Monday, March 27, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 27, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Monday, March 27, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box score
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHEMICAL NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The name of this pungent gaseous compound is ultimately derived from the top god of the ancient Egyptians

Tamara Ghattas: 7800-6201=1599
Nicole Rudolph: 16800-0=16800 (New Champ)
Kevin Manning: 7000+801=7801

Correct response:
Spoiler
ammonia (Tamara – ozone) (Nicole – radon)

Daily Doubles
Kevin: 1000-1000
Tamara: 11600-5000
Nicole: 12600+3000

Coryats
Tamara: 12800
Nicole: 15400
Kevin: 8000

Combined: 36,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Tamara: 2400
Nicole: 5800
Kevin: 3000
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Ammonia, amen, and Tutanhkamun are all etymologically related.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The players were 2/6 on wagering clues with 0/2, 1/2 and 1/2 to keep totals down while 36,200 combined Coryat is not awful. Best of all, we saw 61 clues this time.

The caricatures were better than guess reader categories and quicker. A surprising talent for drawing caricatures is comedian and host Jeff Dye who gets to use some of his work in the game show about identifying celebrities, Who the Bleep is That?

The FJ! clue had me needing the think time to figure it out. First, I was on a sulfur detour. After rereading the clue I picked up that I needed a compound and not an element. A quick brainstorm of Egypt names had me missing the key one while going back to the science angle made it all click.

Kevin was $1400 of making his sole solve work for more than 2nd place while Nicole's 12600+3000 against 7400 & 5000 worked out well enough for her on DD3.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash: fender, Eiffel DD, Ready Player One,
Nunavut DD, Kayak Island, Benjamin

betting: :D :D :D :(
Chemistry & Mythology are usually two of my strong categories, but couldn't put it together today.
tried Osiris, Horus & Set without getting anywhere. Answered methane just to have something.
Maybe I woulda got to the correct one, but needed much more than 30 seconds.
OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

Went with thinking about Egyptian god names for about half of the clue time, with Ra really sticking in my brain, then gave up and went for compound gas names. The correct one came to me first and it seemed like a decent guess, so I went with that...and then realized the god in the clue shortly after and went "Ohhhh...ugh, of course!"

BARELY got the $400 Number "One" Movie in time, and yet it was my favorite movie as a kid. Ah well.
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I don't think the negative on RV was fair. I know many people who refer to their trailers as RVs.

Possible appearance of the innominate situation. Both Tamara and Kevin needed to prevent a runaway. If one of them had stayed clam, maybe they would have made it. By both chasing the end of double jeopardy, they each kept the other from making it.

For the duet partner of Tammy Wynette, would they have accepted "Who is Jones?"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

OrchidEntity wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:14 pm BARELY got the $400 Number "One" Movie in time, and yet it was my favorite movie as a kid. Ah well.
I didn't get it and felt silly. I got stuck by "tail" and immediately thought of An American Tail. Animated, but not Disney and no "one". That was enough to sidetrack me long enough.
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Kevin was $1400 of making his sole solve work for more than 2nd place while Nicole's 12600+3000 against 7400 & 5000 worked out well enough for her on DD3.
So, if Kevin gets his DD, he would have had enough to win. That is unless Nicole padded her DD3 wager by more than 1200.

Had to guess Methane because I don't know chit about Egyptian gods.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Don’t know why they wouldn’t take just Jones. George had already been given in the answer.

He lived in my hometown for a few years in the 1970s. I’ve heard stories about him, most of which involved him drinking a lot of alcohol.

I didn’t realize she had a lock until the very end of FJ. I also said radon.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Had Ra immediately, then spent 30 seconds trying to come up with something that fit. Just after the music ended, I expanded it to Amon-Ra...
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

For the Calvin and Hobbes guy, I'd have been torn among Wat(t)erson, Wat(t)erton, Wat(t)erston, and possibly others.

Had they wanted to TOM up the kayak clue, they might have asked for the island's "name, man" (in quotes, just so).

If they were not in fact recycling that Tony the Tiger bit, they wasted good FJ material on a midboard clue.

Tough miss with "metonymy" but a miss, I suppose.
I'm smart and I want respect.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I got derailed by the "noxious" term and went for maximum stank. Methyl mercaptan is the only stinky one I can name, and I don't think there was a Pharaoh Mercaptannamon. I could not think of any gasses with common names. Ammonia seems like a real name, just as much as water. This was a very nice clue, and I expect the boardies will hit 70+%.

It's always funny when contestants guess random stabs based on buzzwords instead of content. Mudflaps was semi-cromulent, but I don't think bumpers and rims defend against mud. While I'm here in LA, I'm car shopping for a midsize SUV but can't help doing the hillbilly tourist thing: Notice the absence of mudflaps, so, sadly, these vehicles will not do :lol: :
Spoiler

Category: FIGURES OF SPEECH: Saying "That went well" after a disaster is an example of the verbal type of this:

I said sarcasm. I see irony as a much more nuanced term associated with fate, karma, schadenfreude, etc.. But I may be being sarcastic.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

floridagator wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:33 pm For the duet partner of Tammy Wynette, would they have accepted "Who is Jones?"
/quote]

They should. They didn't seem to have any trouble knowing the first caricature wasn't Erasmus Darwin.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:33 pm Possible appearance of the innominate situation. Both Tamara and Kevin needed to prevent a runaway. If one of them had stayed clam, maybe they would have made it. By both chasing the end of double jeopardy, they each kept the other from making it.
If they each could have broken the lock, then neither one would have needed to stay clam for the sake of the other one getting to the 50% mark. That was the case immediately after DD3: if they had split the remaining $3,600 (5 $400s, 2 $800s) any way, they would have been in an F < S + T situation, in which case a) it's not a lock and b) third place can win on a sole get. Nicole's $800 get ended the chance of that, from which point only Tamara could break the lock (presuming Nicole would neg fewer than three times on the five clues remaining, which were all in the top row), and Kevin's eventual sole get was thenceforth guaranteed to earn him no better than second place.

I thought of Ra (the god, not the elemental symbol) and immediately went to radon, which I knew wasn't a compound and which I was pretty sure was odorless. So I attacked the "pungent" portion and immediately came up with ammonia, which was easy to make fit everything else.
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:31 am Category: FIGURES OF SPEECH: Saying "That went well" after a disaster is an example of the verbal type of this:

I said sarcasm. I see irony as a much more nuanced term associated with fate, karma, schadenfreude, etc.. But I may be being sarcastic.
The clue specified "the verbal type"; sarcasm is verbal irony. I'd reject sarcasm because "verbal sarcasm" isn't a term.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I briefly went down the same Ra=Radon path as Nicole, but knew radon wasn't a compound. I said ether.