Masters Tuesday, May 23, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Masters Tuesday, May 23, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game 1 J! Round
Archivists

Re: Masters Tuesday, May 23, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game 1 DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Game 2 J! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Game 2 DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

Game 1:

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
REAL PEOPLE IN SHAKESPEARE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In Shakespeare this man is a rival of Prince Hal; in real life he was older than Hal's father

James Holzhauer 25200-908=24292 (3 points)
Mattea Roach 11200-314=10886 (1 point)
Matt Amodio 5200-5200=0 (0 points)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Who is Hotspur? (James - Who is Richard II) (Mattea - Who is Henry of Navarre?) (Matt - Who Louis X?)
Daily Doubles
James: 0+1000
James: 8400+8400
Matt: 6000-6000

Coryats:
James: 17600
Mattea: 11200
Matt: 11200

Combined: 40,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 6800
Mattea: 4000
Matt: 1600

Game 2:

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OPERA & HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Appropriately, the last performance at the Vienna State Opera before it was destroyed in 1945 by Allied bombs was this opera from 1876

Mattea Roach 6400-601=5799 (0 points)
Andrew He 16000-801=15199 (1 point)
Matt Amodio 32800-0=32800 (3 points)

Correct response:
Spoiler
What is Götterdämmerung? (Mattea - What is Lohengrin?) (Andrew - What is Marriage of Figaro?) (Matt - What an honor it is to share a stage with these wonderful people)
Daily Doubles
Andrew: 4400+4400
Matt: 6000+6000
Matt: 13200+13200

Coryats:
Mattea: 6400
Andrew: 12000
Matt: 16800

Combined: 35,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Mattea: 2800
Andrew: 8800
Matt: 4400

Final scores:
James 9 points
Matt 3 points
Mattea 2 points (50 correct responses)
Andrew 2 points (45 correct responses)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Matt really wanted that spot in the finals and he went out and got it. Congratulations to Matt, but this really illustrates the randomness of this tournament in terms of who finds and answers the Daily Doubles.

There is no better exemplar of the show's East Coast bias then these two games tonight which each contained a reference to a street intersection in New York City. When does the show ever use clues that refer to specific Street intersections in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Las Vegas?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:17 pm Matt really wanted that spot in the finals and he went out and got it. Congratulations to Matt, but this really illustrates the randomness of this tournament in terms of who finds and answers the Daily Doubles.

There is no better exemplar of the show's East Coast bias then these two games tonight which each contained a reference to a street intersection in New York City. When does the show ever use clues that refer to specific Street intersections in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Las Vegas?
Hollywood and Vine? Haight and Ashbury?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This is the first night where I haven't gotten at least 1 FJ correct.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Fair warning regarding finals tomorrow: I just noticed that in the Masters page on the show’s website that if the “Finals” tab is clicked on, it shows the scores at the end of the first game of tomorrow’s two-game total point affair, so if you don’t want to be spoiled on that, I recommend not clicking the finals tab.

EDIT: Looks like they not only took that down but I don’t see any of the matchups on that site anymore.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:17 pm Fair warning regarding finals tomorrow: I just noticed that in the Masters page on the show’s website that if the “Finals” tab is clicked on, it shows the scores at the end of the first game of tomorrow’s two-game total point affair, so if you don’t want to be spoiled on that, I recommend not clicking the finals tab.

EDIT: Looks like they not only took that down but I don’t see any of the matchups on that site anymore.
Yes, it looks like the show took all the matchups down while they figured out how to fix it.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I kind of like it that of the five 2022 ToC contestants in this, the two that didn't make the finals then are going to the finals now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

One category run for me. What a shock that it was '80s pop culture category.

No matter how good the players are there will always be some TS clues for the 4th podium such as the Black singer with picture. :roll:

The FJ! category had me not happy to see Shakespeare come up for the second time today. Thinking perhaps I needed an H name to go with Hal I wrote Henry V.

James did damage with the DDs but his Coryat was not far superior to Mattea & Matt the other finalists.

One category run for me in the 2nd game and of course it was CLASSIC CAR TV.

Sam knows how to project as the players had him do a "Bring it!" for the audience.

Tough break for Andrew losing out on a clues right tiebreaker against Mattea for the last spot in the finals. The ToC finalists are all eliminated.

The FJ! clue had me match Mattea in thinking it could be something Wagner. Right instinct, wrong work. My second guess would have been Parsifal on my way to getting skunked on FJ! clues just like the contestants.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Oh, I have to call a small foul on the BD&A clue for 400 points:

"'International' cocoa concoction for the unmarried Clue character portrayed by Colin Jost's wife"

The clue character is Miss Scarlet, and Colin Jost's wife is Scarlett Johansson. Technically it still works on a letter-for-letter basis, but usually B&A and BD&A responses have their overlaps in whole words. (I know exceptions to this involving a possessive apostrophe-s have occurred, in the vein of, say, "That Darn Cat's Cradle," but this one feels more like an oversight to me.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:17 pm There is no better exemplar of the show's East Coast bias then these two games tonight which each contained a reference to a street intersection in New York City.
This was an interesting error in light of your signature.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

econgator wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:59 pm
floridagator wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:17 pm Matt really wanted that spot in the finals and he went out and got it. Congratulations to Matt, but this really illustrates the randomness of this tournament in terms of who finds and answers the Daily Doubles.

Hollywood and Vine? Haight and Ashbury?
I will posit that those are famous intersections. The New York intersections used in these games are not in themselves famous but merely the addresses of the Frick and the planetarium.

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:52 am
floridagator wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:17 pm There is no better exemplar of the show's East Coast bias then these two games tonight which each contained a reference to a street intersection in New York City.
I'm completely embarrassed. I dictated the paragraph on my phone and went in and fixed the capitalization but didn't notice then.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
brick

Post by brick »

This hour of television was perfectly lovely. Watching it made me proud to be a fan of this show. Starting with James’ comments about Mattea, Mattea’s comments about the loss of their father, Ken’s response to that, asking Sam to chime in from the audience… and of course loads of great game play. I wasn’t thrilled with the concept of this particular tournament, but I have been enjoying quite a lot.
brick

Post by brick »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:52 am
Comedy GOLD Jerry! Gold!

I don’t disagree w floridagator though. I’ll go further: the Frick isn’t the kind of museum that potential contestants should concern themselves with at all, save its tony location.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Anybody harboring a suspicion that they were hoping to trick at least one person into guessing Falstaff on FJ #1?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I blurted out Owen Glendower. Which I feel probably should not be right. I was trying to say Hotspur and really was not having a good day.

Yet, technically, I am not sure it’s obviously wrong?

I mean he’s sort of a rival. And he is older than Henry IV. Not a super tight question.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:12 am The FJ! category had me not happy to see Shakespeare come up for the second time today. Thinking perhaps I needed an H name to go with Hal I wrote Henry V.
Closer than you may think. "Hotspur" was a nickname due to his aggressiveness in battle. Actual name was Henry Percy. My answer was "Harry Hotspur" so I'm counting it. Rewatched The Hollow Crown a couple of months ago so it was relatively fresh.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.