Friday, March 24, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, March 24, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

idearat wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:43 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:38 pm Even in 2023 contestants can still be busted for not phrasing correctly. Ouch on Michael being the victim today.
I was so sure I had said "who is" I was waiting to watch today, only to be disappointed. This was likely a case of burning up brain cycles on the wrong thing. My head had me pondering whether to pronounce it "Thor" knowing I'd be Ok, or "Tor" and be a little pedantic. Wasting my brain on that I skipped over the basics.
Very odd that Ken said he didn't "think" you had your phrasing...Shouldn't he know? If there's any doubt, that's the time for a review of the tape!
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Austin Powers wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:48 pm Whoever wrote that FJ should be feeling “less than.“
Maybe Ken himself wrote it. He said on his podcast he came up with the genius "think of states with six letters" FJ from this season.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I said "Lesser", and I'm counting it as not only correct, but even more accurate to both parts of the clue. I kinda-sorta thought "less than" would be negged when I saw the response.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:38 pm

The FJ! clue had me match Tamara. I mentally rotated the symbol and it was like going back to whatever year of elementary school math it was I learned the symbol. Matching it to the current usage was familiar too and I would guess it I've heard it on The View many times.
I don't understand...it's a visual symbol, no? What have you heard? Surely not the women of The View referring to the marginalized "feeling less than" in so many words?
Yes, a very peculiar clue...oddly specific and yet vague at the same time...unless I'm missing a use of the math symbol to refer to people??
And at the same time, it seems hard to miss...

They could have referenced a 1985 Bret Easton Ellis novel (or 1987 Robert Downey movie) for a more specific parallel and pin... :roll:
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I could start with a string of expletives, but this game just sucked. Lousy writing. Bad playing. A college is 15 miles from Disneyland? A college was founded nine score and 11 years ago? Don't the Jeopardy writers discuss their categories with each other anymore? A category devoted to wwe? I think if you made a Venn diagram of Jeopardy and WWE fans, the middle oval would be completely shaded.

The new champ infuriated me during the Jeopardy round when she hadn't figured it out a single one of those change of letter clues before she rang in. All she did was feed the old champ. Then she got that super easy daily double. Name the river that separates Long Island from the mainland. I was expecting her to say Hudson! I think that was the only one that she sounded confident about. Every other answer she sounded like she was guessing.

The other players couldn't figure out that the guy had missed the phrasing on Thor Heyerdahl. That would have been an easy bounce. Kipling wrote Kon-Tiki?

The Final Jeopardy was so easy it was hard. I had to ask myself repeatedly, could it be that simple? Was I missing something?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:56 pm A college is 15 miles from Disneyland?
My mother attended that college, and I couldn't get it. :? They could've thrown in a Quaker/Nixon reference.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I didn't think FJ! was that bad, because really, WECIB? I figured "less than" was most likely correct, because nothing else really made sense for the second part of the clue.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

econgator wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:25 pm My brain turned "rotated" into "rotated 180 degrees", so I was trying to figure out how a conjunction symbol would make any sense.
Sherman, set the Wayback for about ten years ago, when I was trying to get people to read > as "morn", as in "for any value of x morn zero...."
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:56 pm
A college is 15 miles from Disneyland? A college was founded nine score and 11 years ago?
Why would anybody know the physical address of Whittier relevant to Disneyland? Places in Anaheim can be more than 15 miles from Disneyland (assumed true, and if false, still pedantic). Well, there MIGHT be a Gettysburg College, but perhaps it's a play on Lincoln, and there are 607 schools named after Lincoln.
When I joined the board in 2017, there was a lot of talk about staying clam. Now there's invective for doing so.

I always look forward to seeing the reactions to the games when I come in late. 25 posts in, I thought someone would have mentioned how these 12 categories were the crappiest compilation of the season. Tamara gutted out these stinkers and must have had some good buzzer mojo as well to come back from the abyss.

I suppose my official answer to FJ is "less than", but I couldn't square it with a sociological term since it isn't a term. The name of the math symbol is the Inequality symbol, and that was the answer I couldn't pull out and for which Alec should have gotten credit.
idearat wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:43 pm
I was so sure I had said "who is" I was waiting to watch today, only to be disappointed. This was likely a case of burning up brain cycles on the wrong thing. My head had me pondering whether to pronounce it "Thor" knowing I'd be Ok, or "Tor" and be a little pedantic. Wasting my brain on that I skipped over the basics.

Sorry idearat that you got such a stanky draw for the boards. Good get on the Manx cat. Bummer about the DQ on Thor, but it was a good get that the other two were afraid of. I hope you had a wonderful experience and at least got a checkoff on the bucket list.
Question if you don't mind: Did Johnny announce you in the studio live? I think I heard that he was dubbing them in at one time, either due to Covid or health. I'm hoping to crash a taping next week and just curious.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I got this right as the math clue is very straightforward but it's a bizarre construction of a clue. First of all if you're gonna use this clue the category shouldn't be symbols, the category should be something like "math and sociology" or similar, referencing the same phrase being used in two different realms. Calling it symbols but then you have to name a symbol in math that represents some words that vaguely are associated with this other completely unrelated thing...

