Wednesday, May 31, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, May 31, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Here's a compilation of some of tonight's interesting rulings for those who want to review them:

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:55 pm Here's a compilation of some of tonight's interesting rulings for those who want to review them:
Thanks, Opus, for reminding me why I'm done with J!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If a guest reader is speaking softly, with a British accent, and music is playing in the background; they should put the clue on the screen.

Baseball for FJ.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Initially saw Geena Davis and thought, "oh, archery!" Then thought, wait, was there a sports franchise movie about archery back then? Well, wait, what the heck is a sports franchise movie? Can I think of a sports franchise? Oops, time's up.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That negative on beaches is an awfully close call. I am again moved to wonder why the BMS on Adams but not Harrison.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

(Andrew Lloyd Webber: I'm Andrew Lloyd Webber from the set of new Broadway show Bad Cinderella with a category about some of my previous successes on Broadway.)
Womp womp
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:24 pm I am again moved to wonder why the BMS on Adams but not Harrison.
Yeah, that makes zero sense.

Baseball for FJ. Wasn't ever going to make the archery connection.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Tonight's game had an excellent shot of the judges' table. Can you name all six?

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I cannot.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

AntmanB wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:29 pm I Love it when i get a Triple Stumper on a FJ.
Me too. And it seems to happen a lot lately, which I do NOT attribute to a sudden upsurge in my brain power.

In this case, as soon as I read this clue, I thought "Man, is that Prime, Grade-A negbait for softball!" I frankly would not have been surprised to see all three go for that.

I also recalled seeing something on the small screen about Davis's excellence in archery and attempt to make the Olympic team. Nice clue, this one.
DCFan1911
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by DCFan1911 »

mfc248 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:31 pm
da Doctah wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:14 pm I count two responses declared correct either prematurely or just flat out wrong today. There were two Presidents Harrison, and I didn't hear *either* first name or a BMS, and an "intranet" is not the same thing as an "internet". (I would have gladly accepted LAN instead.)
Not in a category titled 8-LETTER WORDS, I would hope. Personally, I heard "intranet" on that one.

As for "Harrison" — I heard something that sounded like part of "Henry," followed by Kyle stating "Harrison," and Mayim saying "yes, Harrison." I also thought that should have merited a BMS, and the contrast between that and the handling of "Adams" seven clues later was stark. The Archive records the response as "Henry Harrison"; I've submitted a correction suggestion to add "(William)".
I think the difference between the Adams and Harrison clues was how far apart their presidencies were, and the fact that the former were father/son while the latter were grandfather/grandson. In the case of the John/John Quincy Adams, John was still alive when John Quincy became president, while William Henry Harrison died when Benjamin Harrison was 7 years old and had been dead for 48 years when Benjamin Harrison became president.

I will say that this has definitely been applied inconsistently in recent seasons - the acceptance of "Manning" for Eli/Peyton Manning comes to mind - but there is enough of a difference between these two clues that I think it's justifiable in this instance. It's also consistent with how they handle presidents, given that they rarely BMS "Johnson" since the two presidents with that last name served a century apart. Thus, my guess is the span of time between the presidencies is why they accepted "Harrison" but BMS'd "Adams".
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mfc248 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:31 pm As for "Harrison" — I heard something that sounded like part of "Henry," followed by Kyle stating "Harrison," and Mayim saying "yes, Harrison." I also thought that should have merited a BMS, and the contrast between that and the handling of "Adams" seven clues later was stark. The Archive records the response as "Henry Harrison"; I've submitted a correction suggestion to add "(William)".
There isn't a J! Archive stylebook that I know of, but my understanding is that a parenthesis is included in the response to indicate when the host makes a remark augmenting the contestant's response.
DBear wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:06 pm
Thanks, Opus, for reminding me why I'm done with J!
What happened the first time you posted about this? I don't recall any questionable rulings that episode (Hannah Wilson game 1).
Last edited by seaborgium on Wed May 31, 2023 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jamie »

Beaches: I think it's lousy clue-writing when you have to guess the word form on a non-famous quote, but they did do everything they could to indicate they were looking for the singular. With the "is" in there, "the beaches" doesn't really work when you put the question and answer together. So I don't mind that ruling.

