Thursday, November 17, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

I was disappointed in the SONGS FROM THE HIT ALBUM category only having two answers involving pre-1990 titles.
If they believe the newer material is more contestant friendly, it's odd that the two old albums used were placed in the top rows.

It's up to Sam now to keep this tournament from ending on Friday. I have been rooting for Andrew but now I kind of hope Sam can win at least one game to prolong the enjoyment of watching Amy have to play against top notch competition.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

cf1140 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:43 pm Anyone else go with Heinlein?
Yes. viewtopic.php?p=384403#p384403

It's hiding in there.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This was one banger of a lightbulb FJ for me, first five seconds are, "How in the blazes..." before absolutely everything clicked. SO AMAZING
Needed it too, after not coming up with Robeson in time and clamming on Bow cause I felt rushed.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:23 pm Some brutal boards for me. I'll count later, but I bet I stayed clam on about 40% of the board.

ETA: Close -- 23/60 = 38.3%.

FJ was no better, as I wouldn't have gotten Conrad with 100 guesses. I wouldn't have strayed from sci-fi/fantasy writers. Matched Amy with Lovecraft.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

If I had enough time to think about it I think I would have dredged the name Nostromo up and connected it to Conrad, but not in 30 seconds. I thought maybe it was going to be an author of Westerns and said L'Amour.
davey

Post by davey »

I remember The Duellists (Keith Carradine, Harvey Keitel), so I thought I could dredge up the author...But it wasn't till I focused on Alien that I vaguely remembered the ship is called the Nostromo. Happy to get the triple stumper!
Last edited by davey on Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Another Heinlein here. But I've never seen Aliens or any of the variations. Started with Dick, but remembered that was Blade Runner and probably 1,000 other movies, so not that remarkable from a trivia perspective.

One defense of Amy's FJ wager - if she doesn't shut out Andrew, the tournament could end right there. If Sam won a round, not as bad for her. I was a little less enchanted with the poor hunting for the last double and Amy's refusal to bet to win it right there when she found it on an $800 clue.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Anachronism wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:16 am Another Heinlein here. But I've never seen Aliens or any of the variations. Started with Dick, but remembered that was Blade Runner and probably 1,000 other movies, so not that remarkable from a trivia perspective.
Yeah, Blade Runner is famously Dick (or rather "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" is Dick) but that wouldn't necessarily rule him out for the others. Clarke is a little too smiley-happy in tone for Alien, but Heinlein could go dark from time to time; Ellison would have made more sense. Lovecraft is too old school.

And herewith my personal confession: once the name occurred to me, I couldn't get off of William Burroughs.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Anachronism wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:16 amOne defense of Amy's FJ wager - if she doesn't shut out Andrew, the tournament could end right there. If Sam won a round, not as bad for her.
That's a reasonable defense of Amy not wagering 15001, but it doesn't defend her actual wager of 6000, which risks losing to Sam if Sam bets 0 (as Category 13 pointed out).

It's an exactly-four-fifths scenario between Sam and Amy, so if this were a regular-play game in the pre-Arthur-Chu era (when a tie meant, both players return), then Sam might expect Amy to wager either 15000 or 5000, in which case Sam's two best wagers would be 10000 or 20000. That would still hold true in the tiebreaker era if both players believe they have the buzzer advantage.

However: Amy has no reason to think that Sam believes he has a buzzer advantage over her if there's a tiebreaker. Also (and probably more salient): Andrew's in this game so "sole get by third" has higher likelihood than normal and is something that both players may wish to guard against, more so than if this were a regular-play game.

If Andrew were not in FJ, and the scores were 25000 to 20000, then Amy might reasonably think, "Sam could wager 9999 to stay above my MSBIW, therefore if I don't wager 15001 then I ought to wager at least 5000, to beat Sam if we are both correct and he finishes the game with 29999." In that case, Amy's wager of 6000 would be fine.

However, Andrew is still a threat, not least because if he wins this game then he wins the tournament. Amy ought to be thinking that Sam would prefer a win by Amy over a win by Andrew. Therefore, Amy should figure that Sam will wager either more than 10000 or less than 6400. Since Sam is unlikely to wager between 6400 and 10000, Amy should wager either between 1400 and 4999 or 15001. Amy's wager of 6000 here is not defensible.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Located near the Oregon border, this Washington city with a double-talk name is famous for its wines & vineyards
... merits a link back to this thread: viewtopic.php?p=382496#p382496

I wonder if this clue was intended partly as a shout-out to recent champion David Sibley, the way that the category WEST VIRGINIA & REGULAR VIRGINIA (in this game) was inspired by something Margaret Shelton said in this game.

