Monday, March 13, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Clayfran
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: Monday, March 13, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Clayfran »

First time participant here, so be gentle with me.

While watching the 3/13 show, my wife and I were both stunned to hear Stephen begin two of his responses in the show’s first segment with “Is that…”. No one - not Ken, nor the other contestants, nor the judges - seemed to catch this. Is it no longer necessary for a response to begin with a who/what/where interrogative?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Clayfran wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:16 pm First time participant here, so be gentle with me.

While watching the 3/13 show, my wife and I were both stunned to hear Stephen begin two of his responses in the show’s first segment with “Is that…”. No one - not Ken, nor the other contestants, nor the judges - seemed to catch this. Is it no longer necessary for a response to begin with a who/what/where interrogative?
It's never been necessary; the rule is that responses must be phrased in the form of a question, and they don't quibble over whether the answer as given by the show proceeds naturally from the question as given by the contestant (heck, the clues themselves with their intended responses have strained the trope for a long time). "Is it," "How about," and "Could it be" are all acceptable as long as what follows is correct.
OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

Clayfran wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:16 pm First time participant here, so be gentle with me.

Welcome to the board!

It's pretty rare, but "is it" or "is that" phrasing has happened before, though I doubt excessive usage is appreciated by the show (otherwise, we'd be seeing a lot more of it). But here's an early accepted "is it" instance happening in FJ.
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
da Doctah
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by da Doctah »

OrchidEntity wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:02 pm

Welcome to the board!

It's pretty rare, but "is it" or "is that" phrasing has happened before, though I doubt excessive usage is appreciated by the show (otherwise, we'd be seeing a lot more of it). But here's an early accepted "is it" instance happening in FJ.
Maybe they're a little more loosey-goosey about such things in the Celebrity games, but I remember Carol Burnett responding to more than one clue in the form "the Magna Carta, what is it?"