Friday, January 27, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 27, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:17 pm
DCFan1911 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:51 pm this is almost too obscure for a FJ clue
This clue would've been a great clue in 2007-2013, while the movie was fresher in minds. Yes, the movie has fallen into obscurity, in least in our country, somewhat faster than some other biopics. But anyone who was culturally conscious in 2008 should remember how Cotillard virtually swept the major awards (BAFTAs, Golden Globes, Oscars, Césars, losing only the SAG award to Julie Christie). Then a few years later how Piaf resurfaced in the cultural consciousness when in 2010 the "BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" in Inception was Piaf’s "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien" slowed to a foghorn drone. A fair clue, even if on the tougher side.
it's possible to get this more from knowledge of Piaf, and as you say, people rediscover her periodically. The nicknames sounded familiar and I focused on her before considering what the movie could be. As I said above, I wish I'd thought some more on that point, since I misidentified the movie as Piaf. I doubt Marion Cotillard's name would have come to me if requested.
If you had even less of a clue than I did, Hugo is not a bad guess. It's not French and it's not a "French title," but it is a French story and the book it's based on came out in 2007.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Jake played really really well. Good knowledge, good buzzing, good strategy. Hopefully that leads to a long streak and a lot of money. It seems like the show has started to bring on a lot of hyper-elite players and we'll have to wait and see if that trend continues. I'm looking forward to continue to watch.

Troy's run was good and I look forward to seeing him play in the ToC and if he can get an edge with more difficult material.

Dee also played really and could have been a champion on a different day and probably has a shot at the SCT.

I'm hopeful that Commissioner Thorsten was watching and after seeing the clue about the foundry he gets around to fixing the roundel for the foundry rundle. I did not get FJ.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
DCFan1911
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by DCFan1911 »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:17 pm
DCFan1911 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:51 pm this is almost too obscure for a FJ clue
This clue would've been a great clue in 2007-2013, while the movie was fresher in minds. Yes, the movie has fallen into obscurity, in least in our country, somewhat faster than some other biopics. But anyone who was culturally conscious in 2008 should remember how Cotillard virtually swept the major awards (BAFTAs, Golden Globes, Oscars, Césars, losing only the SAG award to Julie Christie). Then a few years later how Piaf resurfaced in the cultural consciousness when in 2010 the "BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" in Inception was Piaf’s "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien" slowed to a foghorn drone. A fair clue, even if on the tougher side.
Agreed. The film was the correct response to a $600 clue on the June 23, 2009 episode, when the movie was fresher in the public's memory. For some reason, even though I was an avid moviegoer at the time, this film just completely escaped my notice.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

cf1140 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:44 pm I'm thinking the Big Bad Wolf should have been accepted.
TIL that there is another morbid Grimm's fairy tale about a wolf and a negligent parent. Where is the father?
Spoiler
The Wolf and the Seven Little Kids
The Wolf and the Seven Little Kids is a fairy tale written by the Brothers Grimm. A story for children about a mother goat who leaves her seven children home alone and the Big Bad Wolf who tries to sneak in and eat them up.
cf1140 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:44 pm In the situation with basalmic/balsamic, Alex would usually respond "say it again" rather than an immediate no. I prefer that action.
Absolutely. Of course if he repeats the wrong pronunciation it is a layup for the rebound. Ken negged it so quickly I thought it was completely wrong. You've got to let people have a chance to fix tongue twisters or else plan on negging nu-culear and real-lator.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:52 pm
cf1140 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:44 pm In the situation with basalmic/balsamic, Alex would usually respond "say it again" rather than an immediate no. I prefer that action.
Absolutely. Of course if he repeats the wrong pronunciation it is a layup for the rebound. Ken negged it so quickly I thought it was completely wrong. You've got to let people have a chance to fix tongue twisters or else plan on negging nu-culear and real-lator.
"Say it again" was in theory only ever used for when Alex didn't hear a response. Contestants are coached that they must repeat themselves exactly when given a "say it again" prompt--no changing responses allowed. Probably there are a few cases in the record of contestants getting away with correcting themselves after initially misspeaking, but I wonder if there are any instances of ruling reversals to take back money when this happened.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

This game was pre-empted in Cleveland because of some stupid golf tournament, worse because it's only Friday (the 2nd round of a presumably 4-round tournament) and because it clearly wasn't live (bright and sunny, which is nowhere in the US at that time of day, this time of year).

Wonder if the local network just somehow couldn't broadcast that game. Grumble, grumble.

Sorry to miss the game when Troy gets beat, although, uhh, I won't, uhh, miss, uhh, his verbal uhh eccentricities.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

John Boy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:55 pm This game was pre-empted in Cleveland because of some stupid golf tournament, worse because it's only Friday (the 2nd round of a presumably 4-round tournament) and because it clearly wasn't live (bright and sunny, which is nowhere in the US at that time of day, this time of year).

Wonder if the local network just somehow couldn't broadcast that game. Grumble, grumble.

Sorry to miss the game when Troy gets beat, although, uhh, I won't, uhh, miss, uhh, his verbal uhh eccentricities.
It was the third round of the golf tournament in San Diego area I believe. Not sure why they finished on Saturday except maybe to avoid going up against NFL conference finals.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

John Boy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:55 pm This game was pre-empted in Cleveland
WOIO aired it at 2:07 A.M.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

John Boy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:55 pm This game was pre-empted in Cleveland because of some stupid golf tournament, worse because it's only Friday (the 2nd round of a presumably 4-round tournament) and because it clearly wasn't live (bright and sunny, which is nowhere in the US at that time of day, this time of year).

