Thursday, March 23, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Thursday, March 23, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

Monty Norman was enough for me
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:36 pm new trash available today with ... the ace married to the model.
The 'Upton girl' line got an audible groan from me...
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:28 pm
DBear wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:18 pm dilithium crystals :geek:
A proud :geek: from me as well
Aaaactually, dilithium crystals simply regulate the reaction between matter and antimatter which actually powers the ship. You don't say your fuel injector nozzle powers your car. I sure hope somebody got fired for that blunder! *gets shoved under a Horta*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Golf wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:27 pm DD2, when given many seconds to offer an answer and in the end offering nothing. That just can't happen, say something, anything. Shouldn't ever happen on a regular clue as well. DD3, an element named after a country. And while at least an answer was offered this time, it wasn't an element real or otherwise named for a country.
This seems a bit harsh. Say something, anything. Names something. Gets criticized for naming an element named after Scandinavia, which might have been a country at sometime.

I thought this was one of the hardest Periodic table clues to get from first principles. I'm curious how the boardies parsed it whether they got it or not. I was narrowing down from Radon to Lead but it was the alkali metal TOM that got me to Francium, which is possibly the rarest element on earth (real elements, not fake manmade ones). (PSA - Astatine is the rarest element, with 25 grams present at any given time, compared to Francium with a whopping 30 grams.) There are a bunch of elements named after countries so harvesting a guess is tough and Scandia is cromulent imho.

I am impressed when contestants can pull up any implausible guess, but see nothing wrong with surrendering when you get brain locked. I did come up with Feng Shui, but mentally prounounced it as Feng She, so probably a no go. I empathize for the "at love first sight" blurt - you do need to play the mental tape first, yet try to keep in rhythm.

I chose James Bond reluctantly because I never knew the song was considered a "theme" song. Staccato easily took away Lars theme, and I know no other candidates so I went with 007.

I'm looking forward to seeing a boardie on my hand-crank wind-up television in my hotel room. Good retro luck, idearat!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Well, here's how I got the answer to the Francium clue - "Marguerite Perey, sounds French, Francium it is!"

That Nebraska clue for $2000! Should have been a top box clue

Got FJ mostly from the description of the character
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:15 pm
Golf wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:27 pm DD2, when given many seconds to offer an answer and in the end offering nothing. That just can't happen, say something, anything. Shouldn't ever happen on a regular clue as well. DD3, an element named after a country. And while at least an answer was offered this time, it wasn't an element real or otherwise named for a country.
This seems a bit harsh. Say something, anything. Names something. Gets criticized for naming an element named after Scandinavia, which might have been a country at sometime.
Sometimes there's no pleasing the peanut gallery... "Say something, anything!" "No not THAT anything, that's worse than nothing!"
*flashbacks to the Colorado thread*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

RetiredDoc wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:52 pm Well, here's how I got the answer to the Francium clue - "Marguerite Perey, sounds French, Francium it is!"

damn. My list would have been cut down to Gallium and Francium with that logic! Well done and 'splained. I catch a few of them out of my lane that stump the boardies with similar strategy.

It's still a worthy $2K clue which will buy you a couple of picograms of the stuff.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I'm definitely NOT a Bond fan... But somehow guessed correctly, even though the description led me to the Mission Impossible theme... Fortunately, I couldn't think of what the music in my head belonged to, and guessed Bond...

I didn't remember what the Mission Impossible theme sounded like, either... Just lucky, I guess.

As usual, I didn't know too many of the correct responses, but... nailed three of the nine Triple Stumpers.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I thought this was one of the hardest Periodic table clues to get from first principles. I'm curious how the boardies parsed it whether they got it or not. I was narrowing down from Radon to Lead but it was the alkali metal TOM that got me to Francium, which is possibly the rarest element on earth (real elements, not fake manmade ones). (PSA - Astatine is the rarest element, with 25 grams present at any given time, compared to Francium with a whopping 30 grams.) There are a bunch of elements named after countries so harvesting a guess is tough and Scandia is cromulent imho.
The Periodic Table is a strong area for me, but this was not easy. Atomic number 87 meant it was the first row 7 element. I had a tossup between francium & polonium, but the name tipped me in the right direction.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The Amor Towles video category kind of ruined it for me. With that name I figured he wasn't just some generic middle-aged white guy. Now I don't want to read The Lincoln Highway nearly as much. :D
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Agreed. It's a hell of a lot better guess than a clam.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Immediately after watching this episode, I went to my Thursday night pinball league, where there are two different James Bond pinball machines right next to each other (and I happened to end up playing them both).

