Tuesday, March 28, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 28, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Tuesday, March 28, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box score
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TRANSPORTATION USA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This public agency runs the USA’s busiest bus terminal, opened in 1950 for commuters awed by its polished steel & stone

Nicole Rudolph: 9600-1201=8399
Mara Lasko: 4200+4000=8200
Lisa Sriken: 5400+4201=9601 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
the Port Authority (Nicole – the MTA)

Daily Doubles
Lisa: 600-1000
Nicole: 8200-3000
Lisa: 4400+1800

Coryats
Nicole: 12600
Mara: 4200
Lisa: 6200

Combined: 23,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Nicole: 5800
Mara: 3400
Lisa: 2800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ken made it through the episode without a Mayim reference even though Mara had a somewhat look-alike aspect to the other host.

After 3 clues each player was on the board for a 200-400-600 scoreboard that probably has not happened often to line up that way.

On Master Minds yesterday the last Q of the ep. gave 2 of the 3 from the First Triumvirate and wanted the third. It was funny to see the First Triumvirate come up today to give two and want a different third name.

MTA will be a poll choice since it's come up three times out of five responses when including my miss. It was all I had to write even though I associated it with Massachusetts due to the "M.T.A." song.

He may ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston

During think time I was trying to recall something from NY I've filled in for crossword puzzles and later Googled it to come up with the IRT.

Of course, I've seen enough TV shows and movies to have heard of the correct response. It you had asked me what they did I would have said shipping goods along the waterfront, though.

Nicole from Williston Park might have some explaining to do to people she knows and penalty was a rough one for it to have cost her the game.

Lisa added "please clap" to her response and naturally the audience complied. Points for creativity as I can't recall seeing that add-on before.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

Spoiler
"New York Port Authority"
Judges? --Bob
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bob78164 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:30 pm
Spoiler
Judges? --Bob
Tough one. I've heard the rule explained as "extra information cannot be wrong". Here, the extra information is incomplete, but not incorrect. Also, there does not appear to be a distinct transit organization by this name. I'd give it.

Note also the soul band by this name, which took its name from the structure referenced in the clue.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Double digit W and double digit TS: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7788

We're lucky only one clue was unplayed. I'm counting the unseen TV clue as a get for me since I had the four played plus the J6 one right.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash: Point Barrow, respiration DD (speech doesn't start with "R"! :lol: ),
encyclical DD, trochee, Veracruz, Trappists,

had Peppermint Patty Murphy instead of Peppermint Patty Murray :oops:

betting: :D :D :D :x

not a New Yorker, tried INS, thinking it had to do with the Statue of Liberty.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I guess this FJ was fair since all 3 contestants are Northeasterners. Zero chance for this Southern country boy.
Last edited by BrigadierSolo13 on Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

Really fun game to watch in spite of the wrong answer/TS count. Admittedly, Lisa had the majority of the negs, and her expressiveness may not be for everyone, but I liked her a lot. Anyone who dislikes her to the point of petty gossip and sending hate mail: I beseech you to reconsider your life choices.

Getting two DDs out of three is a good day for me. Words From Greek & Latin definitely wasn't my best category.

Nicole certainly looked pained with the FJ miss. I'm a bit sad to see her go, but I give props to her sense of style (and the same goes to Mara). If she happens to drop by here, I suggest Marquee Mauve for her rank.
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:30 pm I guess this FJ was fair since all 3 contestants are Northeasterners. Zero chance for this southern country boy.
I put Greyhound just to have something bus-related. Northwest denizen here.
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:46 pm
Spoiler
Judges? --Bob
Tough one. I've heard the rule explained as "extra information cannot be wrong". Here, the extra information is incomplete, but not incorrect. Also, there does not appear to be a distinct transit organization by this name. I'd give it.

Note also the soul band by this name, which took its name from the structure referenced in the clue.
I think the technically correct name would be
Spoiler
'the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey'.
I'd be disinclined to accept the proposed answer, as it adds information that makes it only partially correct. I am not the judges, though.

I know the song references MTA, and they call their pass the Charlie Card because of it, but I lived in Boston for several years, and I have always remembered the name as MBTA.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

OrchidEntity wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:38 pm I put Greyhound just to have something bus-related
I thought it might have been mentioned in the 2021 current events thread, but I can't find it, and even if it is, it may be worth repeating that Greyhound is owned by Munich-based FlixBus.
OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:38 pm I thought it might have been mentioned in the 2021 current events thread, but I can't find it, and even if it is, it may be worth repeating that Greyhound is owned by Munich-based FlixBus.
The more you know! Thanks much.
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

From the Current Events thread…
Bamaman wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:55 pm Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) is the new Senate president pro tem, the first woman to hold the largely ceremonial position. She is currently second in line of succession until a House speaker is chosen.
Mara would have long regretted holding back $200 if Lisa had missed FJ.

The guy who wanted more Hall and Oates got his wish today.

I had the NY Transit Authority.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Lisa was hilarious. Glad she'll play again. "Watch out, boy, she'll chew you up!"
Leander

Post by Leander »

I grew up in suburban NJ and often traveled through the bus terminal. I’d think this would be almost an impossible FJ for someone who had not spent a lot of time in the NY metro area. In fact, I almost thought this too obscure to be the right answer.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Spoiler
Judges? --Bob
Sorry, I'm leaning to 'no', since if you have the NY in there, then you need the NJ as well. And no, it's not shiny and new anymore.

I was surprised one of the New Yorkers didn't come up with it (which is distinct from not knowing it).

Lisa was certainly quite expressive. She was having fun up there.

For future reference, the 3 companies that made up the New York subway system are the IRT, IND, and BMT (whence the sandwich). Those names are still in use as identifiers on individual lines.
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

Spoiler
Judges? --Bob
It is the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
I lived in Williston Park for 10 years. It is western Nassau County, just over the Queens line, so very much in the NYC metro commuting area.