Thursday, March 2, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Thursday, March 2, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Of the sports clues, I only knew the bottom one, and that's only because "chukkers" is a trivia chestnut.
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:57 pm QF round complete: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7742

IN THE SPORT: 0/5 with 3 incorrect guesses for minus 2400 - The players, not me. :) I ran that category.

DJ26 Caleb made a calculated gesture to his face or was it just a typical touch of the face that everyone does countless times a day? For someone reason my Spidey sense went on that Caleb reacted either to that response being accepted as correct or to something about the clue. Or I could be completely wrong and Caleb is welcome to post here and set things straight.

Caleb has posted on Reddit that wagers ending in $18 are a Jewish good luck thing with that number.
I won't steal bibliophage's thunder, but Hebrew letters are also used as numbers, and the two letters that make up the number "18" are letters in the word "life".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I once used "logorrhea" as a blog title, though it never really lived up to its name. I am annoyed when I hear the phrase "diarrhea of the mouth"; lazy and disgusting.

Communist Manifesto just seems to come up much more than Capital. My first and only other thought was "Democracy in America", though that would put part of the answer in the question.

21st Century sports are not a strength, but I learned these five things comfortably within the 20th.
I'm smart and I want respect.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Rackme32 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:24 am
John Boy wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:22 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:57 pm QF round complete: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7742

IN THE SPORT: 0/5 with 3 incorrect guesses for minus 2400 - The players, not me. :) I ran that category.
BTW (and I know this is a really old cultural reference), did anyone else think Caleb brought back memories of Eddie Haskell, only with brains? And I had the same reaction to Caleb as I had with Eddie, watching the old Leave it to Beaver show.
Agree re: the sports... Those were super-easy, even if you have barely even heard of the sports mentioned...

And yes, Caleb is the modern-day Eddie. I was half-expecting "Gee, you really nice today, Mrs. Cleaver" to come flying out of his piehole at any time...
Thanks. I always appreciate knowing IT'S NOT JUST ME!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (The rapper gets me again.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:18 pm
Leander wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:28 pm Seems hard to decide between The Communist Manifesto and Das Kapital based on the content of the clue.
In this tournament they've been going for the blindingly obvious.
Exactly. I've said "keep it simple" and I wish I'd kept to that in this game. I changed from the Manifesto to Capital, I guess just because the latter is a more substantial work, as if that matters...I might have changed back given a few more seconds.
The term "casual water" threw me off in the golf clue - "shank" should have given it to me. I got all the others.
"Logorrhea" is very familiar. I've probably been on both ends of that accusation... :) At first I thought of glossolalia - not the same thing at all - but then I remembered that logos = word, and that gave it to me...
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

I knew logorrhea, but I wasn't sure it was right. I thought it might be too obscure a word for Jeopardy. I looked it up and found it has occurred exactly once before in the archive, in this game from 2000, where it formed part of the clue rather than the response.

FJ was basicially "What book by Karl Marx am I thinking of?" I guessed wrong. The Communist Manifesto is slightly more common Jeopardy fodder (32 hits in the archive, vs. 23) and typically more succinct and quotable, but Das Kapital is a much longer work, hence covering topics not covered by the former. Marx did, in fact, say something somewhat similar in volume III of Das Kapital: "There is no doubt—and it is precisely this fact which has led to many wrong conceptions—that in the 16th and 17th centuries the great revolutions, which took place in commerce with the through geographical discoveries and rapidly increased the development of merchants’ capital, form one of the principal elements in the transition from feudal to capitalist production. The sudden expansion of the world market, the multiplication of the circulating commodities, the zeal displayed among the European nations in the race after the products of Asia and the treasures of America, the colonial system, materially contributed toward the destruction of the feudal barriers of production." https://www.econlib.org/library/YPDBook ... ook-reader
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:21 pm When a player is already in the archive I have a bad habit of ignoring the intro.
Speaking of players and their intros, I just corrected Maggie Brown, who was listed on the official website (and initially entered in the Archive) as a sophomore but who was announced by Johnny as a junior (news articles corroborate). So I changed her to "junior". I also added a note about her big sis's appearance on Millionaire.