FJs for the 11/14/22 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ clues did you solve correctly for the 11/14/22 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:48 pm

In July 2022 the ousted president of this country fled west across the Indian Ocean to the Maldives
40%
Name shared by a Victorian novelist & an 1805 flagship captain whose name is heard in a famous phrase
15%
Paul's letter to them is the New Testament epistle with the most Old Testament quotations
19%
Ridley Scott's first feature film, "The Duellists", was based on a story by this author to whom Scott's film "Alien" also pays tribute
22%
William the Conqueror's son built a fortress on a key northern river in 1080, giving this city its name
38%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
1%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
24%
YOUR U.S. HISTORY TEST $2000: An eyewitness account of the Boston Massacre said this man hit several soldiers with a club before he was shot
78%
COLD AROUND THE GLOBE $2000: It's permafrosty in this Russian place that's alphabetically last on the traditional Risk board
43%
20th CENTURY FICTION $2000: His 1912 novel "Riders of the Purple Sage" is considered one of the best Westerns
69%
Indonesia was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
13%
Philippines was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
4%
Gridley was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
10%
I correctly solved the Tuesday FJ! clue more from the author angle.
4%
I correctly solved the Tuesday FJ! clue more from the "famous phrase" angle.
10%
Romans was my response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
14%
Corinthians was my response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
32%
My response for the Wednesday FJ! clue was not Romans, Corinthians or Hebrews.
21%
My incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue matched a contestant with Lovecraft or Dick or Clarke.
7%
Heinlein was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
7%
I have seen the movie Alien and still missed the Thursday FJ! clue.
40%
Stratford upon Avon or Avon was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
8%
 I have set foot in Newcastle.
3%

Total votes: 72

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: FJs for the 11/14/22 week

Post by Robert K S »

I would have loved to have seen "I considered the correct response for the Wednesday clue but discarded it because I knew Paul's authorship was disputed" as a poll option.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:55 am I would have loved to have seen "I considered the correct response for the Wednesday clue but discarded it because I knew Paul's authorship was disputed" as a poll option.
I note it didn't affect the one poster who seemingly knows everything... ;)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:42 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:23 am
All the clues the writers got right, I got wrong. And vice versa. I'm checking the box that says "I ruled out Wednesday's 'correct' response because I knew that Hebrews is not generally considered to be by Paul and/or is not generally considered to be an epistle".
Don't you mean "specifically"? By those who have studied? I spent a fair amount of time in Sunday School and church in my misspent youth and shared both misapprehensions until this week. (It's possible that I didn't think of Hebrews because of some buried memory that eliminated it, but unlikely...) The latter might be better modified by "technically." I find the uncertainty with the number of "quotations" far more troubling...
I mean "not generally" in the sense of "not according to the general consensus". I believe there are some scholars who argue for Pauline authorship of Hebrews, maybe even some who argue it's a kind of epistle.

I don't find the problem with the quotation count more troubling, but it's definitely a second way to invalidate this clue. The quotation count problem didn't have any effect on my response. I was happy to concede that the writers had some non-controversial, agreed upon method for totting up quotations. Given time, I might have started to wonder whether that was a reasonable concession. But during the Think music, I concentrated on what seemed to be the TOMs and chose the most likely Pauline epistle. Romans. There are two letters to the Corinthians, which doesn't fit the clue, plus the Corinthians were Greeks and Paul didn't use the OT as much with them. Romans is 16 chapters long--the longest of Paul's letters, by far the longest once you eliminate 1 and 2 Corinthians--and it's all about using the OT to persuade Jewish Christians about the nature of faith and works. Romans was the best guess once Hebrews (and the Gospels, Acts, and Revelation) were excluded. It's just a bonus that this turns out to be arguably the correct response.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

My 12-year-old would have checked more correct boxes on this polling set than I did. He got Sri Lanka and Yakutsk. I couldn't pull either of those and was able to check only Crispus Attucks as a correct response. Oh well, it is TOC-level material at least. Enjoying the tourney, for sure.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :( :mrgreen:
:| :mrgreen: :|

Had a hunch is was Attucks but wasn't sure enough to guess.
I knew monday's final from reading about the cancelled WCQ matches involving Sri Lanka.
Tuesday was mostly a guess, but I figured Hardy was the most likely name to be in a phrase.
No idea on Wed or Thursday, Friday was an instaget
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

:( :( :D :D :(
:D :( :D

Based on the context of the epistle clue, I knew they had to be looking for Hebrews. I just assumed someone blew the phrasing that attributes the book's authorship to Paul.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I knew Hardy from Nelson's last words.