Monday, November 28, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 28, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Monday, November 28, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box score
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

Our local station, WABC-TV 7, New York City, lists today's match as a 'repeat'. They use Titan TV listings, which also says 'repeat'. Say it ain't so!
I'm a bit skittish since we missed Friday night's episode due to college football.
Ch 7 showed the game in the overnight spot they use for re-runs. But, the whole nighttime schedule was pushed back 45 minutes or so, I suppose due to football games running late.
So, despite extending the recording time to 60 minutes, we missed most of the second half of the match.
Upon further review, my Optimum cable guide says it's new.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHILDREN’S AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Reversing the story of this heroine she created, Patricia MacLachlan was born on the prairie but spent much of her life in New England

Cris Pannullo: 39800-0=39800 (16x = $566,344)
Michael Harten: 5600-2000=3600
Xanni Brown: 19400-1114=18286

Correct response:
Spoiler
Sarah (Wheaton) from Sarah, Plain and Tall (Cris – Ann of Green Gables) (Michael – Anne of Green Gables) (Xanni – Anne of Green Gables)

Daily Doubles
Xanni: 2200+2200
Cris: 9000+9000
Cris: 20800+7800

Coryats
Cris: 25800
Michael: 5600
Xanni: 18200

Combined: 49,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Cris: 5400
Michael: 1600
Xanni: 8600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Siriano was just asking to set up the rebound. :lol:

Ken has fun reacting to some responses and today he slipped in a, "I'll try" in the SLANG category And what was DD1 doing there? :roll:

Tom Joad actor a TS? Come on, that movie is only 82 years ago.

Xanni outplayed Cris in the J! round as even with 2200 taken away from her DD1 gain leaves 6400--1000 higher than Cris' total.

If challengers want to spend time in the DJ! round going to ABBREV. TV that only helps Cris who got things back on track to find DD2 and DD3 for +16800 to barely lock the match with Xanni playing so well. Xanni has to be first page on the SCC list for next season.

The FJ! clue had me needing almost all the time as the author's name meant nothing to me. I had to read the clue twice to understand I needed a character and that the path of the character was the opposite of the author.

I know enough about Anne to name the author, the character's last name and PEI to know not to match the players. Having time only for first name (no clue on last name) and no time for the book/TV title I'm gonna count myself correct and I suspect that would have been enough.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

bkellysky wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:33 am Our local station, WABC-TV 7, New York City, lists today's match as a 'repeat'.
No it doesn't.
Douglas Squasoni
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

23/0, 28/1 :o (missed Appaloosa, clammed Dawson's Creek)
runs: Cards, Brit History, 6-Letter Words, Around the Globe, Major
trash: House of Lords

betting: :D :D :D :( matched the contestants.
It is my firm belief that if a FJ! leads to all three contestants giving the same wrong answer, it's a bad clue.
waterloo_guy
Valued Contributor

Post by waterloo_guy »

DBear wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:35 pm 23/0, 28/1 :o (missed Appaloosa, clammed Dawson's Creek)
runs: Cards, Brit History, 6-Letter Words, Around the Globe, Major
trash: House of Lords

betting: :D :D :D :( matched the contestants.
It is my firm belief that if a FJ! leads to all three contestants giving the same wrong answer, it's a bad clue.
I might agree if there was really anything in the clue that could lead to that wrong answer but other than the fact that the character was born in one place and spent most of her life in another, there was nothing in the clue to indicate that the answer might be Anne of Green Gables. I found it extremely weird that all three of them came up with "Anne" as their answer.
My answer was "Sarah, Plain and Tall" as I had no idea of the character's actual name. it was a wild guess based on ad for a TV movie based on the book, feat uring a tall teenage girl in a wheat field.

EDIT: Given that Glenn Close played the title character in that movie from 1991, I don't know where I got the idea of a teenage girl.
Last edited by waterloo_guy on Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

waterloo_guy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:47 pm I might agree if there was really anything in the clue that could lead to that wrong answer but other than the fact that the character was born in one place and spent most of her life in another, there was nothing in the clue to indicate that the answer might be Anne of Green Gables. I found it extremely weird that all three of them came up with "Anne" as their answer.
To be fair, I would say that we are slightly more familiar with that material north of the border.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
waterloo_guy
Valued Contributor

Post by waterloo_guy »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:49 pm
waterloo_guy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:47 pm I might agree if there was really anything in the clue that could lead to that wrong answer but other than the fact that the character was born in one place and spent most of her life in another, there was nothing in the clue to indicate that the answer might be Anne of Green Gables. I found it extremely weird that all three of them came up with "Anne" as their answer.
To be fair, I would say that we are slightly more familiar with that material north of the border.
Fair enough. But I still think that, in this case, all three giving the same wrong answer does not mean it was a bad clue. I wold only think that that would apply if the clue obviously pointed to more than one book.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:31 pm
bkellysky wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:33 am Our local station, WABC-TV 7, New York City, lists today's match as a 'repeat'.
No it doesn't.
Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 17-52-03 TV Listings ABC7 News Shows & Schedules.png
Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 17-52-03 TV Listings ABC7 News Shows & Schedules.png (258.08 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

bkellysky wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:54 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:31 pm
No it doesn't.
Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 17-52-03 TV Listings ABC7 News Shows & Schedules.png
Is this argument really necessary?

Seriously—with incredibly rare exception (as in, the only time it's happened since the fall of 1986 was due to a worldwide pandemic, election coverage during Ken Jennings's streak, and the death of the host), Jeopardy! is new every weekday between the second Monday in September and the 46th Friday following. If it shows something different, it's a mistake and not to be trusted.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

Count us both for "Sarah Plain and Tall." What's the ruling? Would that have been enough? No chance that I would have come up with Sarah Wheaton.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I've heard of Sarah, Plain and Tall, but there's zero chance I would have come up with it. I know who wrote Anne, so I had nothing.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

DavidRosen wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:32 pm Count us both for "Sarah Plain and Tall." What's the ruling? Would that have been enough? No chance that I would have come up with Sarah Wheaton.
I'd say count it.

I'll also say that the fact that all three had the same wrong answer doesn't mean it was a bad clue. Their answer clearly didn't follow what the clue was leading to, so it wasn't negbait. They just didn't have anything else (like me).
davey

Post by davey »

FJ was highly frustrating for me since I knew exactly what book was being referenced but blanked except for... Plain and Tall... :roll:
I'm very surprised they all gave the same bad response, since Lucy Maud Montgomery is a better known author, and I would guess far more people know the title from the Glenn Close tv movie than the books...
I don't see why anything more than Sarah would be required for this response.
I noticed that the closed captioner tonight gave the Canon in D composer as Pachebel which it sounded like Xanni might have said...I was concerned that she was going to get a deduction before FJ... But then the cc'er rendered Ken's utterance as Pachebel too, though he clearly slipped the l before b in there, so I figured it wasn't going to happen...not that it would have mattered since she was out of Cris's reach anyway... :roll: Nothing against Cris, I just want him to have competition!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

*shakes fist* Appaloosa!!! (29R DJ round...)
waterloo_guy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:02 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:49 pm
Fair enough. But I still think that, in this case, all three giving the same wrong answer does not mean it was a bad clue. I wold only think that that would apply if the clue obviously pointed to more than one book.
Yep, it's the natural result of the "don't leave it blank" train of thought.

Same reason Celine Dion scored higher than the correct response *blows dust off poll* here:
viewtopic.php?t=749
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)