Friday, May 26, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Friday, May 26, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:33 am
Rackme32 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:06 am Never heard of the Jutes, but I new Denmark is on the Jutland Peninsula, So I guessed "Juts".

99% sure that'll get a big X from the judges here...
Same here. Heard of Jutland so I assumed the people (who I hadn’t heard of) were the Juts. I’m taking credit as you could pronounce it with a long u.
nserven wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:12 am I would have written "Juts." Pronounced with a long U, of course, like the French interjection Zut.
100% credit for Juts. Check the box with confidence when the poll shows up later today. Even if you pronounced it with a short u in your head. No one has to know.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

nserven wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:12 am I would have written "Juts." Pronounced with a long U, of course, like the French interjection Zut.

My petty nit is that deepfake is not a portmanteau, it's just a compound word. Portmanteau better works for blended words like smog and ginormous.
Smognormous?
Andromus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Andromus »

CyrusChan wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:11 am i can never recall the Heart of Darkness guy.
Same. My reaction was along the lines of "Um....Kurtz? No, that's the other guy."
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:38 pm For the clue "Escritor; one of them created what you're seeing," I said "researcher". Think they'd have given it to me? :mrgreen:
So you either haven't or have read Eisenberg's book
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:38 pm For the clue "Escritor; one of them created what you're seeing," I said "researcher". Think they'd have given it to me? :mrgreen:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:23 pm
I have, but it was Carlo Panno who taught me the difference between the two words for J! purposes.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

nserven wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:12 am My petty nit is that deepfake is not a portmanteau, it's just a compound word. Portmanteau better works for blended words like smog and ginormous.
Dodgson himself addressed the concept in his preface to The Hunting of the Snark, using the examples of "frumious" and of "Rilchiam" (combining the names "Richard" and "William".

As for the blending of facial images, it goes back at least as far as this record labelImage
DCFan1911
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by DCFan1911 »

davey wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:25 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:02 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:38 pm The 5 syllables is right. opus left an i out, but a good catch anyway.
For anyone who wondered, like me, what Jesse said for DD3, the closed captioner got that one right-
https://www.tumblr.com/anofficeaday/334 ... bsen-story
I suppose this is a meme that I'm the last one to learn about... :roll:
I recognized the reference immediately and pointed it out to my wife when he said it, I got a kick out of it. Part of me definitely wondered how many others picked up on it.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:14 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:33 am
Rackme32 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:06 am Never heard of the Jutes, but I new Denmark is on the Jutland Peninsula, So I guessed "Juts".

99% sure that'll get a big X from the judges here...
Same here. Heard of Jutland so I assumed the people (who I hadn’t heard of) were the Juts. I’m taking credit as you could pronounce it with a long u.
100% credit for Juts. Check the box with confidence when the poll shows up later today. Even if you pronounced it with a short u in your head. No one has to know.
I think this easily could have been negged had someone on the show said it. No way of knowing unless someone asks on the podcast next week, but it feels like a huge leap to say it’s 100% correct. There is no way of knowing how the current Jeopardy regime might treat that response. Remember Barry Gordy?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:02 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:14 pm 100% credit for Juts. Check the box with confidence when the poll shows up later today. Even if you pronounced it with a short u in your head. No one has to know.
I think this easily could have been negged had someone on the show said it. No way of knowing unless someone asks on the podcast next week, but it feels like a huge leap to say it’s 100% correct. There is no way of knowing how the current Jeopardy regime might treat that response. Remember Barry Gordy?
100% credit for Barry Gordy! They were 100% wrong. But yeah, you're definitely right that they could've done the same thing in this case as well. It would've been interesting to see. In the absence of such a ruling though, I assume we agree that it's fine for anyone who said "Juts" to check the box in the weekly poll? If you tell me to uncheck it, we might need to have a staring contest or something.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:31 am
jeff6286 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:02 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:14 pm 100% credit for Juts. Check the box with confidence when the poll shows up later today. Even if you pronounced it with a short u in your head. No one has to know.
100% credit for Barry Gordy! They were 100% wrong. But yeah, you're definitely right that they could've done the same thing in this case as well. It would've been interesting to see. In the absence of such a ruling though, I assume we agree that it's fine for anyone who said "Juts" to check the box in the weekly poll? If you tell me to uncheck it, we might need to have a staring contest or something.
I think knowing the Jutland Peninsula is named for Jutes, not the Juts, is a somewhat important distinction. So I think this is an interesting question that is somewhat shoved aside by your “100% correct” declaration. I am not certain what the right call should be. Stare all you want, birdbrain. ;)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Juts a second ... this is the War Room, there's no fighting in here!
davey

Post by davey »

Is there such a group - the Juts? My understanding of that old ruling is that (so says J!) Berry and Barry have different vowels pronounced differently AND there are people of that latter name. Since Jut and Jute refer to the same people - that's the premise of the clue, though from quick reading it's not 100% certain - and (though pronunciation differs) they use the same vowel, I don't think the precedent applies. Anyway, like opus, I disagree with that ruling because I don't believe most people pronounce those vowels differently in those words.

When someone here calls on Judges, aren't they asking for our opinion based on our best understanding of the rules? (Though it's true we see people ask about matters of fact instead of checking reference works themselves...) I'm open to contradictory evidence (for instance, if there IS a separate group called Juts, which I haven't found), but judges should have confidence in their rulings. Or if the matter is ambiguous, should explain why.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Andromus wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:22 pm
CyrusChan wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:11 am i can never recall the Heart of Darkness guy.
Same. My reaction was along the lines of "Um....Kurtz? No, that's the other guy."
hence, the heart of darkness guy.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

CyrusChan wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:20 pm
Andromus wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:22 pm
hence, the heart of darkness guy.
I was disappointed in the New York Times when the father of Swoosie Kurtz died. They gave his obit some conventional headline rather than "Mistah Kurtz, he dead".
I'm smart and I want respect.