LL Season 95

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

LL Season 95

Post by Volante »

Rundles populated... and I got promoted to A despite not making the LL94 cut!

(After checking, one who did place got shuffled to a new rundle. I'll take it. I'll regret it :lol: , but I'll take it!)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: LL Season 95

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:18 pm Rundles populated... and I got promoted to A despite not making the LL94 cut!

(After checking, one who did place got shuffled to a new rundle. I'll take it. I'll regret it :lol: , but I'll take it!)
Oh yeah, that's Monday, isn't it?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I'm in C rundle again. But this time there are 5 players that get promoted to B at the end of the season instead of 3. Nice.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante

Post by Volante »

It begins!

And, as always, your perpetual reminder to not even whisper about present or future day's questions lest thee invoke the wrath of the ancient, and unforgiving, demon Ytirgetni
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Good luck, everyone!
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I should know by now that Thorsten likes to ask about recent foreign election results that make headlines but aren't that widely covered.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:51 am I should know by now that Thorsten likes to ask about recent foreign election results that make headlines but aren't that widely covered.
Yep, Current Events is my worst category, but I came across an article on Meloni within the last week or so and told myself to remember her name for this exact reason. It helped me to a 1-point win.

I am also surprised by the low get rate on venus flytrap, though my opponent did get it after I gave them a 0 on it. Maybe people who live near them had an advantage on that question?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:51 am I should know by now that Thorsten likes to ask about recent foreign election results that make headlines but aren't that widely covered.
I was fortunate that when she was elected, my Italian friend sent me a rather crude cartoon that ensured I would not forget her name.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:05 am

I was fortunate that when she was elected, my Italian friend sent me a rather crude cartoon that ensured I would not forget her name.

Shut Up Now And Kneel.

Maybe, maybe this impromptu mnemonic will help if the new UK PM (Rishi Sunak) shows up as a question, but I doubt if Thorsten will play the same card twice this season. A crude cartoon would be more effective, lol... I meant to imprint both of these names before the season but the deadline and start sneaked up on me, ergo no Private Rundle.

The Princess phone clue was a very effective Baby Boomer filter. I was surprised it was only 26%. Oh for the good old monopoly days where innovation meant you could have a desk phone or a wall phone, in black or beige. It's much better now, we just replaced twelvefootgirl's Ipad Pro and had the awesome choices of black or not quite as black :eyeroll:.

Nice start for me with 4 right due to wags on Philadelphia and the plant (not a wag really, after I figured it out). I don't know the Jack in the Beanstalk story that well, but the talking/singing? harp image just appeared from somewhere.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante

Post by Volante »

I was so excited when I read the math clue. Conjecture! I know one of those, Colletz! Then I read the question and realized I did -not- know the specific one.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:49 am I was so excited when I read the math clue. Conjecture! I know one of those, Colletz! Then I read the question and realized I did -not- know the specific one.
Not sure I've heard of the name before.

Also, now that I know the answer is "Bad", I still couldn't tell you the names of any of the three songs or the name of the rapper (and if I really cared enough, I'd look it up, but I don't).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:49 am I was so excited when I read the math clue. Conjecture! I know one of those, Colletz! Then I read the question and realized I did -not- know the specific one.
The Goldbach conjecture (every even number >2 is also the sum of two different primes) is my favorite mind blowing thing in number theory. How is that even possible and when/how did somebody even notice? I think it's more provocative than Fermat's Last Theorem. It's just so simple to understand, as opposed to the big kahuna of them all, the Reimann Hypothesis. The Colletz conjecture
Spoiler
I've just seen a few videos about it as the 3n+1 problem, and it seems gadget-y.
The wiki article is deeper than I thought, but still, it seems like looking for random sequences in the digits of pi. They are there. So what? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collatz_conjecture
just seems to be a numerology gimmick imho and I fail to see any real mathematical value to it.

