LL Season 97

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: LL Season 97

Post by alietr »

Another loss in the books; still looking for my first win. Weirdest season ever so far. I have the seemingly anomalous situation of having close to the fewest UfPA, yet my DE is the lowest in the rundle at a brutal .444. I'm dead last, but 10th in TCA and 13th in TMP. CAA, though ... I'm 6 ahead of everyone else. Maybe I'll win unluckiest Llama.
ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ouachiouat »

And on the other end, I just won my 6th in a row to bring me to 6-2-1. My MPD is 0, since I got blown out on day 2 and most of my wins are very close. 4 of my 6 wins have been due to defense--we've had the same number correct, but I play better defense so pull out the win. Yesterday 4 people in the rundle got 3 right. My opponent and I were 2 of those 4, and I eked out a 3(3)-2(3) win. I may end up on the lluckiest llamas llist if this keeps up.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

And when I was looking back at last season's BWA nominees for the first time, I realized I had a nomination! MD1, Q2, nomination 6:

The first solo woman to receive a Tony award for playwriting was Wendy Wasserstein, who won the honor in 1989 for her Pulitzer-winning, multi-decade Chronicles of what woman (last name Holland)?

Oates (Comma)

Didn't place, but as far as I know, that's my first ever nomination!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mrparadise wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:58 pm Don't know why interest in this thread seems to be waning but for those missing it let me recommend the LL message board. I'm just an occasional visitor there but today I greatly enjoyed the George Plimpton question thread, most especially the story that starts it off, and I bet you will too.
While not as bad a season as alietr, not sure you want to hear me grouse either about my losing like the 'Canes either. My two wins have come from a forfeit and beering against a 5. (Tho I also have two ties on top of that.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:35 pm
mrparadise wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:58 pm Don't know why interest in this thread seems to be waning but for those missing it let me recommend the LL message board. I'm just an occasional visitor there but today I greatly enjoyed the George Plimpton question thread, most especially the story that starts it off, and I bet you will too.
Yes, darn fine story there. And our own Reddpen got a good comment in.

With an 0-7-1 start, I just haven't had a lot to say this season.
Thanks, Andy.
Fwiw, I think another LL msg board thread cited you as having the worst CAA stats in the entire league, so that's bound to turn around at some point. So far your opponents have missed a total of three questions in nine days, which is just ridiculous.

And then I went and forfeited on Friday, blowing a 931-match streak. (Someone else will have to craft the "69 short of 1000" joke.)
In and out of the pool four times
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

I am also REALLY struggling with Defence this season (.469) - 2nd in TCA in my rundle and right on the relegation line. This is a weird one. Yesterday my opponent had Movies as his highest category, so I gave the obvious Spicoli question a 0...and he got it wrong. I don't get it.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

mennoknight wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:49 am Yesterday my opponent had Movies as his highest category, so I gave the obvious Spicoli question a 0...and he got it wrong. I don't get it.
A similar thing happened to me yesterday, but at least it resulted in a 3-pointer for me on the question and a win (though I am in a D rundle).

I am kicking myself though for going the wrong way between Waylon Jennings and Glen Campbell. I suspected that Campbell passed away more recently (it was 2017), but I stuck with him largely because he was my first instinct.

I also had no idea that there was a card game called Klondike, but it was the only guess that I had for that question.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Is there some reason I should have heard of Cahokia?
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

econgator wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:30 am Is there some reason I should have heard of Cahokia?
I only knew it because we learned about it an introductory level American history class that I took in college that covered the period before the 1700s.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

StevenH wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:02 am I also had no idea that there was a card game called Klondike, but it was the only guess that I had for that question.
You may be more familiar with it as solitare, the variant that comes (came?) preinstalled with Windows
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:30 am Is there some reason I should have heard of Cahokia?
It did come up in the recent Midwest ML.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

StevenH wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:02 am
I am kicking myself though for going the wrong way between Waylon Jennings and Glen Campbell. I suspected that Campbell passed away more recently (it was 2017), but I stuck with him largely because he was my first instinct.
I knew Jennings from the Buddy Holly part of the clue. I had heard this story before. I've seen interviews with the man almost crying talking about it, and Jennings said it took years to get over it. Even blamed it on substance abuse issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waylon_Jennings

When Holly learned that his bandmates had given up their seats on the plane and had chosen to take the bus rather than fly, a friendly banter between Holly and Jennings ensued, and it would come back to haunt Jennings for decades to follow: Holly jokingly told Jennings, "Well, I hope your ol' bus freezes up!" Jennings jokingly replied, "Well, I hope your ol' plane crashes!"

Jennings has said that was the last thing he ever said to Buddy Holly.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yes, so you would have gotten a question right that only had a 25% get rate.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:44 pm
Yes, so you would have gotten a question right that only had a 25% get rate.
Well, just yes.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

My disaster of a season continues in Foundry C Div 1, although the 2(1)-2(1) tie on MD11 temporarily stopped the bleeding, ending a 6-match losing streak; I got Brothers Grimm correctly, while my opponent identified Clementine. Sadly, although I teach mathematics, I could not pull pyramid out of my head for the math question. I'm now 1-9-1 on the season, with 23 MP and a -30 MPD. My 23 TCA are about on pace for what I normally produce in a typical season to this point, but nearing the halfway point of the season, it really is going to take a miracle to avoid relegation.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Lost 6(5)-9(6). Only question I missed was Memento Mori. I knew the roots, but couldn't place the exact words--I put "memre mort."

My family is on vacation this week. What do I see a guy wearing on the sleeve of his hoodie at a shop I walked into? "Memento Mori." Dang it!
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

I had three 50 50 90 guesses yesterday: 107.9 vs. 109.9, Diaz vs. Juarez, and pineapple upside down cake vs. strawberry shortcake. The only one I that I went the right way on was pineapple upside down cake. But I probably shouldn't have second guessed myself on that one, since I really only associate Dole with bananas and pineapples. Luckily I still got a 3(2)-1(2) win.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Why is everybody always picking on me? I now have sole possession of 2nd place for CAA. 2nd out of 28,830. At least I somehow get a single win. The poor schlub (PetersonD) ahead of me is 0-11-1.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

StevenH wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:01 am I had three 50 50 90 guesses yesterday: 107.9 vs. 109.9
I don't want to single out StevenH here but this is something I also was thinking reading over the LL Message Boards. Do people under a certain age have no idea of the FM radio in your car? I mean, I'm 48 and this was an absolute slam dunk for me with no real thought at all. I suppose everyone these days is listening to their phones over bluetooth, but someone alive and in a car in like 2010 I would think be familiar with the FM radio bands and where it skips over to 88.1 right after 107.9. The fact that the get rate was under 60% was shocking to me. I gave this a 0 or 1 in both my matches.
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:32 am
StevenH wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:01 am I had three 50 50 90 guesses yesterday: 107.9 vs. 109.9
I don't want to single out StevenH here but this is something I also was thinking reading over the LL Message Boards. Do people under a certain age have no idea of the FM radio in your car? I mean, I'm 48 and this was an absolute slam dunk for me with no real thought at all. I suppose everyone these days is listening to their phones over bluetooth, but someone alive and in a car in like 2010 I would think be familiar with the FM radio bands and where it skips over to 88.1 right after 107.9. The fact that the get rate was under 60% was shocking to me. I gave this a 0 or 1 in both my matches.
I listened to plenty of FM radio in the car with my parents when I was a kid, and when I first started driving as a teenager. But the radio stations that I listened to here in Atlanta were Z93, 96 Rock, and 99x. They were the ones that played the music that I liked. I didn't pay much attention to the radio station numbers beyond that.