Wednesday, November 30, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 30, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Wednesday, November 30, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box score
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FLAGS OF OUR HEMISPHERE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The stars on this country’s flag represent states, 26 of them; unlike the USA’s, its "federal district" gets its own 27th star

Cris Pannullo: 28800-1221=27579 (18x = $637,923)
Jeannette Bonjour: 3600+3000=+6600
Randall Rayford: 12600-0=12600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Brazil (Cris – Mexico) (Jeannette – Mexico Brazil) (Randall – Venezuela)

Daily Doubles
Cris: 800+1000
Cris: 9600+7600
Cris: 24800-4000

Coryats
Cris: 26800
Jeannette: 3600
Randall: 12600

Combined: 43,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Cris: 8400
Jeannette: 800
Randall: 6200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Cris on DD2 reminded me of Alex vs. Arthur Chu when the name came up.

Ken worked in a "Very nice" at just the right time as he knows his movies.

Jeannette took an opening skunk segment (+ more after the break) before getting in and unfortunately, for her, only got the pride moment with the sole solve of the FJ! clue.

The FJ! clue was a silly miss from me as I knew enough not to match Cris' guess and figured out it was likely a big country to narrow it down to 2 SA countries. Even though I've seen plenty of flags this month watching soccer I had a silly mental lapse to write Argentina thinking there was action around the sun.

What a way to throw away 7 in a row right in dismissing the correct response to try to make the clue more difficult than it was. A plain mental lapse on my part.

Unlike 2004, today's super champ was able to close out Nov. with a win.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

OUR hemisphere? That only eliminates what, 20 countries? Oceania and a handful of African nations completely south of the equator?

Am I missing something here?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

26/1, 23/2 8-)
runs: Elementary, Divided, Foreign, Quote "Me", Fightin' Words
trash: Greek to me DD, in the earth, Donnybrook

betting: :D :D :D :mrgreen: matched Jeanette
26 states + Federal District led me to Mexico at first.
Knew they didn't have stars, easily switched to the correct country.
Last edited by DBear on Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Golf wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:59 pm OUR hemisphere? That only eliminates what, 20 countries? Oceania and a handful of African nations completely south of the equator?

You're taking it to mean "northern hemisphere", whereas I took it to mean--as I think most would--the "western hemisphere". Basically, we're narrowing things down to the New World.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:05 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:59 pm OUR hemisphere? That only eliminates what, 20 countries? Oceania and a handful of African nations completely south of the equator?

You're taking it to mean "northern hemisphere", whereas I took it to mean--as I think most would--the "western hemisphere". Basically, we're narrowing things down to the New World.
If the writers wanted to be nasty, they could've made the clue about a West African country. ;)
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:05 pm You're taking it to mean "northern hemisphere", whereas I took it to mean--as I think most would--the "western hemisphere". Basically, we're narrowing things down to the New World.
I'm saying which hemisphere do they mean? It could be northern, it could be western. Since they didn't specify, the only countries we can eliminate are those in the eastern hemisphere completely south of the equator. And as I stated, there aren't many of those.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Golf wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:24 pm

Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:05 pm You're taking it to mean "northern hemisphere", whereas I took it to mean--as I think most would--the "western hemisphere". Basically, we're narrowing things down to the New World.
I'm saying which hemisphere do they mean? It could be northern, it could be western. Since they didn't specify, the only countries we can eliminate are those in the eastern hemisphere completely south of the equator. And as I stated, there aren't many of those.
Understood: it's yet another "read the writers' minds" clue (at least in terms of category), but in this case, I think the mind-reading is a bit easier, better implied by common convention when talking about the globe.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Could not tell you any Toby Keith songs. Negged with Dixie.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

Easy FJ. But why was the category called "Flags of OUR HEMISPHERE"? They could have just called it World Flags. Only a small bit of Brazil is in the Northern Hemisphere.

Edit: I now realize they meant the WESTERN hemisphere.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

I'm more concerned about the word "Our" in the category title. Are they telling us that this version of Jeopardy! isn't seen outside the Northern and Western Hemispheres? Or are they simply reminding us that those people in other hemispheres aren't among "our" people?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Xu Donym wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:40 pm I'm more concerned about the word "Our" in the category title.
It is certainly not new to Jeopardy! to self-identify as an American television program. Even Alex Trebek, originally a Canadian, would frequently use phrases like "here in this country", "our country", and "us" to refer to the U.S. and Americans.

I can also say from experience that Jeopardy! is all but unknown in the Eastern hemisphere, except to expats.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Xu Donym wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:40 pm I'm more concerned about the word "Our" in the category title. Are they telling us that this version of Jeopardy! isn't seen outside the Northern and Western Hemispheres? Or are they simply reminding us that those people in other hemispheres aren't among "our" people?
Does this version air anywhere outside of the US and Canada?

I took it to mean the Western Hemisphere but I certainly understand others' confusion. I don't see why they just didn't say "Flags of the World/Western Hemisphere" to make it clearer.

I matched the lady in starting with Mexico but switching to Brazil.

I wonder if Cris' bet on the Declaration of Independence was meant to pay homage to the category or he really wanted to hold back $2,000. Seems like a good place to bet it all. You know it is going to be a fairly well known person from a specific era of American history.

Fun fact...Button Gwinnett is buried just a couple hundred feet from his dueling opponent, Lachlan McIntosh, in Savannah.

I visited Gerry's grave this past summer. Disappointed his stone wasn't a bizarre shape.
tomwolf2008
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by tomwolf2008 »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:54 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:24 pm

Understood: it's yet another "read the writers' minds" clue (at least in terms of category), but in this case, I think the mind-reading is a bit easier, better implied by common convention when talking about the globe.
I would also say even if the title is a little confusing, a country with 20 something provinces/states/districts (whatever other yet they choose to use), AND with that many stars on its flag? There aren’t that many of them. I’d even say this is a WECIB.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:49 pm
Xu Donym wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:40 pm I'm more concerned about the word "Our" in the category title.
It is certainly not new to Jeopardy! to self-identify as an American television program. Even Alex Trebek, originally a Canadian, would frequently use phrases like "here in this country", "our country", and "us" to refer to the U.S. and Americans.

I can also say from experience that Jeopardy! is all but unknown in the Eastern hemisphere, except to expats.
I know that some countries have briefly had local versions, but in this day of global syndication I can't help but wonder about the reach of the flagship show. And Alex would often look askance at Americans for dreadful gaps in knowledge of Canada, enough so that his "our" was encouragingly broad. But I'm glad that a small northern portion of Brazil allows even the finicky to accept the clue on a technicality, even though "the Americas" would have been a superior pin to "our hemisphere."
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $36,200

44 R (1 DD), 3 W (Only knew Gerry)

FJ: :( Argentina

LT: John Hancock, donnybrook

Categories Swept: COLORFUL SONG TITLE
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Shocked they not get John Hancock.

Apparently i dont pay attention to Brazils Flag Enough