY found it, I don't know.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:20 pm
davey wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:01 pm
It's a screenshot from the clue. Where THEY found it, I don't know.
Going to the closing credits gives the sources for images. After wasting time at Alamy I found it on Getty here: https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/mae- ... ostpopular

On my screen it's page 7 and 9 rows down. What we saw on J! is a very cropped version so that the gams were not showing.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

$11,200 and got Final.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca