2023 RIP thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: 2023 RIP thread

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Perhaps more appropriate to LearnedLeague or other online quizzing, but composer Ryuichi Sakamoto passed away last Tuesday. He won an Oscar for the score for The Last Emperor, and is also known scoring the David Bowie film "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence".

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/02/arts ... -dead.html

No hits in the J-Archive. The only Sakamoto there is Kyu Sakamoto, performer of the only Japanese-language Billboard number 1, "Sukiyaki".
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Boardgame designer Klaus Teuber, 70. He won the prestigious Spiel des Jahres award in 1995 for The Settlers of Catan, by far his most popular and famous game (and probably the most famous "Euro"-style game ever), but had won that prize three times previously: for Barbarossa in 1988, Adel Verpflichtet (published in English as Hoity Toity) in 1990, and Drunter und Drüber (published in English as Wacky Wacky West) in 1991.
https://www.dicebreaker.com/games/catan ... asses-away

("Catan" has three archive hits but Teuber himself does not.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
davey

Post by davey »

Logan Roy, CEO of media giant Waystar Royco-
https://www.vulture.com/article/logan-r ... royco.html
Spoiler
Yes, I know...But he's more likely to show up on J! because he died than many people in this thread...
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:47 am Logan Roy, CEO of media giant Waystar Royco-
Spoiler
Yes, I know...But he's more likely to show up on J! because he died than many people in this thread...
I'm ashamed of how long it took me to realize this wasn't real and is a spoiler for a show I don't watch.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Master of the Mad Magazine fold-in, cartoonist Al Jaffee, at age 102.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/10/arts ... -dead.html

Not a single Archive hit. :(
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:47 pm Master of the Mad Magazine fold-in, cartoonist Al Jaffee, at age 102.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/10/arts ... -dead.html

Not a single Archive hit. :(
There's a sort of comfort there for those of us who fear the game passing us by to realize it had already done so decades ago.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

Ben Ferencz, 103, last surviving prosecutor from the Nuremberg trials in 1946.

Several archive hits for the city, none for Ferencz. I could see his name being used in a clue that asks for Nuremberg, or asked for in a $2000 clue in a category about famous people named Ben.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

davey wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:47 am Logan Roy, CEO of media giant Waystar Royco-
Spoiler
This is a HUGE spoiler for an episode that first aired less than 14 hours prior. Could you put it under a spoiler tag next time you post a fictional death for a very popular TV show right after it airs? I didn't have time to watch Sunday evening and didn't expect a J! thread to ruin the fun for me.
davey

Post by davey »

kerryoakie wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:49 am
Spoiler
This is a HUGE spoiler for an episode that first aired less than 14 hours prior. Could you put it under a spoiler tag next time you post a fictional death for a very popular TV show right after it airs? I didn't have time to watch Sunday evening and didn't expect a J! thread to ruin the fun for me.
You're right. My apologies. I should have waited. My only excuse is that it blew up on social media and I didn't think it was avoidable. (it was also heavily hinted before the episode aired.)
I think it's the same impulse that makes people want to post real deaths before people can hear about them in the media. I've criticized others for that, so I should be ashamed for succumbing myself...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

What is wrong with someone posting about a real person dying before others read about it in the media? A message board isn’t any different than seeing it in a Twitter thread.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:05 pm What is wrong with someone posting about a real person dying before others read about it in the media? A message board isn’t any different than seeing it in a Twitter thread.
Wasn't a real person, it was a fictional character on a TV show.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:23 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:05 pm What is wrong with someone posting about a real person dying before others read about it in the media? A message board isn’t any different than seeing it in a Twitter thread.
Not really a disqualifier though... https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4690
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:23 pm
I was responding to davey’s comment about people posting about real deaths before others hearing about them in the media.

Side note…never heard of the guy who “died”.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Mary Quant, the "mother of the miniskirt", age 93. She has seventeen hits in the archive, almost all of them dealing with the miniskirt.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Barry Humphries, aka Dame Edna Everage, at 89, from complications from hip surgery. At least 12 Archive appearances, the first being a personal appearance to read a clue.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Oboist Blair Tindall, whose 2005 memoir Mozart in the Jungle was adapted into a 4-season TV series for Amazon. (1 Archive hit.)

Her 2006 marriage to Bill Nye the Science Guy was annulled after 7 weeks. I recommend checking out the "Personal Life" section of his wiki page for the rest of that story.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Len Goodman, competitive dancer, dance expert, and long-time judge of Dancing with the Stars, at 78, of bone cancer. I loved all three of the judges but I paid special attention when Len spoke; he tended to approach the dances from the more technical/academic and traditional angle, whereas Bruno and Carrie-Ann seemed more wowed by passion, spirit, verve.

One Archive hit in a 2018 BEFORE & AFTER category. (His co-judge Carrie-Ann Inaba has a lot more hits.)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Harry Belafonte, at 96.

At least 30 Archive hits that mention his name and probably a lot more hits on his songs in clues where his name wasn't mentioned.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Former Cincinnati Mayor Jerry Springer dies at 79.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:43 am Former Cincinnati Mayor Jerry Springer dies at 79.
Yes, that's what he's most famous for.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.