Wednesday, January 18, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, January 18, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:36 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:13 pm So Kennedy gets a BMS for a 47 year Senator even though his brothers didn’t even live 47 years.
And Rockefeller too. Gonna be a shocker if they start making up for lost time on those...
I was super excited to see what would happen on "Who is Brown?" for California Governor but alas it went dead.
da Doctah
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by da Doctah »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:49 am
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:13 pm So Kennedy gets a BMS for a 47 year Senator even though his brothers didn’t even live 47 years.
And Rockefeller too. Gonna be a shocker if they start making up for lost time on those...
I was super excited to see what would happen on "Who is Brown?" for California Governor but alas it went dead.
My pub trivia team once had to challenge a ruling on the actor succeeded by Brown as California governor.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

RetiredDoc wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:57 pm My initial thought for FJ was criminals or murderers, but that seemed too generic, then 1692 and Increase Mather hit me, and led me to witches
Exactly how it went for me as well. I was trying to decide whether to say murderers or criminals and was grousing to myself that they expected me to somehow read Increase Mather's mind and know the 1692 situation well enough to guess which one he would go with... and suddenly I knew the right response.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

da Doctah wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:24 am
jeff6286 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:49 am
My pub trivia team once had to challenge a ruling on the actor succeeded by Brown as California governor.
Awesome!
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Congrats to Erin on a dominant win.

FJ seemed easy because, really, WECIB?
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I grew up one town over from Salem. To me this clue was solely about recognizing the year, which was automatic for me.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

nserven wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:50 am I grew up one town over from Salem. To me this clue was solely about recognizing the year, which was automatic for me.
Interesting. I didn't know 1692 was the specific year, but I knew the trials were around that time. For me the more important TOM was Increase Mather whose son Cotton I knew was heavily involved in the trials. TIL that father and son were not entirely on the same page in this regard.
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

BMS for Rockefeller seemed reasonable. There has only been one Governor Rockefeller of New York (Nelson, of course) but there have been at least two more governors of other states named Rockefeller: Winthrop Rockefeller of Arkansas and John D. "Jay" Rockefeller IV of West Virginia. They are all descended from John D. Rockefeller, Sr., of Standard Oil fame.

I wonder if they would have accepted "Moonbeam Brown" for the governor of California., which is the first thing I could think of. I can never remember which Governor Brown called himself Pat and which one called himself Jerry. It turns out the father was Pat and the son was Jerry, but I had to look that up afterward. Luckily, it wouldn't have mattered if I had been a contestant on stage, since I remembered that their legal names are Edmund Brown, Sr., and Edmund Brown, Jr., and I knew they were asking about junior.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bibliophage wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:43 pm BMS for Rockefeller seemed reasonable. There has only been one Governor Rockefeller of New York (Nelson, of course) but there have been at least two more governors of other states named Rockefeller: Winthrop Rockefeller of Arkansas and John D. "Jay" Rockefeller IV of West Virginia. They are all descended from John D. Rockefeller, Sr., of Standard Oil fame.

I wonder if they would have accepted "Moonbeam Brown" for the governor of California., which is the first thing I could think of. I can never remember which Governor Brown called himself Pat and which one called himself Jerry. It turns out the father was Pat and the son was Jerry, but I had to look that up afterward. Luckily, it wouldn't have mattered if I had been a contestant on stage, since I remembered that their legal names are Edmund Brown, Sr., and Edmund Brown, Jr., and I knew they were asking about junior.
It's not so much that the Rockefeller BMS seemed reasonable, it's more that they haven't been doing BMSes in general.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)