Friday, January 27, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Friday, January 27, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

trash: Firth of Forth DD, jumper, 2/3/11/12,

no chance on FJ. :(
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

The maroon sweater came through! Looking forward to Monday's sartorial statement.

Congrats Jake! Like Opus, I was afraid the detour up the category would cost you the last DD. Good thing you went big or you would have gone home without the 2/3 lock (or whatever it is called here). Great run of the category for $6K and the lead.

I couldn't have told you what the Horn bet in craps was, but I can tell you the hardest numbers to roll. House edge: 11%.

This FJ should poll in the 30's.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Congrats on the impressive win, Jake!! You played great !! :D
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:34 pm
I couldn't have told you what the Horn bet in craps was, but I can tell you the hardest numbers to roll. House edge: 11%.
Never heard of the term but a basic understanding of probability told me the four hardest numbers to roll. Surprised it was a TS.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

No clue on FJ - “kid”, rightly or wrongly, made me think of a person of the male persuasion so I was never going to get to Piaf
Surprised jumper was a triple stumper

Congratulations on the win, threearruda!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Jake the Giant Killer! Boardie FTW!

And not a bad run there, Schlie. I hope that's a good downn payment on a recording studio.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

WOW.

Thank you all for the congrats and well wishes. I've been just blown away at every step of this process, the staff's unfailing professionalism, the kind words from family and friends, the interaction with contestants on social, I'm thankful to be apart of the community. I'm not on that stage without the tips and tricks I've learned here, Reddit, the Archive, etc. over the years. THANK YOU.

I want to say a huge thank you publicly to Opus for helping me out - WBZ and WPRI were preempted for golf, and Opus gave me backup. Thankfully our venue, little did I know, had a HuluTV login and the shows aired on My38, so we were spared an emergency and got to play the game on the two TVs there. Still, I tremendously appreciate your efforts. Made me feel more at ease with everything else going on. Huzzah for the penguin!

I also want to commend Troy and Dee for a match well played - both of them are outstanding quizzers obviously and they are wonderful people on top of it. I wish I had half the qualities that they do; humility, modesty, and more. I feel bad that they had to deal with me on the most energetic I've ever been in my entire life. I hope Troy wins the whole damn ToC, and I'll happily be the first signature for Dee's Second Chance campaign.

COUNTRY SONGS: Wheelhouse category. I pointed at my dad tonight and said "Cliff Clavin". And the watch party was absolutely howling by the end of it. My specialties are Y2K country music, NFL QB's by alma mater and US Presidents by number. I got incredibly lucky.

DD3: I alllllllmost went all-in, and obviously that would've sewn up the lock. But there wasn't enough time to recoup that on the downside. I thought 10k was the right strategic play at that juncture given that information and that Dee and I would still be around 50% of Troy with 10 buzzer races left. Plenty of time to make the game competitive again, even though we're both probably facing the wrong side of a crush at that point.

FINAL: Give me some time and no pressure and maybe I sort this out. No chance I get there in 30 seconds, but I did ignore the 2007 part and my foundation of film knowledge which is Oscar winners (Marion Cotillard). Very tough clue. I thought Troy had it with Hugo.

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:32 pm Jake should be up for J! honors with the name sign-in.
I appreciate it, that thought didn't cross my mind until I returned home. I have a notecard somewhere with all my ideas for signing in. Day 2 is not as good, if memory serves.

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:50 pm
His nervous habits will annoy the twits on Twitter and that is a good thing.
I saw a tweet come through at my watch party about wishing I'd be a more gracious winner or some such, LOL. Yeah you try doing that and tell me what happens. I'm too busy rolling around in my money! :D

I do seem to remember being a bit calmer on the Monday show, so there's that for anyone who thought I was too hyper (I was).
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:03 pm A champion named Meyer loses to a challenger named Jake on a Friday episode? That seems veeeery familiar. ;)

I said to my wife last night, This is a pretty elaborate blog to put up a week before the show if he loses. So my hunch turned out to be right. Yay me.