I think "inequality" probably should have been accepted and is possibly even a better response! Whether you rotate the V 90 degrees left or right, it's representing less than or greater than, both of which are inequality symbols. I'm not sure what in the clue implies that you had to pick just one. And certainly anyone who has ever felt "less than" is by definition feeling "inequality". I like inequality so much better as an answer for the second part of the clue because it's a noun. I can see with some google searches that "less than" is something used nowadays, see links below, but it's such a peculiar phrase with presumably an implied direct object one could fill in the blank, it's hard to claim this FJ clue is factually pinned.

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/ ... mbarrassed

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dic ... /less-than

I had an easier time finding the phrase on dictionary sites than I did in news articles. Where exactly are people using this, I wonder?
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:46 am Question if you don't mind: Did Johnny announce you in the studio live? I think I heard that he was dubbing them in at one time, either due to Covid or health. I'm hoping to crash a taping next week and just curious.
No Johnny in the studio. He recorded it later. I was excited on Thursday to hear him do the announcement of upcoming players.
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:56 pm \Kipling wrote Kon-Tiki?
My guess was she jumped too quickly toward Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Maybe they sent the subs in off the bench to do the writing while the starting team is working on the Masters boards? And I'm pretty sure Ken didn't write that FJ clunker.

Too bad they couldn't have just stopped after the J! round, Michael. DJ was not kind to you. I hope you enjoyed despite the outcome. It is a thrill just being up there. And BTW, your internal debate over the pronunciation of "Thor" is yet another reason to skip the first name unless it's required.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Poll request for “I have heard of the term ‘less than’ as used in Friday’s FJ”.
davey

Post by davey »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:25 am I got this right as the math clue is very straightforward but it's a bizarre construction of a clue. First of all if you're gonna use this clue the category shouldn't be symbols, the category should be something like "math and sociology" or similar, referencing the same phrase being used in two different realms. Calling it symbols but then you have to name a symbol in math that represents some words that vaguely are associated with this other completely unrelated thing...

I think "inequality" probably should have been accepted and is possibly even a better response! Whether you rotate the V 90 degrees left or right, it's representing less than or greater than, both of which are inequality symbols. I'm not sure what in the clue implies that you had to pick just one. And certainly anyone who has ever felt "less than" is by definition feeling "inequality". I like inequality so much better as an answer for the second part of the clue because it's a noun. I can see with some google searches that "less than" is something used nowadays, see links below, but it's such a peculiar phrase with presumably an implied direct object one could fill in the blank, it's hard to claim this FJ clue is factually pinned.

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/ ... mbarrassed

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dic ... /less-than

I had an easier time finding the phrase on dictionary sites than I did in news articles. Where exactly are people using this, I wonder?
I agree with you, it's a very specific use that doesn't seem widespread. I had to dig to find examples-
see p. 3 of this document-
https://www.acteonline.org/wp-content/u ... s-ACTE.pdf

Would Jimmy Carter's decency be considered 'woke' by today's standards?
The Tennessean Online (Tennessee)
March 24, 2023
Our country struggles with defining "woke."
"Woke" to me is being aware of how social constructs affect people in every-day life, especially, those who have been treated less than, such as, people who are Black, LGBTQ+ or from other marginalized groups.

but it has hit the mainstream-
“There is nothing in my soul that would ever want to harm anybody, make you [the viewers] feel less than, not seen, belittled and in any way marginalized.”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235293449/
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Said Wellesley instead of Smith.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Austin Powers wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:48 pm Whoever wrote that FJ should be feeling “less than.“
Agreed. That's a Yugo FJ if I've ever seen one...or maybe a Trabant since that was used in a clue recently.

On another topic, I thought there was a slim chance they'd reverse the ruling and take Alec's "pal and pan" for a buddy and a labyrinth.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:55 pm On another topic, I thought there was a slim chance they'd reverse the ruling and take Alec's "pal and pan" for a buddy and a labyrinth.
I hated that clue. A “mate” is “a close buddy”? Maybe in England.

I also thought they might have accepted powwow for the clue about a meeting, but looking at it again I understand why they didn’t.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:31 pm What a train wreck of a game, capped off with a dopey final clue. Count me as another 'solve with zero confidence'.
Hugo Z wrote: Couldn't it also have been "greater than"?
That was the other choice. It was a coin flip until you applied the language of the clue to determine which one was correct.
I guess I was trying to make the (overly-subtle?) point that it was a bad idea to base a correct response on what a segment of the population is presumed to be feeling.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

What a weird final.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan