LL Season 95

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL Season 95

Post by mahatma »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:28 am Looks like today could be important. :(

I loved the Domino's question yesterday.
Ditto (on both counts). I'm one point out behind the player in 1st place, who also happens to be my MD25 opponent.

Good luck to both of us!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mahatma wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:26 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:28 am Looks like today could be important. :(

Ditto (on both counts). I'm one point out behind the player in 1st place, who also happens to be my MD25 opponent.

Good luck to both of us!
You know who that player is, right? He posts here. :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Not a good season for me. I finished exactly even, 11-11-3 and right in the middle of the pack. I was about 50 points below by average get rate. I only drank the beer on the first and last match days. And the only thing I finished high in my rundle in was MCWA, where I came in second. Quite forgettable.

The top two finishers in the rundle had 39 and 48 more TCA than the third place finisher (who was also 3rd in TCA). So realistically, there's only one spot open to finish in the top 3.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I finished #3 in Foundry E Div #2, with 59 TCA (highest since LL Season 88) and 67 TMP (same as in Season 94). This is the first season (my 28th) in which I answered at least 1 question correctly each day.

My third-place finish earns me a promotion to Rundle D for LL 96, for the first time since LL 84. Previous forays into D have been short-lived affairs (one season and five seasons). I'm sort of in a no man's land. I have enough knowledge to challenge for the top spot when the E rundles are small (this season, 22 players with the top 3 earning a promotion to D)...and don't fare so well when the E rundles get large, but never finish more than in the middle of the pack when I get to D, and inevitably, back down to E I'll go.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:28 am A 9(6)-9(6) tie yesterday dropped me down to fourth place. Me and the third place person are tied in points but he's got me in MPD. Looks like today could be important. :(

From 1980 to 1987, I lived in Ypsilanti, Michigan, where Tom Monaghan opened the first Domino's store, so that one was an instaget. By the way, Cottage Inn, a pizza chain in Greater Detroit/Ann Arbor, is an order of magnitude better than Domino's--or the other mega-chain: Little Caesar's.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Blue Lion wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:38 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:28 am A 9(6)-9(6) tie yesterday dropped me down to fourth place. Me and the third place person are tied in points but he's got me in MPD. Looks like today could be important. :(

From 1980 to 1987, I lived in Ypsilanti, Michigan, where Tom Monaghan opened the first Domino's store, so that one was an instaget. By the way, Cottage Inn, a pizza chain in Greater Detroit/Ann Arbor, is an order of magnitude better than Domino's--or the other mega-chain: Little Caesar's.
Domino's sucks. About all that can be said is it's cheap and readily available.

Well, I managed to pull out third place with a 9(6)-7(5) win yesterday. It all hinged on VC being accepted as correct for 95 in Roman numerals. I would have lost otherwise!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Prologue:
Spoiler
I'm composing this post before I can submit it for MD25 just to give props to the Commish for an awesome final question. The answer for the final question of LL95 is... 95! (XCV)

I was in the final spot for promotion out of Taiga E div2 at the start of the day and played against my elder brother. A tie by us and my sister has a shot at the promotion spot. A double forfeit by us and two losses and my little sister has a shot at the promotion spot. Fun ending, whatever the reveal is in the morning.

In re the binary number question, I screwed up and forgot to start with the units column :oops: . I checked and re-checked the transcription because of the repeated ones digits to make sure I converted the right binary number. I dreaded adding up the 7 numbers until I noticed that the sums of consecutive even exponents add to multiples of ten, as well as the sums of consecutive odd exponents. ( 4+16, 8+32, 16+64, 32+128, etc...). It made the addition so easy, I never got to the fact that I didn't have way to make an odd number. A super question, and I'm going to look back a few seasons and see if all the finales are of this caliber.

Musicians? How about Simon and Garfunkel :lol: . I never heard of Plant or Page until a few years ago. I just looked and recognize two Led Zeppelin song titles.
My best guess for the oldest animated film that was feature length (I assume) was Bambi.
I'm hoping I get credit for just "the Terror", instead of Reign of Terror.
Reveal: Missing the math question cost me the promotion and my older bro is going to D.
To repeat the comment in the prologue - the math question was AWESOME - the final answer to LL95 was.... 95 :).
I've heard of Fantasia, but know nothing about the story. I assume it's well known for being a 1940 movie, or perhaps the first feature length film.
This was by far the worst season for TCA since my rookie season (15 seasons). I average 65 TCA and only had 53 this season. My sibs had similar drops, so this season must have been aimed at a more urbane demographic :lol: . We will catch up when the cycle comes back to the hicks in the sticks.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

My first RTFQ error, and it was on the last Q of the season. I put 95 and saw "Roman numerals" right when I pushed submit, but it was too late. Still won, and finished the season 20-3-2. Beat my previous record for wins in a season (it had been 17). Back up to B I go. 2nd in the rundle was 7 points behind me. I only had 74 CAA, which is the lowest number since LL78. That had a huge contribution to my wins total, as did an OE of .448.

See you next season, BarrettM & KendallDH! (And maybe others whose names I don't know.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

VC was also accepted for Roman numerals.

On the frustration side, I somehow goofed with PV=iRT and I was -so sure-. I was playing with house money though, so I kinda sped through the last day (and the pop music Q assured I wasn't beering day 25 anyway. Honestly, there can't be many people who've qualified for the championship, let alone lead an A rundle, going full teetotal...I don't think there's a quick way to crunch that number either...oog)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:23 am
mahatma wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:26 pm

Good luck to both of us!
You know who that player is, right? He posts here. :)
I do, to the extent that I 'know' anyone from these boards, OQL, LL, etc.

