LL Season 96

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LL Season 96

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mahatma wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:14 pm FischesserM

Doxxing myself
Oh, I knew that. Duh. You're sitting pretty right now!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I guessed tikka masala for garam masala. That one word was the difference between a 6-pack and not a 6-pack for me. I had heard of garam masala, but there was no way it was going to come to me.

Busan and Incheon were the two cities that I had under consideration for the question on cities in South Korea. I hate to admit it, but I couldn't remember for sure if either city was in North or South Korea. I went with Busan as the one that I was more confident in and was so happy that it was right, though I still lost.

I also debated between violets and fuchsia for the flowers. So much for that! I never would have guessed pink.

My get rate on the questions this season is pretty much exactly my career average, but it has felt on the difficult side. I also feel like there have been more questions than normal this season where I had the correct answer under consideration but went with a different guess.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

StevenH wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:36 pm I guessed tikka masala for garam masala. That one word was the difference between a 6-pack and not a 6-pack for me. I had heard of garam masala, but there was no way it was going to come to me.

Busan and Incheon were the two cities that I had under consideration for the question on cities in South Korea. I hate to admit it, but I couldn't remember for sure if either city was in North or South Korea. I went with Busan as the one that I was more confident in and was so happy that it was right, though I still lost.

I also debated between violets and fuchsia for the flowers. So much for that! I never would have guessed pink.

My get rate on the questions this season is pretty much exactly my career average, but it has felt on the difficult side. I also feel like there have been more questions than normal this season where I had the correct answer under consideration but went with a different guess.
Busan and Incheon were my two choices, too. I spent way too much time dithering between the two.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

For BWA I went with a Good Red Wine, then Henry Kissinger, then Unlimited Breadsticks.
Woof

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:16 pm For BWA I went with a Good Red Wine, then Henry Kissinger, then Unlimited Breadsticks.
For me, Mothers Little Helper was the standout, though I also liked scarysportybabygingerposh.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I actually considered Fail Gaol as a real answer to the rugby Q.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I didn't think that I had any chance of winning yesterday, but I pulled it out 4(2)-3(3). I thought for sure that I would get a 0 and 1 for the two questions that I did know, Sweden and perfect numbers. Before yesterday I was in danger of falling to the relegation zone and going back to E, but now I am guaranteed to stay in D.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

ouachiouat - We almost assigned the same pointage to each other. Sorry about the 9(6) although you could afford the defeat better than I could have with a day to go with B vs. C hanging in the balance.

I got lucky twice in switching from Finland to Sweden and only getting perfect number to have something there.

Good luck to DHK who is in a bunch right there on the edge of making top 5 to move to A.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

2 in my rundle beered. One was my estimable opponent, BarrettM. Good match Mark! May it prove useful in your battle to stay in B!
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:54 am ouachiouat - We almost assigned the same pointage to each other. Sorry about the 9(6) although you could afford the defeat better than I could have with a day to go with B vs. C hanging in the balance.

I got lucky twice in switching from Finland to Sweden and only getting perfect number to have something there.

Good luck to DHK who is in a bunch right there on the edge of making top 5 to move to A.
Ha! We were typing at the same time. No worries about the 9(6); couldn't be happier for you at this time. I did the same with Perfect number. Had no chance at Bojangles without a chicken or Green Mile hint. Didn't know Ripley without a stronger hint at the film--if he had put "talented" in the clue along with antiheroic and amoral I may have pulled it, but alas. Got Sweden after considering Lithuania as well.

Good match, and may today go as smoothly for you!
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I won on MD25 2(1)-1(1), and claimed the top spot in Foundry D Div 1, my first time ever ending a season in the #1 position, in this, my 29th LL season. This, despite only ranking 25th out of 30 in TCA with 56 and 19th in Total Match Points, typical of most seasons; I've had seasons where I did answer more correct. This marks only the 3rd time in 29 seasons I've been in the #1 position at any time.

With my top place finish, I am headed to C rundle for the first time ever in LL97. Certainly, my ceiling...as this LL96 was only my 6th season ever in D rundle, and no doubt, it will be a short stay and I'll be back down to D, and eventually, E in time.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Argh I can’t believe I whiffed on The Smiths question, a band I actually listened to in the 80s — on cassette tapes!

“Ordinary” sent me down a path to nowhere

Finished at the top of C Taiga Waterfront, earning promotion and a bounce back up to B from A, B, B, C
Woof

Post by Woof »

Boardies represent! A Continental final standings:
win - bomtr
place - me
show - Reddpen

with bomtr and me sharing Maso honors. And a shout-out to our estimable OQL teammate Teapot37 for his 3-place finish in A Piedmont.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:29 pm Boardies represent! A Continental final standings:
win - bomtr
place - me
show - Reddpen

with bomtr and me sharing Maso honors. And a shout-out to our estimable OQL teammate Teapot37 for his 3-place finish in A Piedmont.
Nice work all! I ended on a strong note by winning my final four match days, but it wasn't quite enough to put me in championship spot (I ended up in 5th). Interestingly my career QPct is now exactly the same as what my QPct was for LL96.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Shout out to mahatma for edging out the Hughes crew for first place in A Fjord. (adverdent doxxing notwithstanding ;) - I saw an earlier one, lol).
In other news, BigDaddyMatty dominated the JBoardfundle fecklessness division with a .188 DE. The skipped season in LL95 got everybody off their tank mojo, but that is an abhorrent level of defense :). We will try to get our stink game up for LL97.

The mashup that is the new WTF rundle (waterfront) has been through it's first rinse cycle. There's a little extra turbulence that happens when you distribute players from the same putative rundle level into a new rundle. Second place finisher, in E div 1 had 81 TCA, and the next best was 68 TCA.

I finished 3rd after leading much of the season and then crumbled like the KC Chiefs, just clinging to promotion. My 60 TCA is my second lowest after my rookie season and about 8 below my average. I did manage to pull off a statistical anomaly by having ZERO threes given to me. Only one other player in all of WTF had zero, from a 40 TCA season. The anomaly is that I had a 9-6 (beer, sixpack, etc) this season but was not credited for the three because of opponent forfeit. Oh well, the universe picked the right guy to pick on - I'm just here for the participation medal. 8-)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I stayed in A thanks to the 3 FLs of someone getting relegated and somehow stayed over .600 QPct, but by one question only. Worst get rate for me in 22 seasons, but, fair disclosure, it's not abnormally off. More than 1SD, but less than 2.

So, hopefully this balances out the scales and next season won't feel so much like a beatdown :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:33 pm Shout out to mahatma for edging out the Hughes crew...
Sometimes going up against those two feels like
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Going into MD24, I needed a win or a tie in the final two games to secure 2nd place. Two losses would mean I'd finish anywhere between 2nd and 7th. I lost Monday, so it came down to the final match against mrparadise. I ended up winning, but even if I'd lost, I still would've gotten promoted (and he would've leapfrogged me) thanks to (un)lucky ties or losses by players below me.
Finished with 102 correct answers but no 9(6)'s. That might be a record number of TCA without a beer!
Hoping for a third lap
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Can somebody post the link to the BWAs? No idea how to find it. Edit: never mind I found it. I’m not allowed to see them yet though…

Thorsten’s farewell message for LL96 had some information I didn’t know about and I’m glad he seems to be doing ok.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

sarisson wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:50 pm Finished with 102 correct answers but no 9(6)'s. That might be a record number of TCA without a beer!
Well, tied if it is. I did that last season :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)