Wednesday, March 29, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, March 29, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

Given the sheer earliness of the Final Jeopardy clue, I got a who else could it be feeling about Washington Irving.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:08 pm
OrchidEntity wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:11 pm Lisa's may have been a math goof, at least.
What's your thinking there? You think she intended to wager $2 less so that she wouldn't fall below Iris's $0 bet?
That's what I assumed. Iris's bet is harder to defend since she really should wager less than $6800. And, yup, early 19th C NYC. WECIB?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:59 pm Given the sheer earliness of the Final Jeopardy clue, I got a who else could it be feeling about Washington Irving.
Not that I've seen him guessed anywhere, but would J.F. Cooper thinking Cooperstown is in NY be a terrible stab in the dark.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Lisa is very funny and a joy to watch, and I get that people freeze up, but I can’t imagine going into FJ in first place without a lock and spending my think time looking for a laugh instead of naming an author. Any author. Say Twain.

I am rather amazed it was a triple stumper.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Got FJ in part from a bio I saw on the YouTube channel Write Like . It has several videos (of varying length and quality) on novelists and poets, a good resource if you're looking to review specific authors.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Jordan's wager: fine. Enough to win on a sole get if Lisa covers and Iris overwagers by enough. I don't mind the amount he left on the table, although if Iris had also had the idea of a "my score rounded down" bet, she would have landed at $200 also and taken second place all the same, so the only modification I'd suggest for him would be to shave off a dollar.

Iris's wager: it did the job of staying ahead of Lisa if Lisa covered and they both missed, which would have normally won this game as it played out. It had the unfortunate side effect of leaving Jordan the opportunity to overtake her, but it also beats Lisa on a double get if Lisa bets to force Iris to get FJ right to win, and there wasn't a wager that could achieve both that and keeping Jordan locked out. edit: I got my math wrong. Iris was just barely in four-fifths territory, in which it is a viable strategy to bet double your deficit to first in order to beat the wager Lisa was attempting. I thought Iris had done this, but she left too large a space between her minimum and what Lisa's minimum would have been with a cover—she needed a wager from $8,401 to $8,800, and her $8,200 would have fallen $201 short of a double-get, come-from-behind victory.

Lisa's wager: I suspect, as has been said, that Lisa was trying to protect her lead over Iris as it stood, but tacked on a single dollar to the difference rather than subtracting one. In light of this mistake, she's lucky Iris didn't bet $0; in light of her strategy, she's lucky Iris didn't get it right, which would have guaranteed Lisa a loss regardless of her FJ response. Whatever your feelings about non-cover wagers from first place, it saved Lisa the game in this case.
Last edited by seaborgium on Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

nserven wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:06 pm Lisa is very funny and a joy to watch, and I get that people freeze up, but I can’t imagine going into FJ in first place without a lock and spending my think time looking for a laugh instead of naming an author. Any author. Say Twain.

You can prep a joke answer in advance; it's not improv.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Golf

Post by Golf »

Lisa Sriken: 21400-4201=17199 (2x = $26,800)
Jordan Davis: 5200-5000=200
Iris Masucci: 17200-8200=9000
Obviously Lisa was going for 17201 on a miss so she should have wagered 4199. It's a valid strategy although you might have to live with the fact that you were leading going into FJ, got it correct, and lost.

Iris apparently had no strategy with that wager as has already been said allows Jordan to have a chance which he should never have.

It would be interesting to model Lisa's winning chances wagering 0 vs. 4199. Would also be interesting to model Iris' winning chances wagering 0 vs 4201(the min to pass a 0 wager by Lisa) vs 6799(the max to lock out Jordan).

From a metagame point of view, in this situation I would never wager 0 from Iris' position.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:23 pm
floridagator wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:59 pm Given the sheer earliness of the Final Jeopardy clue, I got a who else could it be feeling about Washington Irving.
Not that I've seen him guessed anywhere, but would J.F. Cooper thinking Cooperstown is in NY be a terrible stab in the dark.
He was only 18 in 1807. He didn't break out as a writer until 1821. Guessing Cooper would be less laughable than guessing somebody who wasn't even born in 1807, but it would be equally incorrect. No, the clue was calling for somebody who was already established as a writer in 1807.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Golf wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:32 am Iris apparently had no strategy with that wager as has already been said allows Jordan to have a chance which he should never have.
I was in the middle of responding at length when I realized I messed up my math with regard to Iris's bet in my previous post, and her wager wasn't as good as I'd initially thought. Nevertheless, it wasn't a wager devoid of strategy—I think she stayed above $8,400 on purpose, which is better than a lot of players do from second place. (My other defense was that she would have beaten Lisa on a double get, but that's not the case, even if Lisa had bet $2 less.)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I got tongue tied on "hejira". I knew it was Muhammad's flight and the title of a Joni Mitchell album, but it didn't come.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:03 am
nserven wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:06 pm Lisa is very funny and a joy to watch, and I get that people freeze up, but I can’t imagine going into FJ in first place without a lock and spending my think time looking for a laugh instead of naming an author. Any author. Say Twain.

You can prep a joke answer in advance; it's not improv.
I used to do that all the time with Hollywood Squares. If I had no clue, I'd answer "Steve Guttenberg" to every question just for the laugh.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I've been impressed with Lisa's gets on Sports clues, save for not knowing Gordie Howe didn't play for the Bruins. Apparently, she's somewhat of a sports geek.
Iris' strength in this game was the ability to stay clam.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:23 pm
He did cross my mind and with this being Opening Day (just now watched it) it’s possible. But I thought he was too young for 1807.

I got it right but was worried he was dead by then. Turns out he was only 24. Not sure why I thought he was older.