Tuesday, March 21, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, March 21, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

I was slightly insecure that I had the wrong cathedral, but other than that I knew exactly what they were looking for and that just "cathedral" (or other vague place) wouldn't cut it...
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

LOL, just LOL at Semper Fi being derived from a Chinese term.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Denali is a TS when spotted 7 summits? Yikes! For FJ: too late for Hastings, too early for Bosworth field. Totally overlooked Thomas a Beckett. Bah!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I need to commit 1170 and Becket's assassination to memory because I didn't think of it at all last night. I put Agincourt despite knowing that was a couple hundred years later.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash: whalebone, Richard Bachman, gung ho, disaster 8-)

had Xerxes for Darius :(
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Couldn't get TV & Movie Cities $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:52 pm I knew the event but not where it took place.
Had the right event, but couldn't remember whether it was Canterbury Cathedral or Westminster Abbey. Naturally picked the wrong one.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Woof wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:33 pm Denali is a TS when spotted 7 summits? Yikes!
Just last week I confidently announced a wrong answer at pub trivia because I knew the identity of the eighth summit (Puncak Jaya) but mixed up the two parts of the island of New Guinea.
Golf

Post by Golf »

da Doctah wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:40 pm Just last week I confidently announced a wrong answer at pub trivia because I knew the identity of the eighth summit (Puncak Jaya) but mixed up the two parts of the island of New Guinea.
Referring to it as Carstensz Pyramid is an option.

Yeah, I can see trouble occurring on a question referring to the 7 summits asking about Europe or Australia because of the multiple definitions.

Fun fact, climbing the 2nd highest mountains on each continent(especially when using the New Guinea option) is much more difficult than the highest.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

DBear wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:30 am trash: whalebone, Richard Bachman, gung ho, disaster 8-)

had Xerxes for Darius :(
Darius and Xerxes (and Cyrus) are on my list of things I get confused. It helps me, and might help others who do the same thing, to pair Darius and Marathon as "normal names" and Xerxes and Thermopylae as "weird names".
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Golf wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:36 pm
da Doctah wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:40 pm Just last week I confidently announced a wrong answer at pub trivia because I knew the identity of the eighth summit (Puncak Jaya) but mixed up the two parts of the island of New Guinea.
Referring to it as Carstensz Pyramid is an option.
It wasn't in that form. It was given as "Mt Wilhelm is the tallest peak in which country?" with a multiple-choice of Papua New Guinea and four others. I confidently told my team that whatever country it was, it couldn't be that one, because I knew with 100% certainty that the highest peak in New Guinea was Puncak Jaya.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:34 pm Darius and Xerxes (and Cyrus) are on my list of things I get confused. It helps me, and might help others who do the same thing, to pair Darius and Marathon as "normal names" and Xerxes and Thermopylae as "weird names".
I once threw out an idle question of "how old were you when you realized that Xerxes and Ahasuerus were not only the same guy, but different renderings of the same name for the same guy?" This was on an English-usage Usenet group where one of the more scholarly regulars (the guy who fine-tuned and presented a way of representing IPA pronunciations using only regular ASCII, and a practicing Jew) answered "the day some random guy on Usenet brought it up".