Friday, March 10, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, March 10, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by OrchidEntity »

Wasn't super invested in the HST and mostly read the online summaries and such (though I'll be happy if the winner does well in the ToC), so I'm glad to come back to Stephen's fourth win. Happy to see a clue about Mythbusters as well.
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:56 pm Next up, Monday, where one of the challengers is yours truly, Roy Camara, taking his shot from the middle podium. I hope you all tune in (of course you will) and enjoy!
What?! Three boardies getting on the show across a month (or so) of taping dates? How exciting. Good retro luck to you!
DBear wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:21 pm 24/0, 20/1 had protoplasm for ectoplasm :(
Could be worse. I flubbed it and had ectoplasma...
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

ouachiouat wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:26 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:42 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:31 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:56 pm Next up, Monday, where one of the challengers is yours truly, Roy Camara, taking his shot from the middle podium. I hope you all tune in (of course you will) and enjoy!
You're going to be on the show? Retro good luck. :D
The end of game shot of Monday players:
Spoiler
Retro Good Luck, and congrats on making it, BrigadierSolo! I must say, you've aged quite gracefully since your avatar photo was painted. Might we have a real-life Dorian Gray playing Monday?
I'll join the bandwagon of RGL beseechers. I was just about to post and ask if any boardies have tape dates next week, but you won't be able to reveal if you do, lol..

While I'm at it - twelvefootgirl and I are taking a long delayed trip to LA for 3 weeks. Sorry we missed morbeedo's and threearuda's games. I just now checked for tape dates and am on the wait list for the (ugh) Master's tournament taping on the 14th of March (Pi day). I'd much rather luck into seeing a boardie than these retreads (The contestants are Matt Amodio, Sam Buttrey, Andrew He, James Holzhauer, Mattea Roach and Amy Schneider.)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:58 pm Did they say "practicum" was "German-named"?
Yes. German is the new Latin?
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

"Literary Before & After" was confusingly named for me. I kept expecting both the "before" and the "after" to be literary based. It took me a couple of clues before I realized only one had to be literature.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:00 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:58 pm Did they say "practicum" was "German-named"?
Yes. German is the new Latin?
From the OED-
Origin: A borrowing from German. Etymon: German Practicum.
Etymology: < German †Practicum course of practical training, especially in a university context (1843 or earlier; now Praktikum (1872 or earlier)), use as noun of classical Latin or post-classical Latin practicum , neuter of practicus practical, concerned with action (see practic adj.).
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Guessed Charles II for FJ.

Looking forward to Monday to see you play!

I hope the games on this board and on protobowl are good preparation to succeed on the show against a good competitor.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:56 pm Next up, Monday, where one of the challengers is yours truly, Roy Camara, taking his shot from the middle podium.
Go get 'em, Brigadier!
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I could have had 14,000 guesses on FJ, and not gotten close.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

LOL, just LOL at Henry Ford's son being named Pinto.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Rackme32

Post by Rackme32 »

floridagator wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:27 pm LOL, just LOL at Henry Ford's son being named Pinto.
Also LOL at Secretariat beating War Admiral in 1938. Secretariat was minus-42 years old in 1938... :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Rackme32 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:46 pm
floridagator wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:27 pm LOL, just LOL at Henry Ford's son being named Pinto.
Also LOL at Secretariat beating War Admiral in 1938. Secretariat was minus-42 years old in 1938... :)
He won the triple crown seven years before he was born?
davey

Post by davey »

I imagine that Secretariat was the only famous racehorse Nick could think of in that moment. Like me. I knew it was the horse they made a movie about, and I might have rung in thinking the right name would come. But since Seabiscuit didn't surface, I might have ended up saying Secretariat...
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I think I would have pulled FJ if spotted Protestantism. Without it, wasted too much time wondering about religion versus non-religion and couldn't find a hook.
Bamaman wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:50 pm He won the triple crown seven years before he was born?
I've always wondered why they restrict the only races most people care about to three-year-olds. It's ten times worse than Logan's Run.
Rackme32

Post by Rackme32 »

Okay, 32 years.
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:59 pmWhile I'm at it - twelvefootgirl and I are taking a long delayed trip to LA for 3 weeks. Sorry we missed morbeedo's and threearuda's games. I just now checked for tape dates and am on the wait list for the (ugh) Master's tournament taping on the 14th of March (Pi day). I'd much rather luck into seeing a boardie than these retreads (The contestants are Matt Amodio, Sam Buttrey, Andrew He, James Holzhauer, Mattea Roach and Amy Schneider.)
Re: Your Wednesday, March 22 post about watching Jeopardy! at your hotel:
"Remember when motels advertised "Color TV" on their billboards? We watched the show tonight in our hotel room exactly WHEN it was broadcast, and without benefit of pause, rewind, or fast forward or jump buttons."

My wife and I watched this March 10th episode as it was been shown on WABC-TV, New York, while on an American Airlines flight from Miami to Ecuador.
Shortly after that, we lost the live TV feed, but it was was fun and pretty cool to watch J! in that unexpected situation.