Intranet: Maybe it's a Canadian thing, but I hear Andrew saying the right word. I know I don't pronounce "internet" and "intranet" all that differently in everyday speech. Still, I don't think it would have been out of line for Mayim to have him repeat it, so he could do the exaggerated pronunciation.

Harrison: I hear him starting to say "Henry," and then correcting himself, so I would take his response as "Harrison," which should absolutely be BMSed. "Henry Harrison" would be an interesting case; after all, "Grover Cleveland" and "Calvin Coolidge" are the same middle-name-based formation, just (a lot) more commonly used. For that matter, they've taken just "Quincy Adams" (https://j-archive.com/showgameresponses ... incy+adams). I don't envy whoever has to research whether he was ever called "Henry Harrison," if it were to come to that.
DCFan1911 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:43 pm I think the difference between the Adams and Harrison clues was how far apart their presidencies were, and the fact that the former were father/son while the latter were grandfather/grandson. In the case of the John/John Quincy Adams, John was still alive when John Quincy became president, while William Henry Harrison died when Benjamin Harrison was 7 years old and had been dead for 48 years when Benjamin Harrison became president.

I will say that this has definitely been applied inconsistently in recent seasons - the acceptance of "Manning" for Eli/Peyton Manning comes to mind - but there is enough of a difference between these two clues that I think it's justifiable in this instance. It's also consistent with how they handle presidents, given that they rarely BMS "Johnson" since the two presidents with that last name served a century apart. Thus, my guess is the span of time between the presidencies is why they accepted "Harrison" but BMS'd "Adams".

I kind of agree; I just think they've resolved to do away with BMSs except where absolutely necessary. I would bet that you could get away with just saying "Adams" for John Adams, since the elder Adams stands more by himself. You can say the name Adams, and think of him, without thinking of his son, but any time anyone says John Quincy Adams, there's an implied, "no, not the more famous John Adams, the other one." In fact, they've taken this before, see https://j-archive.com/showgameresponses ... john+adams.) So, memo to future contestants: if you don't know, just say Adams, and if there's a BMS, always pick JQA.
Leander

Re: Wednesday, May 31, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)i

Post by Leander »

I heard intranet as well.

Speaking of pronunciation, I’m pretty sure Mayim pronounced “Edinburgh” with a hard G at the end, which is generally not how it is pronounced. She also said “Kent County”, which works for the US, but is not how counties are referred to in the UK - either County of Kent, or just Kent.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Franchise? Early 2010s? Sport? Twilight had that baseball scene, must be that!

Oof.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

jamie wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:44 pm Intranet: Maybe it's a Canadian thing, but I hear Andrew saying the right word. I know I don't pronounce "internet" and "intranet" all that differently in everyday speech. Still, I don't think it would have been out of line for Mayim to have him repeat it, so he could do the exaggerated pronunciation.
Similar issues arise for "emigrate/immigrate" in some dialects, and "aural/oral". Issues where one's usual manner of speech makes it hard to distinguish which of the two words is meant, and where constructs exist wherein both words appear in parallel contexts.
Harrison: I hear him starting to say "Henry," and then correcting himself, so I would take his response as "Harrison," which should absolutely be BMSed. "Henry Harrison" would be an interesting case; after all, "Grover Cleveland" and "Calvin Coolidge" are the same middle-name-based formation, just (a lot) more commonly used. For that matter, they've taken just "Quincy Adams" (https://j-archive.com/showgameresponses ... incy+adams). I don't envy whoever has to research whether he was ever called "Henry Harrison," if it were to come to that.
That was something I skipped before when I was trying to post from my phone. Yes, *you* (and most of us, I think) heard "Henry" but not the preceding "William", but we also didn't hear as far as I know the obligatory "Who is..."

Maybe the judges on-site *were* able to hear those parts but the mic that sent most of the response to broadcast didn't pick them up?
DCFan1911 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:43 pm I think the difference between the Adams and Harrison clues was how far apart their presidencies were, and the fact that the former were father/son while the latter were grandfather/grandson. In the case of the John/John Quincy Adams, John was still alive when John Quincy became president, while William Henry Harrison died when Benjamin Harrison was 7 years old and had been dead for 48 years when Benjamin Harrison became president.

