LL Season 96

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: LL Season 96

Post by Ironhorse »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:56 pm I would have expected a lot of people to include Germany (I did), since it was no longer a monarchy after WWI.
Guilty as charged.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My science score is pretty low but I was shocked to get three for the North Star. Still lost 6(5)-3(2) but still interesting. Got zero for velvet.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Heh, last season had a question about Criterion Laserdisc Spine #1. This season we get one about Criterion DVD Spine #1.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I completely skipped over Luxembourg when listing countries in my head near France, and would have known that was right once I hit upon it. And while I have seen The Grand Illusion and knew that that was what he was looking for, there was no way I was dredging that title up from my memory.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The only "Grand Illusion" I knew of was the song and album by Styx.
ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ouachiouat »

My opponent was from France, and there were 2 French-related questions. He missed the film one (as did I), and I figured there was a French Idol as well, so gave him a 1 for it--that was the other one he missed. We tied 6(4)-6(4); I missed the film and Hasidic--I was part of the MCWA crew with Zionism.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I lost the Kosman Koin with Kabbalah on that one.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Match day 18 did not go well. Only got one right; Latin for "mother" seemed to lead pretty straightforwardly to madrigal. Of the other questions, two led to a wrong guess and two led to a "Huh?" The sixth generated a thought of "Wow - guess Yves Saint Laurent donated his logo to a hip-hop label."

What was worse is that I lost to my revered Llama Grandpa. He was the referrer of my own referrer, making me a second-generation Morbeedoan. Morbeedian? Morbeedoite. Whatever.

It was an honor and a pleasure to lose to "Gramps," as everyone in the clan has never called him.

Well ..... an honor anyway. I guess.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:34 pm Match day 18 did not go well. Only got one right; Latin for "mother" seemed to lead pretty straightforwardly to madrigal. Of the other questions, two led to a wrong guess and two led to a "Huh?" The sixth generated a thought of "Wow - guess Yves Saint Laurent donated his logo to a hip-hop label."

What was worse is that I lost to my revered Llama Grandpa. He was the referrer of my own referrer, making me a second-generation Morbeedoan. Morbeedian? Morbeedoite. Whatever.

It was an honor and a pleasure to lose to "Gramps," as everyone in the clan has never called him.

The twelvefootclan was annihilated on MD18. Three bagels, and a single and a double.
I like the handle "Gramps" for our revered founder, but it must be lower case "gramps", just like morbeedo and twelvefootboy, lol. No shame losing to the first place player. The system will punish him later ;). I'm hoping for a turnaround in categories and questions after only getting 3 total correct the last 3 match days.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I like a lot of old French film and certainly knew about Grand Illusion, but another Renoir film, Rules of the Game, seemed to fit the quote so well that I didn't stop to think there might be a better one.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:23 am
AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:34 pm Match day 18 did not go well. Only got one right; Latin for "mother" seemed to lead pretty straightforwardly to madrigal. Of the other questions, two led to a wrong guess and two led to a "Huh?" The sixth generated a thought of "Wow - guess Yves Saint Laurent donated his logo to a hip-hop label."

The twelvefootclan was annihilated on MD18. Three bagels, and a single and a double.
I like the handle "Gramps" for our revered founder, but it must be lower case "gramps", just like morbeedo and twelvefootboy, lol. No shame losing to the first place player. The system will punish him later ;). I'm hoping for a turnaround in categories and questions after only getting 3 total correct the last 3 match days.
Okay, pops -- can do.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I won on MD20 0(0)-0(F). I'm glad I logged in and at least attempted the slate of questions. After 20 days, I'm just one point out of the promotion zone.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not that it helped me, since I still lost, but I got a 3 for sin bin. :lol:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

In a season most noted for my unusually abysmal defense (.507 DE, 34 UfPA) I finally managed to win a game on defense 7(4)-6(5).
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:23 am
AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:34 pmt
Match day 18 did not go well...

I came to play, boys!
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:14 am Not that it helped me, since I still lost, but I got a 3 for sin bin. :lol:

I had NFC on the rugby question but thought I might have a shot at BWA with Bad Boy Bin so I was chagrined to see Sin Bin knowing I would have had it with a little more noodling. Also spent a good part of the day vacillating between Vienna and London for Haydn. I knew he was Austrian but I was thinking that Sir Simon Rattle and Edward Gardner were strong nudges toward London and Thorston doesn't seem to traffic much with neg bait but I still ended up going with Vienna. So I was most pleasantly surprised to pull out a defensive win 4(2) 2(3) which went nicely with my MD18 3(2) 2(3) win. There's a lot to be said for defense, though in the long run two correct per day gets me relegated.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mrparadise wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:01 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:14 am Not that it helped me, since I still lost, but I got a 3 for sin bin. :lol:

I had NFC on the rugby question but thought I might have a shot at BWA with Bad Boy Bin so I was chagrined to see Sin Bin knowing I would have had it with a little more noodling. Also spent a good part of the day vacillating between Vienna and London for Haydn. I knew he was Austrian but I was thinking that Sir Simon Rattle and Edward Gardner were strong nudges toward London and Thorston doesn't seem to traffic much with neg bait but I still ended up going with Vienna. So I was most pleasantly surprised to pull out a defensive win 4(2) 2(3) which went nicely with my MD18 3(2) 2(3) win. There's a lot to be said for defense, though in the long run two correct per day gets me relegated.
Out of curiosity I checked the archive and found three hits:

#3925, aired 2001-09-28 THINGS TO FILL 5 "BOX"ES $1000: Lloyd Freeberg, an NHL official, wrote a book on the conduct of players in this "sin bin"
#531, aired 1986-12-22 SPORTS $100: Hockey's "sin bin"
#93, aired 1985-01-16 SPORTS $400: In hockey, where you're sitting if you're in the "sin bin"

It's been in the clue's wording three times, but never asked for as a response.

I'm sure I've posted before about spending more time in the penalty box when I played hockey for goalie indiscretions than my own.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

TIL that 10 PM PDT comes faster than 12:00 CDT when you are already in the PDT zone. We hit rainy LA Monday too late to try to catch a Jeopardy audience viewing so we drove to Las Vegas to get out of the rain. I finally got to my Llama duties after supper (which is often the case), and was pleased to have a shot at 3 or 4 right, depending on London and another guess. I submit at 10:16 and a message says (badly paraphrased) : "this submission is received late and the results may not appear in the morning". Yikes! Lesson learned - there "may" be a 16 minute grace period, but I'm'ma not going to push it again!

It worked out, so I got my Northrop/London/Gothic credit and a 5 point win against a goose egg.
We'll be back in LA environs next week, so maybe I can get into a taping on a walk-up basis. I hope my DVR taping of Brigadier is still on the DVR. My luck, some hacker will get in and fill my DVR with Hallmark Channel movies :evil: .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Thy.. thia...th... thim thiam... thi something ine?...no no, that's the DNA base, that's not it... Maybe it's beta carotene and that's where the 'B' comes from...

Stupid brain is smarter than I am...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

I've been happy with LL so far, but this is the first season where I suspect some of my opponents might be, let's say, aiding their answers. Rundle C, so top half but there are two divisions above me skill-wise, and people are routinely rolling 6's against me. Do people accept perfect scores in LL as normal in non-top-tier rundles? I score very well on Jeopardy questions by most metrics, and most other trivia formats, and LLamas are totally cleaning my clock this season. I can proudly say I have *never* done anything that could be considered cheating, but I've felt the human urge to do so occasionally, and I have to wonder how many succumb to it.