Friday, November 25, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, November 25, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

12% of 75?? OK, I can do that in my head. Just 7.5 plus 10% of that twice. I almost do that every day because my stupid Amazfit scale will not stay in Imperial units. I double my kilo weight add 10% of the doubled value plus 0.4 lb for the four sig figs value.

But I am gobsmacked at Ken's cheat code to take 75% of 12 instead. How did this escape me all this time because I usually hack all of my arithmetic ciphering, especially divisy's and gazinta's (channeling Jethro Bodine). THe beta-testing of this algorithm is in progress, I suspect it has very limited utility.

The Ball Four clue was very clever, but I think it would be hard to get there from the clue even in FJ time. It is highly unlikely that the ump literally said "Ball Four" each time, but perhaps there is a style guide that required it at the time. I think an audible call is only required on strikes and fouls, at least at the levels of play I've been involved in. At least on lower levels, you usually just hear "Take your base" if it is an obvious miss of the strike zone.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
goongas

Post by goongas »

They don't want you to think too deeply to figure out FJs, so it seems...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I really don't consider Billings, Montana to be a big tourist hotspot. Yellowstone County, Montana is not very close to Yellowstone National Park. Lame clue in my book.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I said Yellowstone while holding my nose. I knew it had to include Billings, but neither Glacier nor Yellowstone are particularly close to it. But since the Yellowstone is also a river that runs through Montana, I convinced myself that it was the better answer.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:51 am I said Yellowstone while holding my nose.
"Oooh, Woof I'm afraid we've got some bad news for you. Our judges have reviewed the tape and confirmed that you said 'Yellowstode,' so we're going to have to count that as a miss."
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:21 am
Woof wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:51 am I said Yellowstone while holding my nose.
"Oooh, Woof I'm afraid we've got some bad news for you. Our judges have reviewed the tape and confirmed that you said 'Yellowstode,' so we're going to have to count that as a miss."
Well played, O Flightless One
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:51 am I said Yellowstone while holding my nose. I knew it had to include Billings, but neither Glacier nor Yellowstone are particularly close to it. But since the Yellowstone is also a river that runs through Montana, I convinced myself that it was the better answer.
This also kinda doubled as a Current Events question: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Montana_floods
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:00 am I really don't consider Billings, Montana to be a big tourist hotspot. Yellowstone County, Montana is not very close to Yellowstone National Park. Lame clue in my book.
It's a bigger tourist spot than the places Holly and Sam named, though. And Holly's isn't even the name of a county.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

da Doctah wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:20 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:00 am I really don't consider Billings, Montana to be a big tourist hotspot. Yellowstone County, Montana is not very close to Yellowstone National Park. Lame clue in my book.
It's a bigger tourist spot than the places Holly and Sam named, though. And Holly's isn't even the name of a county.
Are you kidding? Bozeman is definitely a tourist spot and Flathead County is where Glacier National Park is located. I thought those were both pretty good guesses.

I considered Flathead, too, but couldn't see how it would be Montana's most populous county. Bozeman, on the other hand, has been growing like crazy (the population has doubled since 2020) largely due to incredible access to outdoor recreation, but I didn't know what county Bozeman is in. Turns out it's Gallatin and that's Montana's second most populous county.
davey

Post by davey »

I found "Ball Four" and "God Bless the Child" inexplicable stumpers...I guess another 2 instances where being of a certain age helps...
On the other hand, I assumed FJ had to be where Little Big Horn took place, which for some reason I thought might be "Big Horn"... :oops:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:12 pm On the other hand, I assumed FJ had to be where Little Big Horn took place, which for some reason I thought might be "Big Horn"... :oops:
The Battle of Little Bighorn is in Big Horn (why it's not "Bighorn", I don't know) County...
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

22/4, 24/2
runs: Math 8-) , Garden, "Ha", 2-Word Book Titles, Flag,

trash: 1, 9, Ball Four DD
betting: :D :D :D :x
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:28 pm
davey wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:12 pm On the other hand, I assumed FJ had to be where Little Big Horn took place, which for some reason I thought might be "Big Horn"... :oops:
The Battle of Little Bighorn is in Big Horn (why it's not "Bighorn", I don't know) County...
So at least I was right about something...
davey