Like many, I pulled my first RTFQ of the season on MD25Q6. Perhaps not like many, I was assigned 3 points for this relatively simple math question, gave my opponent 0 for it, and it was also the only question that he got wrong. The 6(5)-9(5) kept me in 2nd for the season. Pobre cito.
Volante

Post by Volante »

:lol: Today's PBS Space Time talks about supercritical fluids and includes a bit about the ideal gas law

https://youtu.be/eyn7MusdQ9g?t=341

Unfortunately it uses the version -not- asked about (Boltzmann constant vs the gas constant) and if you used it, would've been scored wrong
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I made a chart for the people that finished #1 in A rundles. The x-axis is the number of total correct answers and the y-axis is the number of instances of each.

The person all the way to the left is in the Willow rundle.

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:54 pm I made a chart for the people that finished #1 in A rundles. The x-axis is the number of total correct answers and the y-axis is the number of instances of each.

The person all the way to the left is in the Willow rundle.
Spoiler
...I'll accept 2nd on the luckiest list. 69 CAA...damn. But even they had a 9(6) :D (As did everyone with a 126+)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Volante wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:20 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:54 pm The person all the way to the left is in the Willow rundle.
...I'll accept 2nd on the luckiest list. 69 CAA...damn. But even they had a 9(6) :D (As did everyone with a 126+)
There's something going on with the Willow rundle. The A rundle winner has 5 forfeit wins and only 7 people in the rundle have a forfeit.

And getting 69 CAA in A rundle is also something. Even with 5 forfeit wins.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:48 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:20 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:54 pm The person all the way to the left is in the Willow rundle.
There's something going on with the Willow rundle. The A rundle winner has 5 forfeit wins and only 7 people in the rundle have a forfeit.

And getting 69 CAA in A rundle is also something. Even with 5 forfeit wins.
Those are crazy numbers. Going through her whole season, she had 11 MD with 3 or less CAA plus the 5 forfeits. No clue how often someone wins in an A rundle with 2 TCA but she also won 2 matches with 2 correct answers. 69 CAA is 12 less than I had. In my C rundle.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It figures that the guy with the highest TCA in all of LL is in my rundle.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Since I had a lot of MCWA's this season, I was curious about Llamas' percentage of MCWAs out of their total wrong answers. I ran a quick spreadsheet, and the winner was LongL in Horizon A, who had 57.1% of their wrong answers being the MCWA. I had 31.9%, which came in at 666th out of the 27,364 Llamas, the 97th percentile. The percentages are skewed towards the higher rundles, presumably since they have fewer wrong answers. (A - 20.6%, B - 20.6%, C - 20.1%, D - 19.4%, E - 16.7%, R - 16.8%)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:06 am Since I had a lot of MCWA's this season, I was curious about Llamas' percentage of MCWAs out of their total wrong answers. I ran a quick spreadsheet, and the winner was LongL in Horizon A, who had 57.1% of their wrong answers being the MCWA. I had 31.9%, which came in at 666th out of the 27,364 Llamas, the 97th percentile. The percentages are skewed towards the higher rundles, presumably since they have fewer wrong answers. (A - 20.6%, B - 20.6%, C - 20.1%, D - 19.4%, E - 16.7%, R - 16.8%)
Looks like I was well above average at nearly 36% (14 out of 39). My career total is 22.5%.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:13 am
alietr wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:06 am Since I had a lot of MCWA's this season, I was curious about Llamas' percentage of MCWAs out of their total wrong answers. I ran a quick spreadsheet, and the winner was LongL in Horizon A, who had 57.1% of their wrong answers being the MCWA. I had 31.9%, which came in at 666th out of the 27,364 Llamas, the 97th percentile. The percentages are skewed towards the higher rundles, presumably since they have fewer wrong answers. (A - 20.6%, B - 20.6%, C - 20.1%, D - 19.4%, E - 16.7%, R - 16.8%)
Looks like I was well above average at nearly 36% (14 out of 39). My career total is 22.5%.
Thanks, Fearless Leader for the "quick" spreadsheet (an oxymoron for most of us who must futz).

I previously postulated that MCWA could be a bellwether to filter for cheating. It would be kind of hard to look up candidate MCWA's in order to keep your ledger balanced. (It all reminds me of Benford's law for frequency of digits - I think it is used to sniff out tax fraud.)
If you still have the "quick" spreadsheet, it would be second level geek interesting to know the sigma to see if it's viable to smell out cheating.

My career ratio is 278/1286 = 21.7% bouncing around between C(why :roll: )/D/E. I had 25/97 in LL95 = 25.7%. I won the Taiga Dawkins award in LL91 with 29/82 = 35.3%.

Another tidbit (if true) - According to posters on the message board (from the MD25Q6), you can get credited for an MCWA that doesn't meet the reporting threshold of 5%. Two people who submitted "95" instead of the roman numeral got credited (or confused). It seems a little fishy that there would be a filter to reward ten or twenty people, surely there's a bottom someplace.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:55 am Another tidbit (if true) - According to posters on the message board (from the MD25Q6), you can get credited for an MCWA that doesn't meet the reporting threshold of 5%. Two people who submitted "95" instead of the roman numeral got credited (or confused). It seems a little fishy that there would be a filter to reward ten or twenty people, surely there's a bottom someplace.
Yes, you get credited for a MCWA if it is below the 5% threshold but it's still the MCWA. I've had a couple of those I know of for sure (and probably many others I don't; hasn't been a stat I've kept track of really)

With 11,000+ people, the odds that the most common wrong answer covers only 10-20 people would be quite improbable...but if it's still the MCWA, then why not count it? The only MCWA I'd actually refuse to accept would be a null answer.