LL Season 97

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: LL Season 97

Post by alietr »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:59 am
alietr wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:43 am …I got so hung up on remembering 'Brigadier' that I forgot to put 'General' in my answer and got dinged.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:53 am … missing the general by only writing brigadier.
+1
At least on the Facebook group, it sounds like it was a pretty common error.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You were wrong but I’ve seen him accept answers flimsier than that.
mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mrparadise »

alietr wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:25 pm
alietr wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:43 am …I got so hung up on remembering 'Brigadier' that I forgot to put 'General' in my answer and got dinged.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:53 am … missing the general by only writing brigadier.
+1
Me too. Why it's a brigadier, of course. I immediately regretted forgetting to add general but still thought I might get away with it. Not that it made any difference, as my first three opponents are 17 for 18 and I'm dead last in my B rundle. Doesn't seem right.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Well aren't I popular all of a sudden 8-)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

My first three matches, I'm 0-0-3. My scores have been 5(4)-4(4), 4(3)-4(4), and 4(4)-4(4).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mrparadise wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:54 pm
alietr wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:25 pm
+1
Me too. Why it's a brigadier, of course. I immediately regretted forgetting to add general but still thought I might get away with it. Not that it made any difference, as my first three opponents are 17 for 18 and I'm dead last in my B rundle. Doesn't seem right.
Me, Four. I've known this rank since I was seven years old because of the ancient section in our encyclopedia set. I always thought it was the coolest sounding of them all. This cost me a win and gave me a loss. I've frittered away a clue a day so far but landed one guess and several near misses.

Two I gained: My wife just put some leftover noodles and leftover ground beef together recently and declared she was making beef stroganoff when she got the sour cream out. I would have missed it without that coincidental learning opportunity.
I picked KISS for the band just out of a hunch because I don't know any of their names. (Then I remembered Gene Simmons later).
But this Brigadier question, and my ill conceived decision to answer lipids instead of lipoproteins because my instinct is to KISS it when possible. If I'd thought more about the pin to the acronym I wouldn't have used the more general answer. I changed Paris to London and chose anise over licorice. TIL from Myron there is a marshmallow plant.
I will henceforth RTFQ before submitting. I hope ;)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:34 am Me, Four. I've known this rank since I was seven years old because of the ancient section in our encyclopedia set.
This sounds like me. I've known all the military ranks since early childhood courtesy of the World Book Encyclopedia set my family owned. I could never understand exactly what a warrant officer was, though. :D
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:20 pm My first three matches, I'm 0-0-3. My scores have been 5(4)-4(4), 4(3)-4(4), and 4(4)-4(4).
That would make you 1-0-2. Your first match was actually 5(4)-5(4). But don't worry; your streak is over.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Can't believe I only got -1- for Golden Arm while my opponent got it wrong. (Even a 3 wouldn't've have gotten me a win, but my pride would've taken it better...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Total WAG on "Golden Arm". If I've heard of it, I don't remember it, almost put "Bionic Arm".

Ended up with 5. Never knew about Ireland, had always thought they were independent through most of the 20th century. I was looking for small countries that Germany or Italy would have taken over in 1936 the got their freedom back in 1949, which means I was done for.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Sherm wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:21 pm Total WAG on "Golden Arm". If I've heard of it, I don't remember it, almost put "Bionic Arm".

Ended up with 5. Never knew about Ireland, had always thought they were independent through most of the 20th century. I was looking for small countries that Germany or Italy would have taken over in 1936 the got their freedom back in 1949, which means I was done for.
From the wording of the question, I thought that it was a former US territory that we were recognizing as a sovereign nation. I guessed the Phillipines, which it turns out declared independence in 1946. Close, but no cigar.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:36 pm
Sherm wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:21 pm Total WAG on "Golden Arm". If I've heard of it, I don't remember it, almost put "Bionic Arm".

From the wording of the question, I thought that it was a former US territory that we were recognizing as a sovereign nation. I guessed the Phillipines, which it turns out declared independence in 1946. Close, but no cigar.
Yeah, I was kind of in that camp, too, but ultimately I decided on Taiwan, thinking that might have been when the U.S. officially acknowledging their independence from mainland China. Unfortunately it's not only wrong, but the official name is the Republic of China. I was also vaguely thinking of the name change from Formosa to Taiwan.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I won on MD4, 4(3)-3(2), to notch my first win ever in "C" and temporarily moving out of last place in my rundle, to #21. Still lead the rundle in MPD at -13 (or is it more correct to say I'm in last place in that category?).
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:39 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:34 am Me, Four. I've known this rank since I was seven years old because of the ancient section in our encyclopedia set.
This sounds like me. I've known all the military ranks since early childhood courtesy of the World Book Encyclopedia set my family owned. I could never understand exactly what a warrant officer was, though. :D
Wikipedia has interesting discussions on the origins and current use of the rank.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrant_officer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrant_o ... ed_States)

US Navy and US Army still use warrant officers, though they started being phased out in the USAF when the "supergrade" enlisted ranks (E-8 and E-9) were created in 1958. The last USAF warrant officer retired in 1980.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:30 am
econgator wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:20 pm My first three matches, I'm 0-0-3. My scores have been 5(4)-4(4), 4(3)-4(4), and 4(4)-4(4).
That would make you 1-0-2. Your first match was actually 5(4)-5(4). But don't worry; your streak is over.
True story.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I inexplicably switched from Sandy Koufax to Warren Spahn, turning a win into a loss.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

For the autocue question I tried to think of some sort of vehicular barbecue and ended up guessing air fryer.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:23 pm For the autocue question I tried to think of some sort of vehicular barbecue and ended up guessing air fryer.
My opponent gave me a 2 for it. :lol: on my way to a 8(4)-6(4) victory. I knew my S.F. status was going to outrank my .331 for CURRENT EVENTS and sure enough I got a 0 for the bank that I missed. Sports & entertainment stick with me so much better than recent business stuff soon after I hear about and read about it.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Don't know why interest in this thread seems to be waning but for those missing it let me recommend the LL message board. I'm just an occasional visitor there but today I greatly enjoyed the George Plimpton question thread, most especially the story that starts it off, and I bet you will too.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mrparadise wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:58 pm Don't know why interest in this thread seems to be waning but for those missing it let me recommend the LL message board. I'm just an occasional visitor there but today I greatly enjoyed the George Plimpton question thread, most especially the story that starts it off, and I bet you will too.
Yes, darn fine story there. And our own Reddpen got a good comment in.

With an 0-7-1 start, I just haven't had a lot to say this season.