Post by davey »

davey wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:12 pm I found "Ball Four" and "God Bless the Child" inexplicable stumpers...I guess another 2 instances where being of a certain age helps...
I feel moved to clarify that I'm from the era of Lady Sings the Blues, not that of Ms. Holiday herself... :) Though she is of course, timeless...
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I feel like this is a garbage Final. It should have been left on the cutting room floor. Yes the basic facts are factual, Yellowstone County is the most populous and it did grow 11%. But the entire State grew 9.6% so that 11% figure is not remotely notable. And the clue "this county that attracts tourists"....yeah, this is the garbage part. Lots of people could get this right by assuming they are referring to a large tourist destination like Yellowstone National Park, but as said above, it's not in this county or even particularly near it. I don't know much about the Billings Tourism Board and don't particularly care to research it but sure I'm guessing a few people visit Billings and its county but not in any particularly notable numbers.

It feels like either they assumed Yellowstone County contained or was adjacent to Yellowstone National Park, and just lazily didn't bother to confirm this fact, or they knew it wasn't but figured they'd leave the fake clue anyway to get people to the right answer. Either explation is pretty awful, I don't know which is worse.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:30 am I feel like this is a garbage Final. It should have been left on the cutting room floor. Yes the basic facts are factual, Yellowstone County is the most populous and it did grow 11%. But the entire State grew 9.6% so that 11% figure is not remotely notable. And the clue "this county that attracts tourists"....yeah, this is the garbage part. Lots of people could get this right by assuming they are referring to a large tourist destination like Yellowstone National Park, but as said above, it's not in this county or even particularly near it. I don't know much about the Billings Tourism Board and don't particularly care to research it but sure I'm guessing a few people visit Billings and its county but not in any particularly notable numbers.

It feels like either they assumed Yellowstone County contained or was adjacent to Yellowstone National Park, and just lazily didn't bother to confirm this fact, or they knew it wasn't but figured they'd leave the fake clue anyway to get people to the right answer. Either explation is pretty awful, I don't know which is worse.
I think the clue is referring to the county attracting tourists to Billings airport that then drive to the Northeast corner of Yellowstone National Park.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Got FJ on a lucky guess as I wasn't sure exactly where the park is. Gives me a 5/5 week right after going 0/5.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

cf1140 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:44 am
jeff6286 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:30 am I feel like this is a garbage Final. It should have been left on the cutting room floor. Yes the basic facts are factual, Yellowstone County is the most populous and it did grow 11%. But the entire State grew 9.6% so that 11% figure is not remotely notable. And the clue "this county that attracts tourists"....yeah, this is the garbage part. Lots of people could get this right by assuming they are referring to a large tourist destination like Yellowstone National Park, but as said above, it's not in this county or even particularly near it. I don't know much about the Billings Tourism Board and don't particularly care to research it but sure I'm guessing a few people visit Billings and its county but not in any particularly notable numbers.

I think the clue is referring to the county attracting tourists to Billings airport that then drive to the Northeast corner of Yellowstone National Park.
Even still, Bozeman airport is both busier and significantly closer, so it kinda fails there, too.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:37 pm
cf1140 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:44 am

Even still, Bozeman airport is both busier and significantly closer, so it kinda fails there, too.
I love it how this time around the writers end up being -technically- correct on all aspects of the clue...and we're complaining how they're wrong in a philosophical sense :lol: "How DARE you have us come up with the right answer for the wrong reasons!"

They've pulled this trick before though and it's one of their favorites. I distinctly remember having this conversation before, too, but damned if I can remember when it was and I'm not exactly sold on flipping through listfjs.php...cause...like...Dragonflight just dropped...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:49 pm
I love it how this time around the writers end up being -technically- correct on all aspects of the clue...and we're complaining how they're wrong in a philosophical sense :lol: "How DARE you have us come up with the right answer for the wrong reasons!"

They've pulled this trick before though and it's one of their favorites. I distinctly remember having this conversation before, too, but damned if I can remember when it was and I'm not exactly sold on flipping through listfjs.php...cause...like...Dragonflight just dropped...
I remember this one, where the clue wanted us to make the connection with Hobbes's Leviathan though the quote was referring to other giants entirely...
viewtopic.php?p=356688#p356688