I expected this would be a low get rate (it was 9%), and even with my geek interest in Numberphile videos, I had to toss a coin between Goldbach and Goldberg. One is the conjecture and one is the piano (keyboard) music written for insanely skilled pianists. I went with my first hunch, which is what we are told to do :). It did me no good as I got a zero for it and lost 3 (3) - 4 (4) in a rare show of good defense by me.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Cicciolina was the best I could come up with (though I must add that she also isn't widely covered).
I'm smart and I want respect.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:48 pm
The Goldbach conjecture (every even number >2 is also the sum of two different primes) is my favorite mind blowing thing in number theory. How is that even possible and when/how did somebody even notice? I think it's more provocative than Fermat's Last Theorem. It's just so simple to understand, as opposed to the big kahuna of them all, the Reimann Hypothesis. The Colletz conjecture
Spoiler
I've just seen a few videos about it as the 3n+1 problem, and it seems gadget-y.
The wiki article is deeper than I thought, but still, it seems like looking for random sequences in the digits of pi. They are there. So what? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collatz_conjecture
just seems to be a numerology gimmick imho and I fail to see any real mathematical value to it.

I expected this would be a low get rate (it was 9%), and even with my geek interest in Numberphile videos, I had to toss a coin between Goldbach and Goldberg. One is the conjecture and one is the piano (keyboard) music written for insanely skilled pianists. I went with my first hunch, which is what we are told to do :). It did me no good as I got a zero for it and lost 3 (3) - 4 (4) in a rare show of good defense by me.
Not necessarily two different primes!
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

This is my 27th season in LL...and for only the second time, I sit atop my rundle. This is the latest I've ever been at the top.
Screenshot 2022-11-10 at 06-50-26 LL95 MD3 Rundle E Foundry Div 2 Results.png
Screenshot 2022-11-10 at 06-50-26 LL95 MD3 Rundle E Foundry Div 2 Results.png (27.91 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
I'm sure it won't last but it looks purty!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

econgator wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:20 am Also, now that I know the answer is "Bad", I still couldn't tell you the names of any of the three songs or the name of the rapper (and if I really cared enough, I'd look it up, but I don't).
Bad Bunny! ;)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:25 pm
Not necessarily two different primes!
:oops: Kind of hard to get past 4 and 6 isn't it? Thanks. My good deed of recapping the conjecture gang aft agley. I don't think I understand the rules of engagement because it is obviously easy to add multiple 2's. One form of the conjecture says you can make every odd number >7 with 3 odd primes.
SBurrus wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:53 am This is my 27th season in LL...and for only the second time, I sit atop my rundle. This is the latest I've ever been at the top.
Screenshot 2022-11-10 at 06-50-26 LL95 MD3 Rundle E Foundry Div 2 Results.png
I'm sure it won't last but it looks purty!
Are you sure you haven't been in first on opening day with your early alphabet name :lol:.
Congrats. It's a little different vibe playing just one player per day but we should get our baby rundle going again next season :).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

While I was watching Jeopardy last night, I suddenly shouted out, "Imago!", thus startling Mrs. alietr. One of those answers that I wasn't even thinking about that I sat on long enough for my subconscious to come through for me.

But the best is that, years ago, I was visiting a friend in Utah, and he took me to see ... the Spiral Jetty. It is way the heck out in the middle of nowhere. It's interesting and we had a fun time, but it wasn't worth a several hour trip there and back from SLC.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:45 am But the best is that, years ago, I was visiting a friend in Utah, and he took me to see ... the Spiral Jetty. It is way the heck out in the middle of nowhere. It's interesting and we had a fun time, but it wasn't worth a several hour trip there and back from SLC.
I was actually planning a trip to SLC/Arches/Zion earlier this year (wasn't able to go), but while I was up around Promontory Summit, I was going to take a side trip to the Spiral Jetty.

Don't ever recall hearing of imago; I've always known it simply as "adult".
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Imago seems like a new word to me. Definitely unfamiliar with it. Seems like something that would come up in science fiction or video games so maybe I’ve just never noticed it and I’ll start seeing it now.