Wednesday, May 24, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Wednesday, May 24, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:04 pm 57 R (NHO Seth MacFarlane comedy.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

David Beckham a stumper?!?!? :shock:
Million Ways was no Ted...but the theme song was catchy and I'm 100% anti-C&W.

Re the player, I got Galaxy and Sparks flipped and couldn't come up with any D.B. WNBA player...
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:15 pm I always get this confused. When we name the school by its state and nothing else, that always means University of [State] rather than [State] State University? So "What is Alabama?" meant U. of Alabama, not Alabama State, and Ed was correctly credited?
Yes. 'University' is assumed. 'State' must be explicitly said.

So much for my WAG at her being Clara Wagner-Schumann. I'm sure radio station's brought it up but nowhere often enough for it to even sound familiar at the reveal.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I thought of Liszt, but I could name Clara Schumann so I went with that surname instead. Dang.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

That was a pretty rough game to watch.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Another Schumann here. (His spouse Clara had a well-known music career of her own.) I would call this fact about Liszt a trivia staple and it's a fact I know I have read many times (and I saw Lisztomania, referenced above, quite recently when it was on TCM) but I could not dig it up... :roll:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:15 pm When Lynn said "What is sarong?" I feel confident Ken would have known to respond "That's-a right!"
I was thinking the correct response would be, "Nothing at all. What's-a-wrong with YOU?"

I imagine most people would find this FJ a real puzzler. I may not know anything about popular music, but this was right up my alley. Go from Lohengrin to Wagner and just happen to know that Wagner's daughter Cosima married Franz Lizst. Boom, done.

Can't remember where I put my car keys, but this was instaget.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I'm looking forward to this week's poll. Curious to see if we get more Schumanns than Liszts.
And from yesterday's FJ...
...more Benedicts than Benedicks
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:22 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:15 pm When Lynn said "What is sarong?" I feel confident Ken would have known to respond "That's-a right!"
I was thinking the correct response would be, "Nothing at all. What's-a-wrong with YOU?"
Full marks for that as well!
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

I don't think I knew the Wagner/Liszt connection before the show, but I was able to pull the correct answer with the dates given (and surprised myself).

I'm never going to stop watching if a specific host is or isn't on that night, but Mayim's pacing (plus slow category calls from the contestants) make for a much tougher game to watch.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Bamaman wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:53 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:01 pm Whoever thought putting a video clue in an anagram category was a good idea must strike that idea from their brain and pretend it never existed.
That and we don’t need three wordplay categories in one day.
Having two wordplay categories in one day seems excessive.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Brahms for me; at least the right era, but it was a guess that I didn’t expect to be right.

On the DJ $400 Science category…carbohydrates are not essential nutrients. The definitive experiment was run in the 1920s, when famed Arctic explorer Vilhjalmur Stefansson and a colleague, Dr. Karsten Anderson, ate nothing but meat for an entire year, and were none the worse and arguably in better health at the end of the experiment. (They spent the first several weeks under close supervision, and the rest of the time their compliance was tracked by paid observers.) Prior to the controlled experiment, the two men had spent four years living off the land in the Arctic, eating only meat and fish, while performing studies for the American Museum of Natural History.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:06 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:38 pm The FJ! clue was pick a name (though not Italian or Russian) and I wrote Schumann.
That's a much better choice than the three we saw. Schumann was German, an exact contemporary of Wagner (both born in 1810) and they knew each other. Wagner was solidly 19th century--born and died in it. Haydn was mostly 18th century, living 9 years into the 19th. Toscanini and Rachmaninoff were born in the 19th century but didn't really get going until the 20th. Even knowing approximate dates makes all three of them less than great as guesses for this FJ.

That said, this was a rough clue. While more knowledge might have helped the contestants make better guesses, you pretty much have to know the fact in question to get this one. Liszt was Wagner's father-in-law (though only a year and a half older). I know this from reading CD booklets and the backs of LPs, but I'm not sure how much of a trivia chestnut it is.
I was pretty much at a loss. Finally settled on Mahler knowing it was almost definitely incorrect. I knew he was famously much in demand as a Wagnerian conductor, so much so that he had to take summers off so he could spend time as a composer. Unfortunately, he was born 10 years after the premiere date.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

It was a rough week of Final Jeopardys for me. To get this one right off the bat felt so good, having learned Wagner composed Lohengrin and knowing from years back Liszt was his father-in-law.