Monday, January 30, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 30, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Monday, January 30, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box score
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORD ORIGINS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Originally relating to a story of suffering, this word now more commonly refers to strong emotion of any kind

Jake DeArruda: 26000-803=25197 (2x = $47,994)
Sam Meehan: 13400-13400=0
Sarah Howard: 2000-1999=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
passion (Jake – mortal) (Sam – drama) (Sarah – intense pass?)

Daily Doubles
Jake: 1000+1000
Jake: 11800+5000
Sarah: 3200-800

Coryats
Jake: 22000
Sam: 13400
Sarah: 2800

Combined: 38,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jake: 6200
Sam: 2200
Sarah: 800
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Got stuck trying to think of words that started J-O-B-. Wrong testament!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Celebrity Beef channel? No idea. Celebrity Game Face? That one I've watched to help me get out of that TV category with 3 of them right.

J! players and Canada geography reared its ugly head today for Ontario's west border.

Jake had another big DD, but not quite enough for the lock. Jake was happy to solve DD2 and I can already imagine the posts that will be on primetimer later today.

The FJ! category is never one I like to see. The FJ! clue worked for me to solve it along the Jesus path Ken mentioned. No way I get the word thinking about the strong emotion part of the clue.

Nice title defense, Jake, and go get that FJ! clue solve tomorrow. Buzzer and betting nerve are already handled.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash: master/dame/little boy, Plutonic, ran away, Manitoba,
toadstool, spores, Nosferatu DD, 8-)

Flames was a rather bad guess for the Senators' rival :lol:

Word Origins is always a crapshoot, but got it quickly this time :mrgreen:
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:38 pm J! players and Canada geography reared its ugly head today for Ontario's west border.

Jake had another big DD, but not quite enough for the lock. Jake was happy to solve DD2 and I can already imagine the posts that will be on primetimer later today.

Nice title defense, Jake, and go get that FJ! clue solve tomorrow. Buzzer and betting nerve are already handled.
Thanks!

Ick I tried to get the Canadian provinces map down and I knew I was wrong either left or right one as soon as I rang in.

I've hit two of my least favorite FJ categories so far, so fingers crossed the worst is out of the way.
DBear wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:17 pm trash: master/dame/little boy, Plutonic, ran away, Manitoba,
toadstool, spores, Nosferatu DD, 8-)

Flames was a rather bad guess for the Senators' rival :lol:

Word Origins is always a crapshoot, but got it quickly this time :mrgreen:
I was NOT looking at the category when that clue was read and the wrong thing popped in mind. What am I, 1-for-4 getting these sports clues so far? Not a good look. :lol:

I got so much crap for jumper Friday and this morning and I knew what was lurking behind door (day) #2.
Last edited by threearruda on Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I'll just add that Sam was the holdover from the previous tape session so he saw Friday and I knew walking in that he'd probably be among my toughest lurking competitors. He had some real strong bottom of the board gets.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Pathos here.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Yay, threearruda!
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

I can count on one hand the number of times I've personally known someone on the show... this is one of those times! So proud of Sarah for reaching the big stage. The thing she discussed in her interview is exactly how I know her haha.

I see Jake is on here... you're gonna be a PROBLEM for those in your way, my guy. Impressive stuff so far, and I hope you can keep it up. I'll forgive you for beating my local friend. :P
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

threearruda wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:37 pm Ick I tried to get the Canadian provinces map down and I knew I was wrong either left or right one as soon as I rang in.

I've hit two of my least favorite FJ categories so far, so fingers crossed the worst is out of the way.
BASMOQ! - British columbia Alberta Saskatchewan Manitoba Ontario Quebec in that order. I usually just remember the ASM (pronounced to rhyme with spasm rather than spelled out) because those are the ones we Americans have trouble keeping in the right sequence.

I wonder what the record is for longest streak without getting FJ. I'm rooting for you, Jake! :lol:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Picked Off wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:30 pm Pathos here.
That's a hard one to shake off if you think of it first. I was almost ready to go with it. But for once I kept thinking and managed to get to passion.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:04 pm
threearruda wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:37 pm Ick I tried to get the Canadian provinces map down and I knew I was wrong either left or right one as soon as I rang in.

BASMOQ! - British columbia Alberta Saskatchewan Manitoba Ontario Quebec in that order. I usually just remember the ASM (pronounced to rhyme with spasm rather than spelled out) because those are the ones we Americans have trouble keeping in the right sequence.

I wonder what the record is for longest streak without getting FJ. I'm rooting for you, Jake! :lol:
FJ! round futility had me think of this contestant first: https://j-archive.com/showplayerstats.p ... er_id=1905

The 2nd contestant that occurred to me for missing five in a row? Well, that champ is a regular here and can fess up or not.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

i've been reading science fiction for more than 65 years. i was *delighted* to spot this one on today's "J6" section of jeopardy dot com:

category: out on a book tour

clue: in his "grand tour" book series, ben bova devoted an entire book to this largest moon of saturn

question: what is "titan"?

ben bova is one of my favorite writers. i have more than 30 of his books. he was one of harlan ellison's true friends - they actually worked together on the ill-fated television series "the starlost" which bova hilariously parodied as "the starcrossed."
DCFan1911
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by DCFan1911 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:16 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:04 pm

FJ! round futility had me think of this contestant first: https://j-archive.com/showplayerstats.p ... er_id=1905

The 2nd contestant that occurred to me for missing five in a row? Well, that champ is a regular here and can fess up or not.
There's at least one other 5-time champ who did not get a correct response in FJ during their entire regular game run...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Judges: iron fist?

Congratulations on the second win, Jake!!!

I got FJ remembering The Passion of the Christ.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:04 pm BASMOQ! - British columbia Alberta Saskatchewan Manitoba Ontario Quebec in that order. I usually just remember the ASM (pronounced to rhyme with spasm rather than spelled out) because those are the ones we Americans have trouble keeping in the right sequence.
I'll bet there are some Americans who have an easy time with it.