Good luck on Monday.
Sorry to resurrect an old bad memory haha. The blog was created last year, I didn't keep up with it, scrubbed it two weeks ago because I didn't have the web skills to differentiate pages between J! and other stuff with the templates I had... and the articles weren't good anyway. I just turned it into a J! thing. I see in hindsight how that might've left a trail, so to say. Wasn't my intent, as parts of this were written before I got the call, and whether or I won or lost this was being posted. Granted, I didn't expect it to blow up like it did either!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:32 pm
Ahhh, La vie en rose — that shoulda been my FJ
I'd be happy to trade. :lol:
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
davey

Post by davey »

An impressive debut! I wouldn't mind if calling for the 10 [hundred] clue caught on... :)

My problem with FJ is that I did not remember the film title...I wrote down Piaf and reasoned that it means "little sparrow" so counts as a French title. There's a biographical play from the 80s called Piaf, so that muddied things for me too... :twisted:
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $34,400
45 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: firth/forth (DD), jumper, chunky, 2/3/11/12

Wow. What a game, Jake.
threearruda wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:12 pm DD3: I alllllllmost went all-in, and obviously that would've sewn up the lock. But there wasn't enough time to recoup that on the downside. I thought 10k was the right strategic play at that juncture given that information and that Dee and I would still be around 50% of Troy with 10 buzzer races left. Plenty of time to make the game competitive again, even though we're both probably facing the wrong side of a crush at that point.
I think you played this optimally. (It probably didn't hurt that your and Troy's respective totals were such that a clean $10,000 wager would put you either at exactly half of or just over twice his score.)

It's hard to find a worse category for me than World Cinema, so I was lost at sea on FJ! I matched Mark's response of L'enfant knowing it was wrong.
Sprinkles are for winners.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Congrats boardie Jake! I kind of was expecting it after your blog posts. Good stuff.

I wonder - Why was Troy sitting in this game?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congratulations to Jake on the win! And congrats to Troy on the run!

I kind of had a feeling that neither Yogesh nor Troy went on especially long runs, since there was no talk of "the next great J! player coming down the pipeline" like there was for Julia Collins and James Holzhauer. Then again, I don't recall hearing anything of Amy S., Matt A,. or Mattea before their first episodes aired, though I don't follow the show like I used to so I easily could have missed something.

But six wins is still phenomenal! And I think that Troy is the type of player who becomes tougher to beat as the material gets harder, so he could do some damage when the ToC comes around. Either way, best of luck to him for when the time comes!

I had no chance at this FJ. The movie title sounds vaguely familiar, though. I am curious to see how this one polls, but I am inclined to think that it was a great clue for both regular play or the ToC.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Wonderfully exciting game. All three contestants so knowledgeable and appealing. Personally to be a jerk, I thought everyone would get Piaf. It’s the movie that made Marion Cotillard a star.

Full disclosure, I’ve met Troy in person a few times and consider him a friend. So the game as far as television goes was excellent since I was pretty sure Troy would go quite far. But as with Yogesh, and as we see with this game, and as at one time some former Jeopardy winners tried to pitch a game to television, “it’s all about the buzzer.“ Buzzer play 70 to 80% of the game. That’s my experience having played in several decades

Two notes on the questions tonight:
The horn bet, like the field bet, is sort of a sucker’s bet. The house has a higher take on it then the simple C & E bet, craps-eleven (The two small CE circles that the croupier has to place). It’s a simple side bet that you might take if you’re going in bigger on a come bet as a type of insurance on the next roll. The C part of the bed covers some of your come bet and the 11 is just fun for a little extra money if it comes out. I’ve rarely seen serious players make horn bets especially when the alternative pays better. It’s kind of a fun side but like hard ways bets.
But it’s so tangential, like “big six big eight”. I don’t blame anyone for not remembering it

The question that was wrong was regarding the fez. In 1829, as part of westernizing reforms Mahmud Ii eliminated the whole range of turbans and headgear especially in Istanbul and brought in an import from North Africa, the Fez. It was a simplified headgear, same for many different social stations unlike the turban. It was more western, could be worn with a western suit but was still a type of Muslim headgear to satisfy conservatives

Under Ataturk, secularization and westernization what further. The writing system was changed from the non-Turkish Arabic abjad which could not accommodate the many vowel sounds to the non-Turkish Latin alphabet which still had to be modified to accommodate vowels.
For a while, the law was that the Koran had to be read in mosques in Turkish and a translation was commissioned. That is no longer the case.

