LL Season 96

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: LL Season 96

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:07 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:06 pm Wait, U and Bloomer were ideal money choices??? I assumed they were both obvious chestnuts, and moved on quickly to other options.

Agreed on Q12.
I would not have guessed Kazakhstan that low either. U, however, was an easy money. I'm slowly learning that you're not just playing against A-B rundlers in one-days, but D-E as well. (It's only taken me 30 seasons to realize this...)
I moneyed Kazakhstan because I felt (possibly rightly) that a lot of folks would assume that China or Mongolia would be the biggest border. Bloomer was also an easy money because I didn't feel that it was a widely known fact.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Also, I only got "The Last of Us" because I'd written it up for the Current Events thread, and even then almost submitted "The Rest of Us".
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:01 pm Also, I only got "The Last of Us" because I'd written it up for the Current Events thread, and even then almost submitted "The Rest of Us".
It's an excellent series.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

alietr wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:47 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:01 pm Also, I only got "The Last of Us" because I'd written it up for the Current Events thread, and even then almost submitted "The Rest of Us".
Needs more zombies.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Woof wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:31 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:07 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:06 pm Wait, U and Bloomer were ideal money choices??? I assumed they were both obvious chestnuts, and moved on quickly to other options.

Agreed on Q12.
I would not have guessed Kazakhstan that low either. U, however, was an easy money. I'm slowly learning that you're not just playing against A-B rundlers in one-days, but D-E as well. (It's only taken me 30 seasons to realize this...)
I moneyed Kazakhstan because I felt (possibly rightly) that a lot of folks would assume that China or Mongolia would be the biggest border. Bloomer was also an easy money because I didn't feel that it was a widely known fact.
I knew it was one of China (#6), Mongolia (#4), and Kazakhstan (#2), and wrongly assumed they were all about equal; the Kazakh border is actually almost as long as the China and Mongolia borders combined.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:05 pm
alietr wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:47 pm
Needs more zombies.
After thinking about it some more, most tv shows would be improved with more zombies.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:06 pm Wait, U and Bloomer were ideal money choices???
Especially Bloomer given "women's garment namesake." I really didn't know any of those other things about her, but that bit was the Pavlov for me. My moneying was awful. I ended up in 1399th place but could have been 28th with ideal moneying.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Finally...a beer. Only took 50 matches...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Strangely I got the three hardest questions of yesterday's set correct, but missed the other three. However, I had an outside shot at a six pack, as I had the correct answers under consideration for all of the other three. It ended up not mattering all that much, as my opponent forfeit.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Defensive win for me yesterday 9(5)-6(5). My opponent inexplicably gave me three points for Moai (and zero for Noma, which I missed).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'll bet there were a lot of slapped foreheads when people saw "A&E".
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I did nah see MD15Q1 coming
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'd like to thank Thorsten for his largesse in accepting "Achilles tendon" yesterday.

Less than 50% got "angels fear to tread?"
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:15 am I'd like to thank Thorsten for his largesse in accepting "Achilles tendon" yesterday.

There are a lot of possible variants to that phrase. I was entirely unsure how to defend Pink Flamingos, a cult classic but one that may not be so generally known. This was especially true for me, as I was up against my referrer and OQL teammate bomtr, whose knowledge base is pretty well known to me... but not to the extent of his familiarity with cult films. For my part, that and Eraserhead were very formative influences on my cinematic experience.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

alietr wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:15 am I'll bet there were a lot of slapped foreheads when people saw "A&E".
I definitely thought the successor to the Alpha channel would be Bravo.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:51 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:15 am I'd like to thank Thorsten for his largesse in accepting "Achilles tendon" yesterday.

There are a lot of possible variants to that phrase.
Yeah, I suspect many were off by one word.

The get rate I was impressed with yesterday was Austria-Hungary and Serbia. Very surprised nearly 50% knew that. There were a lot of players in that war and how it all got started was a bit convoluted.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:13 pm

The get rate I was impressed with yesterday was Austria-Hungary and Serbia. Very surprised nearly 50% knew that. There were a lot of players in that war and how it all got started was a bit convoluted.
I had trouble remembering who started it, and that was with having recently read The Guns of August (although it pretty much glosses over Franz Ferdinand to concentrate on Germany and France).
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:13 pm

I was able to get a lucky guess it based on the wording. “Monarchies” and “Would not exist in current form in 5 years”. That limits it considerably. I knew the Hapsburgs were involved but HRE wouldn’t be called a monarchy so I got Austria-Hungary, then also guessed Serbia.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

"would not exist as such five years later" put me in the mind of exclusively naming countries that remain nonexistent today. Austria-Hungary was fine, but I found myself wondering what country Serbia was a part of in 1914, and I made up Serbo-Croatia to cost myself a win.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I would have expected a lot of people to include Germany (I did), since it was no longer a monarchy after WWI.