Thursday, March 23, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, March 23, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Golf wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:33 am 1, memorize the table, just element and number. Not difficult
If you say so.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Justin Verlander and Kat Von D.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:22 pm
Golf wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:33 am 1, memorize the table, just element and number. Not difficult
If you say so.
This horse is dead, and thanks boardies for the enlightenment of the cheat code (name and accentuation). I'm still pleased to get there the hard way and finding out Eureka, France is a country! I couldn't handle the notion of memorizing so much information. My luck, I'd have it stone cold in groups of ten and exact order. OK, cowboy, start your mnemonic devices and stop at 87 :lol: . It's tantamount to singing the whole alphabet song to get to "what comes before R?"

Some accidental knowledge: There are 8 elements named after countries. Or five. Or seven. The internet can't decide. One list includes scandium and one includes even beryllium with the weirdest explanation. One I didn't know is Copper is credited to cuprum and Cypress somehow, which is probably legit.

A fun factoid, which I never thought about and is probably a simple trivia staple:
What country is named after an element?
Spoiler
Argentina, from argentum, the Latin word for silver that bestows the chemical symbol Ag
My list would include the above country. The laws of physics demand time symmetry :lol: . To be fair, I'd also count France if it was named after the copious francium mines on it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:49 am
Some accidental knowledge: There are 8 elements named after countries. Or five. Or seven. The internet can't decide. One list includes scandium and one includes even beryllium with the weirdest explanation. One I didn't know is Copper is credited to cuprum and Cypress somehow, which is probably legit.
The only slam dunks are Fr, Ge, Po and Nh. One can make a case for Cu and maybe Ga. In and Am are red herrings in my book and the rest are non-starters.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Woof wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:24 am
The only slam dunks are Fr, Ge, Po and Nh. One can make a case for Cu and maybe Ga. In and Am are red herrings in my book and the rest are non-starters.
Yeah, I snicker at Am as a clueless whiff. I think it was nice of the naming team to shout out to both continents in the Western hemisphere. We still have people wanting to make both continents great again ;). I'm waiting for us to name footballium as a tribute to the round ball version played globally.

I think Gallium makes the list, and Pluto still isn't a planet but we can count Pu on the list since it was fraudently a planet at the time. Only Venus, Mars, and Jupiter are snubbed. Here's a good citation (I couldn't remember Earth's counterpart off top of head so found this):
Spoiler
Here’s an alphabetical list of elements named for planets and astronomical objects, or perhaps from the gods/goddesses for which the objects were named. Most names come from planets, the moon, and the sun, since these objects are easily seen in the sky.

Cerium – Ceres, the first asteroid to be discovered. Roman goddess of grain, similar to the Greek’s Demeter.
Helium – Helios, the Greek name for the Sun
Mercury – Mercury, a planet. Winged Roman god of travel.
Neptunium – Neptune, a blue planet. Roman god of the sea.
Palladium – Pallas, the second asteroid to be discovered. Greek name given to Athena after she killed a playmate named Pallas or, according to some legends, the giant Pallas. Palladium was also the name of a sacred image kept in the temple of Athena at Troy.
Plutonium – Pluto, a dwarf planet. Roman god of the underworld, said to be able to render himself invisible.
Selenium – Selene, the Greek name for the Moon.
Tellurium – Tellus, the Latin name for the Earth. Roman earth goddess; also called Terra Mater, similar to the Greek’s Gaea.
Uranium – Uranus, a planet. Greek god of the heavens, son of Gaea.
Related Posts
Woof

Post by Woof »

We were talking about elements named for countries, though. Roman Gaul, although commonly associated with France, took in territory from about six other countries, too. In my book, it’s no more of a country than Scandinavia or Europe.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:19 am Pluto still isn't a planet but we can count Pu on the list since it was fraudently a planet at the time. Only Venus, Mars, and Jupiter are snubbed.
I just say Plutonium is a dwarf element now and have done with it.

Here's a better one: besides aluminum, what two elements have different spellings in American and British English?