The veil it all its forms was banned (yaşmak) there have been a custom to cover the face, having nearly transparent gloves and the whole body being covered albeit some parts diaphonously. The head scarf, not a veil, wasn’t so commonly worn by women without the other coverings but was allowed except for women in university and certain public positions etc. but the veil itself has not returned even under Erdogan

To say the fez was popular in the 1920s is only half true in fact problematic. Wearing the fez was illegal after 1925. The fez was common before 1925 not only among Muslims but also by Greeks Armenians Jews and others within the empire. But after the republic was established and this law came in as part of secularization, you could be arrested for wearing a fez. So for half of the 1920s it would be a complete lie to say it was popular or at least popularly worn. It was illegal

Again, very good game. Impressed with all three players. And you never know how long someone’s going to go. I’ve seen people with very long runs that to be honest surprised me a little. But when you have it, you have it. And that’s a fact. So much is buzzer play. So much is luck. In the Tower of London/Westminster abbey coinflip. Helps to have a runaway. For myself, in my five original games, I got all final Jeopardy’s except one day. I had been in the lead all five days. The day I didn’t get it, I did not have a runaway and it just worked out for me . Pure luck.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

At the risk of piling on, I join in the congratulations for Jake -- terrific performance and game play.

Troy had exceptional performances during his run, and I am very much looking forward to him in the TOC.

I checked out some of Jake's blog, and was interested to see his practice philosophy paralleled mine. I also played multiple games in my living room, standing behind the recliner while wearing my "Jeopardy clothes". I do believe it was helpful. The old military adage is "train like you plan to fight, because you'll fight like you trained" might apply.

I dithered juuuuuust a little bit about FJ and "The kid." I was 80% confident with La Vie en Rose, but with the other 20% also considered the similarly-titled Ma Vie en Rose, a French/Belgian film about a young trangendered girl. I don't know if fiction can be considered "biography," though I can think of a few examples that might be fictional biography, like perhaps Citizen Kane and others. So, "biopic" led to the confidence that Piaf was the correct answer.

Looking forward to Monday with Jake!
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Missed a couple of clues in TV Time and Country Songs.
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

Congrats Threearuda.
Douglas Squasoni
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

JyV92 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:52 am The question that was wrong was regarding the fez.
I've tried unsuccessfully to steal your fez. :lol:
DCFan1911
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by DCFan1911 »

Completely stumped on FJ, no way for me to get there. I'd say that this is almost too obscure for a FJ clue, but it doesn't quite cross that boundary because of Marion Cotillard's Academy Award for Best Actress. Nonetheless it was a 16-year-old film that never cracked the US box office top 10 during any of its weeks in theaters, at its peak distribution it was only in 178 theaters nationwide, and aside from Cotillard's nomination it received only two other Oscar nominations (both of them in minor categories - it was not even nominated for Best Picture). I'd say this one as far as difficulty is on par with the Gilbert Stuart clue in January 2022 and the Giannis/Greece clue in April 2022. Ironically, I did get both of those, as they happen to be in my wheelhouse, but I didn't even know where to begin with last night's clue!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:37 pm I checked out some of Jake's blog, and was interested to see his practice philosophy paralleled mine. I also played multiple games in my living room, standing behind the recliner while wearing my "Jeopardy" clothes. I do believe it was helpful. The old military adage is "train like you plan to fight, because you'll fight like you trained" might apply.
As the memory-ologists tell us, State-Dependent Retrieval is a real thing.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

DCFan1911 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:51 pm this is almost too obscure for a FJ clue
This clue would've been a great clue in 2007-2013, while the movie was fresher in minds. Yes, the movie has fallen into obscurity, in least in our country, somewhat faster than some other biopics. But anyone who was culturally conscious in 2008 should remember how Cotillard virtually swept the major awards (BAFTAs, Golden Globes, Oscars, Césars, losing only the SAG award to Julie Christie). Then a few years later how Piaf resurfaced in the cultural consciousness when in 2010 the "BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" in Inception was Piaf’s "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien" slowed to a foghorn drone. A fair clue, even if on the tougher side.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

I'm thinking the Big Bad Wolf should have been accepted.

In the situation with basalmic/balsamic, Alex would usually respond "say it again" rather than an immediate no. I prefer that action.