Thursday, January 26, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Thursday, January 26, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:12 am
DBear wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:10 am Probably the weirdest miss in a while. Didn't think of ships at all,
thought of small personal items that one might lose.
So I guessed the Bible :?
Same thought process here. Went with telescope after thinking about compass and hat.
The key here was thinking about what an island in the Azores would be named. I thought about compass, telescope, astrolabe and discarded all as unlikely. Then I turned to his ships and decided that only one would make a good name for an island.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Woof wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:49 am Then I turned to his ships and decided that only one would make a good name for an island.
This was my process exactly.
Sprinkles are for winners.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I admit I briefly wondered if there was a Virginity Island before turning to ships... ;)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Wasn't getting the champagne from Queen song or Brazil.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:59 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:20 pm The obvious hack was to choose between 52 and 59.
That's what I did (correctly!) but I'm not sure the category as described rules out 55 as a potential answer.
Frankly, I forgot we only had 3 digits to work with, and only 4 possible answers <88 (7 choices if you consider single digits). If I knew nothing about piano, I might have got there because the multiple choice solution is all you have.

As an FJ question, I can predict I would quickly divide by 12 to get to 7 full octaves plus 4 half-steps. Great, there are 7 white / 5 black on the keyboard = 49 white keys plus add what? If the bottom note is A, the extra notes A#, B, C, C#. But that gives two accidentals (black keys), and two white keys => 51 !!!!!

Ten minutes later, after looking at a picture of a keyboard, I realize the OBO (off by one) error. The "extra" notes start with the A (it is the first note for the eighth time). Leaving A, A#, B, C = 3 white keys. And as an aside - of course C# is not the last key, it would be weird to lay that out physically as a black key.
FWIW, if the keyboard started with B,E, or G, it would be 51 white keys vs 37 blacks. (Also with C# and F# if you accept the black end keys). This makes 5 ways to get an answer of 51 and 7 ways to get to 52. The beautiful patterns and symmetries on the piano and diatonic musical scale are what I like most about playing the piano, in spite of my lack of musical genetic talent.
I would have missed this as an LL question without the 5, 2, 9 digit hints because I would have been happy with the first math. Damn OBO errors!
(edit - accidental does not always mean black keys. citation - Moonlight Sonata :lol: )
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

I might not have got FJ in time except I happened to know that two of the islands are St George and St Miguel. That is what drew me to Santa Maria.

Also noticed that Troy was sitting down today.
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!
davey

Post by davey »

I got the champagne clue not because I remembered the Queen lyric but because I assumed the clue was asking us for a famous champagne that rhymes with cabinet. It turns out that the song doesn't rhyme it but names the whole brand, Moët & Chandon. On top of that, it sounds like Mercury doesn't pronounce the t, but the company says it is pronounced because the name is of Dutch origin.
https://lucire.com/2002/0530ll0.shtml
In any case, just Moët should be acceptable... :geek:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

idearat wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:19 pm Also noticed that Troy was sitting down today.
I thought he might be, but wasn't sure, and forgot about it. The New York Times article about his wedding mentioned his having a heart issue.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

We visited Sao Miguel in the Azores a few years ago, so I familiarized myself with some of the other island names as well. Beautiful island, too.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

davey wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:47 pm I admit I briefly wondered if there was a Virginity Island before turning to ships... ;)
:D

Near Haiti would be a terrible place to lose that.

I feel like a winner because I've known the number of white and black keys on a standard piano keyboard since I was age 6.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

I know they've had clues before about the number of white and black keys but I couldn't remember what the numbers were. Usually when they have clues like this, they give you the number of white keys and you have to give the number of black ones. That's a simple subtraction problem if you know there are 88 keys total. This time I was trying to guesstimate (7/12)*88 but time ran out before I could decide between 52 (which unambiguously fits the category) and 55 (which arguably does; they didn't specify whether a digit could be used more than once). It so happens that a full-size piano keyboard was within my line of sight while I watched this episode, but I didn't try to count.