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

DBear wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:12 am
The Periodic Table is a strong area for me, but this was not easy. Atomic number 87 meant it was the first row 7 element. I had a tossup between francium & polonium, but the name tipped me in the right direction.
Again it helps to watch and listen to the show. Ken used a SUPER FRENCH accent when giving the namer's name. And the clue told you it was the heaviest of the alkali metals, you don't need to have all the numbers memorized to know where to place 87.
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

DBear wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:18 pm dilithium crystals :geek:
A proud :geek: from me as well
[/quote]
Aaaactually, dilithium crystals simply regulate the reaction between matter and antimatter which actually powers the ship. You don't say your fuel injector nozzle powers your car. I sure hope somebody got fired for that blunder! *gets shoved under a Horta*
[/quote]

I had the same thought that dilithium doesn't power a starship, matter/antimatter annihilation does. The crystals are like a catalyst IIRC.

I was surprised I had never heard who did the Bond theme, but went with Bond for FY, anyway.
bob
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

'Ruthlessness' took me away from Bond. I've always associated that with a bad guy. Bond only killed defensively or proactively. He hardly lacked pity or compassion for anyone that didn't have evil intent.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

alietr wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:41 am 'Ruthlessness' took me away from Bond. I've always associated that with a bad guy. Bond only killed defensively or proactively. He hardly lacked pity or compassion for anyone that didn't have evil intent.
I’d say his ruthlessness in the books was toned down for the movies. But still, the way he takes care of Professor Dent in Dr. No (which uses Norman’s tune as its theme over the opening credits) is pretty cold.
davey

Post by davey »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:39 am
alietr wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:41 am 'Ruthlessness' took me away from Bond. I've always associated that with a bad guy. Bond only killed defensively or proactively. He hardly lacked pity or compassion for anyone that didn't have evil intent.
I’d say his ruthlessness in the books was toned down for the movies. But still, the way he takes care of Professor Dent in Dr. No (which uses Norman’s tune as its theme over the opening credits) is pretty cold.
Note the announcer's proud description at :50-

"whom he pleases, where he pleases, when he pleases..."
Golf

Post by Golf »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:15 pm I thought this was one of the hardest Periodic table clues to get from first principles. I'm curious how the boardies parsed it whether they got it or not. I was narrowing down from Radon to Lead but it was the alkali metal TOM that got me to Francium, which is possibly the rarest element on earth (real elements, not fake manmade ones). (PSA - Astatine is the rarest element, with 25 grams present at any given time, compared to Francium with a whopping 30 grams.) There are a bunch of elements named after countries so harvesting a guess is tough and Scandia is cromulent imho.
How a non-chemist would parse this clue.

1, memorize the table, just element and number. Not difficult and makes many chem clues cake.
2, there's only a few elements named after countries, what nationality does the person sound like? Certainly not German, Polish, or Japanese. That just leaves France, guess you could go with Gallium!

The heaviest element part of the clue was just filler and not relevant. At least for a non-chemist.

Over the years had several chem profs on our trivia team so perhaps that's made it easier for me(a non-chemist) to learn how to maximize limited chem knowledge to answer these clues.

And of course any answer to a clue is better than no answer. My point was that on a DD, a clue with no competitors and much longer time to parse and answer, it shouldn't be an issue to give an answer that satisfies the main part of the clue.

It's been a really rough week for game play. Monday's DJ30 DD3, Wednesday's Clavin DD3, and now this game. Not being prepared to win 5 or 6 figures in cash is just such a foreign concept to me.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Got feng shui cold (I've been carrying around with me a joke about "dung shui, the ancient Chinese art of getting your $#!% together" for years now), and matched Melissa's wrong answer.
I chose James Bond reluctantly because I never knew the song was considered a "theme" song. Staccato easily took away Lars theme, and I know no other candidates so I went with 007.
Got the right one myself, but Melissa's response did also briefly flit through my mind on the way there.

Before Ken gave it away, I wondered if anyone else was going to pick up on the "got the boot" hint for Caligula.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Rackme32 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:11 am I didn't remember what the Mission Impossible theme sounded like, either... Just lucky, I guess.
That's easy. It's in 5/4 time (except when the theatre organist at a nearby pizza place/tourist attraction plays it).

And it's by Lalo Schifrin.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Fleeboy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:02 pm I've always associated John Barry with the Bond theme. Norman's name was new to me. Still, the elements in the clue pointed to no one else but 007.
I agree with the first two sentences, which steered me away from Bond to Shaft. Not because I thought Norman wrote Shaft's theme, but because I couldn't say he didn't.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:42 pm
Fleeboy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:02 pm I've always associated John Barry with the Bond theme. Norman's name was new to me. Still, the elements in the clue pointed to no one else but 007.
I agree with the first two sentences, which steered me away from Bond to Shaft. Not because I thought Norman wrote Shaft's theme, but because I couldn't say he didn't.
Isaac Hayes is far more famous for writing the Shaft theme than Norman is for writing the Bond theme. At least the former is more of a song though... :)