Tradition says the pilgrims set foot on this historic artifact on December 26, 1620
But in what sense is Plymouth Rock an artifact?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Mathew5000 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:42 am Tradition says the pilgrims set foot on this historic artifact on December 26, 1620
I didn't even think about it at the time, but you've got a point.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:23 am
Mathew5000 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:42 am Tradition says the pilgrims set foot on this historic artifact on December 26, 1620
I didn't even think about it at the time, but you've got a point.
Well, it has been modified since 1620 - it even broke apart and was repaired...
a usually simple object (such as a tool or ornament) showing human workmanship or modification as distinguished from a natural object
and it sort of fits this definition...some might say, even after that especially...
something or someone arising from or associated with an earlier time especially when regarded as no longer appropriate, relevant, or important
Harley R
Contributor

Post by Harley R »

The discussions of wagering here often leave me a bit cold.
We, of course, have the impossibly long ads period to make ours (anybody else ever fallen asleep during them?).
How long are the periods of the show that the players actually experience?
Long ago I went to a tryout where Alex was asked how long each show takes to tape.
He said: "Well, 30 minutes, of course." His tone and expression said "Not."
After the wham bam of 60 questions, doing the wager dance has to be tough.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Woppy T wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:31 pm Did Ken say the Nostromo was in Aliens?
Yes, he did. Sulaco was the ship in Aliens.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Golf wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:43 pm
theFJguy wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:00 pm Amy Schneider: 25000-6000=19000 (Winner & 2 match points)
Andrew He: 6800-5999=801 (2 match points)
Sam Buttrey: 20000-20000=0
These wagers make me one sad panda. Who said wagering was better in the ToC? :lol:

Hugo Z wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:29 pm Went through the crew names first, then finally the ship itself.
Dallas didn't lead you to S.E. Hinton?
No, but if the ship had been the Ponyboy...
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The Stone of Destiny, Plymouth Rock, and Walla Walla were all recent discussion topics on Ken's podcast.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

The two most common patterns of FJ answers are all right or all wrong.

Second place should play for the double miss and wager accordingly.

Unless there is a very specific reason to think they are a significantly more likely to get it right while first is wrong.

He should never let Andrew into the game. And Amy almost had to also lock out Andrew which prevents her from cover betting. So she is in a tricky spot. I’d rather 4999 max than what she did.

But at least we’re strategic decisions trying to account for expected non-standard wagers to account for the format.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Welp, Sam's now been robbed of one game and thrown another away. He's learned to hunt the DD but not to bet the FJ. He could and should be in the lead right now, the only player with 2 games won. I'm really depressed. Mrs. P reminded me of one Final Wager video where Keith Williams appears unshaven and disheveled, taking a swig from a vodka bottle before analyzing the FJ bets. She pictures him after this game tying off an arm with surgical tubing so he can stick a needle in before giving us his analysis.

I assume you all are in Friday's thread right now, discussing Andrew's or Amy's win. Sigh. I'll find out tomorrow.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Harley R wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:08 pm The discussions of wagering here often leave me a bit cold.
We, of course, have the impossibly long ads period to make ours (anybody else ever fallen asleep during them?).
How long are the periods of the show that the players actually experience?
Long ago I went to a tryout where Alex was asked how long each show takes to tape.
He said: "Well, 30 minutes, of course." His tone and expression said "Not."
After the wham bam of 60 questions, doing the wager dance has to be tough.
Naturally. That's why you practice ahead of time. EVERY prospective contestant who has received the call should pause the game before FJ and work out the wagers for all three players. This helps immensely in thinking not only what your wager should be but what the other players are likely to do. In practice, it would seem that almost no contestants undertake this discipline. For those of us hopefuls and dilettantes who have seen repeatedly how much leverage can be gained by doing this, we let off a little steam here by shaking our heads and clucking our tongues. Scroll past us. Indulge us. Whatever. But if you grumble, you get a lecture. Them's the rules.