Tuesday, January 17, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, January 17, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:41 pm For those still trying to picture it, here's a graphic I found:
I would have gotten it anyway, though I wasn't familiar with the mnemonic, but strangely I had just seen that exact graphic you posted on Facebook within the last week and it was the first time I'd ever seen it!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:46 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:41 pm For those still trying to picture it, here's a graphic I found:
I would have gotten it anyway, though I wasn't familiar with the mnemonic, but strangely I had just seen that exact graphic you posted on Facebook within the last week and it was the first time I'd ever seen it!
Nice! That beats my anecdote about having just looked up Vegemite and Marmite earlier in the day to get straight which was British (Marmite) and which Australian (Vegemite).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:37 am TIAL that Dubai is twice as big as Abu Dhabi.
And over twice as tall!
Spoiler
Abu Dhabi's Burj Mohammed Bin Rashid is 1 250'
Dubai's Burj Khalifa is 2 722'
Yeah, FJ was definitely a clue...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Coelacanth wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:31 pm I mean, I've lived here my whole life and never heard of this mnemonic.

Did they not realize from the clue that the states were contiguous?
Now that we've educated you on the MIMAL states, see if you can learn anything about the JASON months. I often refer to those states as the Louisiana column. They often hold the key to presidential elections. Whoever wins the majority of those States along the Mississippi River tends to win the election. This used to be more true back when Minnesota and Illinois were swing states. (And of course Arkansas Mississippi and Louisiana used to be solid Democratic states and now they are just as solidly Republican states.)

So the failure to come up with Arkansas and Louisiana when spotted Minnesota Iowa Missouri is dismal.

So the champ blew the game on The Daily Double which was so easy. How could she forget the helpful reminder? If you've a date in Constantinople, she'll be waiting in istanbul.

I was surprised to see the third contestant do so poorly. Since she is an aeronautical engineer and lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts, I find it very tempting to infer that she is affiliated with MIT. I was expecting better.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:59 am
I was surprised to see the third contestant do so poorly. Since she is an aeronautical engineer and lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts, I find it very tempting to infer that she is affiliated with MIT. I was expecting better.
I'm sure she's very sorry to disappoint you. And let's keep criticism to a reasonable level. Cripes.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:59 am I was surprised to see the third contestant do so poorly. Since she is an aeronautical engineer and lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts, I find it very tempting to infer that she is affiliated with MIT. I was expecting better.
I’m an aerospace engineer, not affiliated with MIT in any way; I work with several MIT-trained engineers, and my lowly state school bachelors degree beats the MIT people in trivia every time. 8-) There was one time, though, when I was doing a technical presentation to a large group of industry experts, including someone who was a tenured professor at MIT, and I made a subtle pun based on Mark Antony’s “Lend me your ears!” speech in Julius Caesar, and the MIT guy was the only one who got it; he seemed to like it. :mrgreen: Kidding aside, I suspect there’s a weak at best correlation between place where one got a degree and J! excellence.

(And there are lots of businesses around Cambridge MA that employ AEs, some are affiliated with MIT, some are not.)

On the programming language question, I give Stephanie props for knowing what the Ada programming language is, but she either has never programmed in it or it was so long ago she’s forgotten it, because neither C nor C++ look anything remotely like Ada. (Yes, I’ve done non-trivial programming in Ada; not my least favorite language - that would probably be Jovial - but I’m glad my Ada days are in the rear-view mirror.) It took me a second to decide between C and C++, but the use of cout for output (I didn’t notice if there was any input using cin) sealed the deal as C++, and the clue pointed to the distinction as well. Anyone notice other C vs C++ differences?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

cthulhu wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:20 am
On the programming language question, I give Stephanie props for knowing what the Ada programming language is, but she either has never programmed in it or it was so long ago she’s forgotten it, because neither C nor C++ look anything remotely like Ada. (Yes, I’ve done non-trivial programming in Ada; not my least favorite language - that would probably be Jovial - but I’m glad my Ada days are in the rear-view mirror.) It took me a second to decide between C and C++, but the use of cout for output (I didn’t notice if there was any input using cin) sealed the deal as C++, and the clue pointed to the distinction as well. Anyone notice other C vs C++ differences?
My suspicion is not that Stephanie either did or didn't know what the Ada language looks like, but that the hint in the clue may have led down the wrong path

"You'll get an "A", but won't give one by naming this computer programming language with a name 3 characters long"

It does specify you WON"T be giving one, but I think the A in quotation marks along with "3 characters long" did most of the work in pointing someone to name a 3 letter language that starts with A.