I kind of agree; I just think they've resolved to do away with BMSs except where absolutely necessary. I would bet that you could get away with just saying "Adams" for John Adams, since the elder Adams stands more by himself. You can say the name Adams, and think of him, without thinking of his son, but any time anyone says John Quincy Adams, there's an implied, "no, not the more famous John Adams, the other one." In fact, they've taken this before, see https://j-archive.com/showgameresponses ... john+adams.) So, memo to future contestants: if you don't know, just say Adams, and if there's a BMS, always pick JQA.
But does that work for others? Which is "the more famous George Bush", or is it too soon to tell?
jamie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jamie »

da Doctah wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:52 am Harrison: I hear him starting to say "Henry," and then correcting himself, so I would take his response as "Harrison," which should absolutely be BMSed. "Henry Harrison" would be an interesting case; after all, "Grover Cleveland" and "Calvin Coolidge" are the same middle-name-based formation, just (a lot) more commonly used. For that matter, they've taken just "Quincy Adams" (https://j-archive.com/showgameresponses ... incy+adams). I don't envy whoever has to research whether he was ever called "Henry Harrison," if it were to come to that.
That was something I skipped before when I was trying to post from my phone. Yes, *you* (and most of us, I think) heard "Henry" but not the preceding "William", but we also didn't hear as far as I know the obligatory "Who is..."

Maybe the judges on-site *were* able to hear those parts but the mic that sent most of the response to broadcast didn't pick them up?
I heard the "who is..."
da Doctah wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:52 am But does that work for others? Which is "the more famous George Bush", or is it too soon to tell?
I vote Dubya; otherwise, the original wouldn't have been retconned into "George H.W. Bush." My impression is that since they're both identified by middle initials, those initials are always required, leaving "George Bush" itself kind of a skunked term. Exception here (https://j-archive.com/showgameresponses ... eorge+bush), but I guess the judges thought it was trivial knowledge that George W. Bush is, in fact, not dead.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

The questions in this game was great but for some reason my broadcast kept coming in the middle of the questions for the commercials for every commercial break except the end of double jeopardy. this does not usually happen but come on. did this happen to anyone else. and the recording actually was spewing rainbow sparks along with the glitched skipping (in 15 minute increments). at least I was able to watch it live the majority of the game. I am just mostly more disappointed about the wheel of Fortune after this was is affected since I was trying to see the solution to one of the puzzles for that show. also seeing the judges was cool. (even though I did not see that singing the game but who knows my broadcast was kookie anyhow.)
davey

Post by davey »

I like that this clue can be solved from going to the right film, or from thinking more about Geena Davis's own history. For most of the :30, I thought her name was a distractor - or that she's in a franchise I know nothing about (most of them). So I didn't get close... :x

https://seejane.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... s-full.pdf
DCFan1911
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by DCFan1911 »

jamie wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:15 am
da Doctah wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:52 am Harrison: I hear him starting to say "Henry," and then correcting himself, so I would take his response as "Harrison," which should absolutely be BMSed. "Henry Harrison" would be an interesting case; after all, "Grover Cleveland" and "Calvin Coolidge" are the same middle-name-based formation, just (a lot) more commonly used. For that matter, they've taken just "Quincy Adams" (https://j-archive.com/showgameresponses ... incy+adams). I don't envy whoever has to research whether he was ever called "Henry Harrison," if it were to come to that.

I heard the "who is..."
da Doctah wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:52 am But does that work for others? Which is "the more famous George Bush", or is it too soon to tell?
I vote Dubya; otherwise, the original wouldn't have been retconned into "George H.W. Bush." My impression is that since they're both identified by middle initials, those initials are always required, leaving "George Bush" itself kind of a skunked term. Exception here (https://j-archive.com/showgameresponses ... eorge+bush), but I guess the judges thought it was trivial knowledge that George W. Bush is, in fact, not dead.
I think for the Bushes it's also a matter of how close together their presidencies were - GWB entered the White House less than a decade after GHWB left it. Thus I can't too many instances where "Bush" would be an acceptable response to any clue - they'd nearly always BMS if you didn't offer the middle initial(s) (or said "George Bush, Sr." perhaps). And indeed, George W. Bush is alive and well, I just spoke with him a couple weeks ago and he's very spry for a man nearing his 77th birthday.