Monday, January 16, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 16, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Monday, January 16, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box score
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BUSINESS MILESTONES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These were first sold in 1908, at a price equivalent to about $27,000 today

Yogesh Raut: 23800-999=22801
Jimmy Davoren: 11400-11400=0
Katie Palumbo: 25600-2500=23100 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Ford Model T (Yogesh – treasury bonds) (Jimmy – gov. bond) (Katie – cars)

Daily Doubles
Yogesh: 3200+3200
Yogesh: 17600+5000
Katie: 16400+8000

Coryats
Yogesh: 18600
Jimmy: 11400
Katie: 18800

Combined: 48,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Yogesh: 9200
Jimmy: 3400
Katie: 5600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Yogesh was 8/9 on wagering clues and that one miss was enough to unseat him. Four games in and he was still was all over the place with the buzzer timing.

Like winning from the middle, it's been very rare this season for a woman to win in regular play. Congrats to Katie for having the lead for the FJ! round and being the closest to solving the triple stumper.

The FJ! clue stumped me and I wrote Coca Cola shares to have something on my paper.

Yogesh has great numbers on LL, but his next to worst category? BUSINESS & ECON. He needs someone to go on a long run to chew up games and with the now annual gap for ToCs to have a chance to make it back in the fall. I'm not buying for a second the jazz about having to have four wins to make a ToC.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

I was tempted to say he should have gone all in on the second DD....but he still likely would have lost in a 2/3 wagering scenario on a triple miss.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Poorly-pinned FJ! IMO. Contestants are going to think of general objects & not a specific brand, as Katie showed.
Puzzled at the fellas looking at the financial sector. :?
Knew cars were around, so I guessed airplanes. :(
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

DBear wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:47 pm Poorly-pinned FJ! IMO. Contestants are going to think of general objects & not a specific brand, as Katie showed.
The New York Times (page C4) showed a category of "Business & Industry", and a clue of "This was first sold..."

To me, this is an acknowledgment that the show knew in hindsight that the clue was poorly pinned and attempted to rectify it for the Times.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

FWIW, the first airplane was sold the following year, by Curtiss.

"Planes" did cross my mind, but it quickly dawned on me that airplanes wouldn't be assembly-line articles of manufacture that soon, and the "these" in the clue suggested standardized production (at a standardized price). Once that realization solidified, the correct response snapped into place.
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:34 pm To me, this is an acknowledgment that the show knew in hindsight that the clue was poorly pinned and attempted to rectify it for the Times.
I dunno, seems the Times version is worse in both respects. At least, both of those changes would have hindered me from getting the right response.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

what a bold wager.
I was hoping Jimmy was able to get 12k. kind of disheartened he couldn't grab it.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I thought it was a tough clue with being written so vague, I was similarly baffled like they were thinking about stocks and bonds given the pluralizing, but then I figured it out after considering what is something that costs around $27,000 today. I wondered about US patents or something like shares of stock in a particular company.

I think of Henry Ford as selling the Model T, singular, so I think the use of plural is actively misleading, even though obviously he sold many of them. So I would agree with J! making the change for the NYT although I 'm not sure what purpose it serves to publish a different version than is used on the show. Contrary to Robert I think both changes are useful, as Business & Industry definitely points more toward a physically manufactured product as opposed to anything in the financial sector like shares of stock or treasury bonds.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:34 pm
DBear wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:47 pm Poorly-pinned FJ! IMO. Contestants are going to think of general objects & not a specific brand, as Katie showed.
The New York Times (page C4) showed a category of "Business & Industry", and a clue of "This was first sold..."

To me, this is an acknowledgment that the show knew in hindsight that the clue was poorly pinned and attempted to rectify it for the Times.
I don't think it's a matter of poorly pinned, more like "hard to solve". The new clue is not any more pinned, as far as I can see, but as I mentioned in my prior post I think the changes could help people figure it out. As far as pinned, there may have been some other item available for sale starting in 1908 for $850 but I can't think of anything plausible. The only thing most people buy that costs more than a car is a house.

"An all-event pass to the London Olympics", was the best hypothetical alternate guess I could come up with. But those could have been sold in 1907 or earlier!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I was able to get it, and fairly quickly, and that is my definition of it passing muster.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I don't think I have seen so glorious a head of hair on Jeopardy! since seaborgium's fifth game. (For those of you who don't recall, his girlfriend Delilah made him get a haircut over the summer and the rest is history.)

What a finish. Yogesh made a savvy wager from second and, given that Katie missed FJ, it seemed likely to pay off. Indeed, if Yogesh had managed to come up with the Model T it would have paid off. Assuming Katie's low wager means she hated the category, she actually overwagered and got lucky that Yogesh also missed the clue.

Yogesh looked perhaps a little peeved or stunned. I would have been both. But I may be using the circumstances to over-interpret his basic poker face. In any event, I'm sure this was a blow to someone who had the capability to become a superchamp if only he could master that stinking buzzer. And to lose in that way, to a deliberate underwager. Ouch.

I'm surprised that the clue proved so difficult, both for the players and at least in the early returns, for our boardies. The correct response occurred to me rather quickly just thinking about what was being sold for the first time around 1908. I considered going more generic, as Katie did, with just automobiles. But that didn't seem as likely. I also was fairly tempted by the Model A which preceded the Model T (turns out Model A began selling in 1903) and might be considered the milestone that started it all. Pushing me somewhat in this direction was the song "Trouble" from The Music Man which mentions the Model T Ford as a symbol of modernity and specifies that the year is 1912. Despite these concerns, I stuck to my guns. On Jeopardy! when it seems to me like a choice between Model A and Model T, it's always Model T. Final answer RegisAlexKen.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Wow!! A thriller. I think I’m betting nothing from third there and Katie is obviously very fortunate, but it worked out and she deserved to win after her DD wager.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Should 2nd place have bet $0, assuming he didn’t love the category?
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

i got a FJ triple Stumper. wow.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I answered fj right as well, but the writers are continuing their pattern of trying to be too clever for their own good. That question is not pinned enough, especially when they are using inflation estimates to describe the price of the car. They should have included the original price of the car as well.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

mahatma wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:19 pm Should 2nd place have bet $0, assuming he didn’t love the category?
Yes. I’m also not sure why Katie bet enough to drop below Yogesh if he wagered 0. They both had a strategy, but I don’t think either was optimal for that choice.

If Counting on a difficult FJ both should assume a double miss.

Grew up in Michigan. Insta-get. Plus I had to write a paper in college on automotive planned obsolescence which in a way was a response to the model T.