At least they knew enough to get it in the program guide with enough time in advance for DVRs to pick it up. I can't recall them doing that before. When we have those silly "state of the state" speeches, Jeopardy is nowhere to be found in the schedule. But, yeah, golf. Doesn't draw much compared to Jeopardy, but live sports tends not to be DVRed, so advertisers pay more. I think there are categories (like prime-time shows, live sports) where network shows cannot be pre-empted for syndicated shows.

I wonder if they've changed the rules under Ken regarding re-stating. We've had a few cases where it seems like contestants have been allowed to come up with an entirely new answer instead of BMS or requiring a repeat. Usually, they are more tolerant with vowel sounds than consonants when it comes to counting something as correct. That seems in line with differences in local pronunciations. Also for those of us who read about things rather than watch on a device, we might not even be in tune with vowel sounds with some names and words. They expand that concept in FJ - though in a different way - you can get credit for the correct pronunciation if it looks close enough even if you don't get the spelling right.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Wait just to be clear here, 5 to 8 PM eastern is a time it is bright and sunny NOWHERE in the US? Do you really not know about the Pacific Time Zone? It wasn't even like the tournament was in Hawaii.
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

Um, incorrect.
My husband is an avid golfer and was watching this tournament (Farmer's Insurance Open) as it was played at Torrey Pines in San Diego, (live I might add).
And it was sunny ☀️ in San Diego that day and being on the West coast, several hours earlier than when televised in your area.

merica wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:11 pm

It was the third round of the golf tournament in San Diego area I believe. Not sure why they finished on Saturday except maybe to avoid going up against NFL conference finals.
Correct, this is the second year in a row where the Farmer's Insurance Open finished the tournament on Saturday in deference to the football playoffs (the NFL added an extra game last year, making the NFL season 17-games long).
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Anachronism wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:52 pm But, yeah, golf. Doesn't draw much compared to Jeopardy.
CBS pays the PGA Tour 9 figures per year to broadcast 20+ events. It's a no-brainer to air on the very rare Friday 3rd round not to mention a contractual obligation.

If a local CBS affiliate had to choose between airing Jeopardy during the week and PGA Tour golf on Saturday and Sunday, the affiliate would think for at most one second and choose the golf.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Golf wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:39 pm
Anachronism wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:52 pm But, yeah, golf. Doesn't draw much compared to Jeopardy.
CBS pays the PGA Tour 9 figures per year to broadcast 20+ events. It's a no-brainer to air on the very rare Friday 3rd round not to mention a contractual obligation.

If a local CBS affiliate had to choose between airing Jeopardy during the week and PGA Tour golf on Saturday and Sunday, the affiliate would think for at most one second and choose the golf.
Username checks out.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Golf wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:39 pm CBS pays the PGA Tour 9 figures per year to broadcast 20+ events. It's a no-brainer to air on the very rare Friday 3rd round not to mention a contractual obligation.

Robert K S wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:03 pm Username checks out.
Ha!

Hey, I'm intimately familiar with both sides of the argument here. Now I just need to get my golf earnings ahead of my trivia earnings!
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Golf wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:39 pm

I mentioned the obligation. Ratings, however, make it an interesting discussion. Maybe one million people saw the golf event. About eight times that watched Jeopardy, but many of us use a DVR and we skew old. If a local affiliate had to choose, minus the obligation, the decision would rest on how much of the national ad revenue it receives.

Weird when I think about it. I watch a lot of sports, but I don't think I've ever seen more than a minute of a golf match. I would not have figured networks were still even considering airing golf, especially after the Tiger Woods accident.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

The Wikipedia article title gives the capitalization as "La Vie en rose" but then immediately starts with La Vie en Rose is a 2007 biographical musical film...

Is there a reason for the capitalization "La Vie en rose" or is it just there inexplicably?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MattKnowles wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:49 pm The Wikipedia article title gives the capitalization as "La Vie en rose" but then immediately starts with La Vie en Rose is a 2007 biographical musical film...

Is there a reason for the capitalization "La Vie en rose" or is it just there inexplicably?
Rose should not be capitalized. French doesn't normally follow the same rules as English for capitalizing titles.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

econgator wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:14 pm Rose should not be capitalized. French doesn't normally follow the same rules as English for capitalizing titles.
As another data point, however, all of the marketing materials (e.g., movie poster, soundtrack album cover) capitalized the R in "rose" (or, more precisely, made it a larger capital in an all-caps title), at least where they did not have all the letters in the same size caps.

So, although French titles should follow French capitalization rules, there is a good argument to be made that this is an English title that happens to be in the French language, such that the "R" should be capitalized.

IMDb capitalizes every word in the title, even the preposition "en", which is just... blech.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:19 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:52 pm
"Say it again" was in theory only ever used for when Alex didn't hear a response. Contestants are coached that they must repeat themselves exactly when given a "say it again" prompt--no changing responses allowed. Probably there are a few cases in the record of contestants getting away with correcting themselves after initially misspeaking, but I wonder if there are any instances of ruling reversals to take back money when this happened.
This hard line does make sense. If you are tongue tied, you know you are, and they seem to allow you to keep revising until you stop talking. It seems to come up more with missing syllables, especially the vowel glides in the middle of some words. I suppose I'd be negged for always saying Illi-noise, and my wife would say I deserve it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:04 pm This hard line does make sense. If you are tongue tied, you know you are, and they seem to allow you to keep revising until you stop talking.
Or, more precisely, until the host rules you wrong. So I agree that the "rule" that you're not allowed to change your response on a "say it again" prompt is in conflict with the broader rule that you can change your response until you are ruled against. Which I why I wonder what the history may be with reversals based on contestants not saying it again, where "it" is the wrong thing they said the first time. There are ~90 clues in the Archive with "say it again" prompts, and I don't have time to go through them all just now.