Or if that's too easy, maybe one about how many elements have names that end in "-um" but not in "-ium".
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

da Doctah wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:17 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:19 am Pluto still isn't a planet but we can count Pu on the list since it was fraudently a planet at the time. Only Venus, Mars, and Jupiter are snubbed.
All in fun, and not argumentative, I'd suggest that Plutonium was named for the planet Pluto. Pluto's subsequent categorization as something else does not change the fact that when the element was named it was named for a planet. We don't question whether a planet was named for god based on any argument over the actual existence of a particular Greek or Roman god. A school named for a president was still named for a president even after they've left office.
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!
Woof

Post by Woof »

Here's a better one: besides aluminum, what two elements have different spellings in American and British English?

Or if that's too easy, maybe one about how many elements have names that end in "-um" but not in "-ium".
One that comes to mind readily is
Spoiler
sulfur/sulphur
. I’ll have to think hard about the other
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Woof wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:10 am

Spoiler
sulfur/sulphur
I would guess
Spoiler
cesium/caesium
Woof

Post by Woof »

nserven wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:06 pm
Woof wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:10 am

Spoiler
sulfur/sulphur
I would guess
Spoiler
cesium/caesium
D’Oh! Yep..
earendel

Post by earendel »

da Doctah wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:17 am Or if that's too easy, maybe one about how many elements have names that end in "-um" but not in "-ium".
Spoiler
Molybdenum, lanthanum, tantalum - so three.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

FJ was an instaget for me based solely on Monty Norman's name. It's a standard credit in nearly every Bond film: "James Bond Theme by Monty Norman." However, I would not characterize it as a theme song. A better name for the category might have been MOVIE THEME MUSIC or MOVIE THEMES or simply MOVIE MUSIC.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:42 pm However, I would not characterize it as a theme song. A better name for the category might have been MOVIE THEME MUSIC or MOVIE THEMES or simply MOVIE MUSIC.
See, if Monty Norman had been smart, he would have written lyrics ("DAH DAH DA-DAHHH!") so no one could come in and Gene Roddenberry him.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

earendel wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:01 pm
da Doctah wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:17 am Or if that's too easy, maybe one about how many elements have names that end in "-um" but not in "-ium".
Spoiler
Plus
Spoiler
Platinum. Nice job on the La, Ta.
Well done by Woof and Nserven on the other two spelling aberrations. This was a fun wrinkle challenge from Herr Da Doctah. Dwarf elements are now in my trivia lexicon, so we got to include Cerium and Palladium as family members. I guess Selenium and Titanium have their own club as satellite elements.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

earendel wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:01 pm
Spoiler
Platinum
In and out of the pool four times
Sage on the Hudson

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

OrchidEntity wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:01 pm Really wanted to see Melissa pull off the win, but she did get here in part due to at least two lucky breaks: surviving a poor wager and surviving someone else's poor wager. I guess if nothing else, her loss makes it easier to root for idearat tomorrow (good retro luck!), though I like Alec.

(This got a laugh out of me, so thanks!)
Oh, you just like her because she resembles Gates McFadden from "Star Trek: the Next Generation."

Sage on the Hudson

cinemaniax7 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:42 pm FJ was an instaget for me based solely on Monty Norman's name. It's a standard credit in nearly every Bond film: "James Bond Theme by Monty Norman." However, I would not characterize it as a theme song. A better name for the category might have been MOVIE THEME MUSIC or MOVIE THEMES or simply MOVIE MUSIC.
You're exactly right. Music is the umbrella under which many subsets of expression sit, including songs. All songs are music; not all music is songs. Songs, by definition must have lyrics. While a purely instrumental cover of a song is still a song, Norman's composition has never had official lyrics (the later addidtion of lyrics without the contribution or assent of the composer doesn't magically turn a piece of music into a song).

I don't understand why the distinction between music and song is so difficult for some people; you'd think that Jeopardy!'s writers would have the intellectual wherewithal to make it.
Sage on the Hudson

Woof wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:24 am
You can make a tentative case for rhodium and the former Rhodesia, though of course both their names actually derive from the Greek island of Rhodes (Ρόδος), as does that little state on Narragansett Bay.
Sage on the Hudson

Fleeboy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:02 pm I've always associated John Barry with the Bond theme. Norman's name was new to me. Still, the elements in the clue pointed to no one else but 007.
The authorship of the theme has been the subject of lawsuits. The final disposition of the case assigned it to Norman, but the matter remains a bit fuzzy.