Friday, February 3, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Friday, February 3, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:47 pm I've already made up my mind that I wouldn't risk it. Yeah it's a cool thing to pull off. But deviating from the standard phrasing is just too risky. I'd end up trying it on a response that turned out not to be in the form of a question after all. ... "Citizen Kane famously lost the Best Picture Oscar to this film". ...
Spoiler
How Green Was My Valley?
I think you'd get away with that one. The title may not be a question, but it's phrased in the form of one, with a verb preceding the subject.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:39 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:47 pm I've already made up my mind that I wouldn't risk it. Yeah it's a cool thing to pull off. But deviating from the standard phrasing is just too risky. I'd end up trying it on a response that turned out not to be in the form of a question after all. ... "Citizen Kane famously lost the Best Picture Oscar to this film". ...
Spoiler
How Green Was My Valley?
I think you'd get away with that one. The title may not be a question, but it's phrased in the form of one, with a verb preceding the subject.
That was part of the gag, that I would have gotten away with it except the category was NOT A QUESTION.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:55 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:39 pm
Spoiler
How Green Was My Valley?
That was part of the gag, that I would have gotten away with it except the category was NOT A QUESTION.
I just noticed that you specifically said you might have gotten away with it. Sorry for not reading thoroughly!
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

I found the Roman Numeral Spelling clues to be unnecessarily hard to read. I had trouble distinguishing which commas were there to separate the numbers from each other and which ones were there to separate the hundreds place from the thousands place within a number. Yes, I know there's a space between numbers, and yes, I know Ken pronounced them all correctly. But I tend to go by what I read in the text more than what I hear the host say. They could easily have avoided the problem if they used semicolons between the numbers. For example, "1,000, 1, 100" is easy to misread as "1,000, 1,100" where "1,000; 1; 100" is perfectly clear.