LL Season 95

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL Season 95

Post by SBurrus »

Being a fan of women's basketball allowed me to be the only one in my rundle to identify Immaculata; that question had a very low get rate league-wide on Wednesday.

Interestingly enough, a movie was made about the Immaculata dynasty called "The Mighty Macs"; it was the last movie I saw in a theatre back in 2009. Former Immaculata players Marianne Stanley and Theresa Grentz had cameos...as did former Immaculata coach Cathy Rush. I actually met Cathy Rush at the NCAAW East Regional back in 1987, when Grentz was coaching Rutgers (with Sue Wicks) and they played my alma mater, NC State, in the Sweet 16; I didn't know until halftime of the game that the woman I was sitting next to was the great Cathy Rush. Rutgers beat NC State that day, ending our season.

One other note: I answered "Technicolor Raincoat" for the musical question and Thorsten gave me credit for it, although it the correct answer was "Technicolor Dreamcoat". I guess putting "coat" in my answer qualified.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

SBurrus wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:00 am One other note: I answered "Technicolor Raincoat" for the musical question and Thorsten gave me credit for it, although it the correct answer was "Technicolor Dreamcoat". I guess putting "coat" in my answer qualified.
Thorsten was being very generous yesterday. I didn't read the question properly and got credit for "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat"
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I would have lost either way, but I got credit for "A Ticket to Paradise." I debated between "One Ticket" and "A Ticket," but never even considered just "Ticket!"
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

StevenH wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:25 am I would have lost either way, but I got credit for "A Ticket to Paradise." I debated between "One Ticket" and "A Ticket," but never even considered just "Ticket!"
I figured that omitted articles would be overlooked so answered "Ticket..."
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

StevenH wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:25 am I would have lost either way, but I got credit for "A Ticket to Paradise." I debated between "One Ticket" and "A Ticket," but never even considered just "Ticket!"
"One Ticket, etc." was not accepted.
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

Yesterday I drank a beer for only the fourth time in my LL career. But it did require me having to go the right way on the 50 50 90 guess between Community and Parks and Recreation. I have never watched either one, but I knew that they both premiered on NBC around the same time and vaguely recalled hearing the thing about Yahoo! Screen in regards to one of them. But Community was my first instinct, and the episode titles sounded more likely to me to be of a show called Community.

I also thought that the leatherback question would play easier than it did. I gave my opponent a 0 for that one without too much thought, and they missed it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

My gamble that my London opponent was more versed in Italian history than MLB paid off. We both 3'd Ruth/Aaron and 2'd Risorgimento (which I still have to copy/paste) and now I'm two wins away from having as many in A as I have in C.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I was sure the Art question was a trick. I knew the Arrangement In Gray and Black was Whistler's Mother...so I figured Arrangement in Gray and Black 2 must have been by someone else. I was fortunate to have won my match Friday because my opponent didn't know Whistler, either.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

SBurrus wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:24 am I was sure the Art question was a trick. I knew the Arrangement In Gray and Black was Whistler's Mother...so I figured Arrangement in Gray and Black 2 must have been by someone else. I was fortunate to have won my match Friday because my opponent didn't know Whistler, either.
Thorsten doesn't typically play tricks like that. Go with the obvious.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I knew chutney was derived from the Hindi "To Lick" and got the chaat clue wrong. If I had read the second half of the clue I still would have got it wrong. Weird instance of knowing a fact that wasn't helpful.

I don't think I've ever heard of the punk rock band Television. I guessed Agent Orange which sort of fit some parts of the clues.

Only two LL matches this week.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

A friend of mine is Richard Lloyd's drummer. He was humored by the question. Made that one easy, even though I knew Television anyway.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:29 am A friend of mine is Richard Lloyd's drummer. He was humored by the question. Made that one easy, even though I knew Television anyway.
I wasn't a fan of the usage of "few" to mean 4-5 decades...had me rule out television as a result. Ended up going with radar which was a little closer at least (though, after looking it up, probably not a 'few' decades earlier either.)

Not sure where I pulled Mercury out of, but I'm probably glad I did think of Saturn (know that's GM) cause that got me thinking planetarily.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm not sure I'm comfortable calling Television a "punk" band, either.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:44 pm I'm not sure I'm comfortable calling Television a "punk" band, either.
Proto-punk is closer to the mark. Since it gave rise to Richard Hell and the Voidoids (“Blank Generation”) I don’t think that would be a stretch.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:53 am
alietr wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:29 am A friend of mine is Richard Lloyd's drummer. He was humored by the question. Made that one easy, even though I knew Television anyway.
I wasn't a fan of the usage of "few" to mean 4-5 decades...had me rule out television as a result. Ended up going with radar which was a little closer at least (though, after looking it up, probably not a 'few' decades earlier either.)

Not sure where I pulled Mercury out of, but I'm probably glad I did think of Saturn (know that's GM) cause that got me thinking planetarily.
LOL, I think "few" definitely means 4-5 units of few-ness :). If you tell the policeman you've had a "few" beers, you might be trying to imply 4-5, but he hears it as 9. I was stopped at a roadblock once and made the mistake of saying I had a "couple" of beers (when I had exactly two of them in 4 hours), but I could tell that meant 7 beers to him so I got to do the drill.
I'm sure somebody has made rules for "few" and "several", but I don't think they will ever catch on.

I took Pontiac over Mercury, without reminiscing on the models I actually knew about like the Sable/Taurus and Marquis/Crown Vic. I just learned about 20 years ago about the fact that the brands have only differed by trim and snob appeal for several/few/many decades.

I have no clue about musicians in bands. If they aren't eponymous band names, I will never know who the lead singers or any frontmen are. I've found myself leaving more blanks in LL lately instead of just naming something if I don't have a hint of a guess. Thorsten left a bread crumb trail toward naming an invention, but I didn't get over my band-a-phobia to take a shot.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Couple = Two
Few = Three
Four = Four
Handful = Five
Bunch = More than five
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Couple = Two
Coupla = Indeterminate number two or greater
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

I had a RTFQ error on Skinner. I went to Pavlov immediately and didn't give it any more thought. I somehow overlooked the "namesake box" part of the clue.

I also got credit for "La Maz" for Le Mans. But I would have won either way.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Well, we're at approximately the halfway point of the season. How is everyone doing? I'm in second place in my rundle even though I'm a bit below my lifetime QPct (.722 to .753), although my defense has been good (.761 DE). I feel like I've been a bit lucky and there's probably a good chance I won't win as many games over the second half of the season.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

13th out of 26 at 6-6-0 with terrible (.585) defense and a whopping 39 TCA. And I lost to DHK again.