Wednesday, June 7, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Wednesday, June 7, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:42 pm I got Slov and ia at least.
Ditto
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:53 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:40 pm A ton of action for the 4th podium: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=8041
For weeks I was hoping you were going to make a remark about the show number being all 8's.
No mention for Game 7777 on June 5, 2018 either. Game 6666 on Sept 16, 2013 went similarly unremarked. Game 5555 on October 31, 2008 would've been discussed on the old board.

I guess at this point we're waiting for some time in 2028. If we miss that, there's a final chance, probably in 2033. After that, not happening in our lifetime.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Oy. That DJ was hard to watch. Instaget FJ.
da Doctah
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by da Doctah »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:34 pm 55 R (Couldn't get Drew Barrymore and missed the Bottom Two in Join the Club.)
I don't care if it was wrong, I'm just pleased to see someone besides me still remembers Diablo Cody.

(Now back to waiting for a clue to elicit "Who was Laura Nyro?")
davey

Post by davey »

Since it wasn't mentioned on the show or here yet, I feel bound to make sure everybody recognizes that the J! round was a tribute to Stephen Sondheim, naming six of his musicals as categories...Sad that the one clue mentioning him included MB's unmusical "three fourth" time... :roll: I'm sure others were just as annoyed by COMPANY $800: Yes, I'm pretty sure it was a macaron shop...

Croatia for me on FJ...
jamie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jamie »

I tracked down the "macaroon shop" referenced in COMPANY $800 and --

(Spoiler for June 1 show)
Spoiler
Anyone who objected to the judging on macaron v. macaroon may be irritated, but probably not surprised, to learn that it's not macaroons they sell. (https://vator.tv/news/2019-01-04-when-d ... arly-years)

At least the shop itself gets it right: https://www.instagram.com/chantalguillon/?hl=en
davey

Post by davey »

Maybe it's worth pointing out that the word macaroon is an anglicization of the French word macaron...the same way the French word ballon becomes balloon, and basson becomes bassoon...
jamie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jamie »

davey wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:51 am Maybe it's worth pointing out that the word macaroon is an anglicization of the French word macaron...the same way the French word ballon becomes balloon, and basson becomes bassoon...
And dragon becomes dragoon in English, but I'm still going to give them some side-eye if they accept "dragoon" for something that breathes fire and hoards gold. :)
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I was amazed DJ got as many clues uncovered as it did with all the misses and blank stares.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm not going to blame the contestants for this one. The writing was just ... off. There were a lot of clues where I knew the answer, but it was just taking a beat or two longer because of the way the clue was phrased. There were a lot of clues where I was just, "Huh?" Alex was wrong -- it's not the contestants, and it wasn't him; the clue writers are the stars of the show. When they don't do their work right, the show suffers.

My Kosman Koin came up Croatia, so a rare Geo miss for me. It looks like Croatia misses touching it by maybe 10 miles. But Slovenia clearly has a much longer border anyway. Shoulda woulda coulda.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

alietr wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:00 am I'm not going to blame the contestants for this one. The writing was just ... off. There were a lot of clues where I knew the answer, but it was just taking a beat or two longer because of the way the clue was phrased. There were a lot of clues where I was just, "Huh?" Alex was wrong -- it's not the contestants, and it wasn't him; the clue writers are the stars of the show. When they don't do their work right, the show suffers.

My Kosman Koin came up Croatia, so a rare Geo miss for me. It looks like Croatia misses touching it by maybe 10 miles. But Slovenia clearly has a much longer border anyway. Shoulda woulda coulda.
The questions in general seem to be oblique. It doesn’t help when they go in deep on bits of pop culture from the 90s or children’s literature that some people may not have any kind of life experience to associate with that stuff.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I loved the '90s kids category, but I can understand someone being frustrated by it. Super Mario 64 is one of my favorite video games of all time; it came out (along with the Nintendo 64) when I was in 5th grade, so I was in my video game playing prime. I can't say that I have ever heard the term "frosted tips," though.

I wasn't going to miss FJ. I distinctly remember having a test in my high school Latin class where my teacher gave us a bonus question where we would get one point extra for naming the six countries that border Italy in the modern day. I got 5 of the 6. The one that I didn't know? Slovenia. Props to the contestants for going 2 for 3 on this clue. Geography is one of my better categories, but I don’t think that I would have been able to get this one if I didn't already know this clue as a fact (well, I did have to make the judgement on the 1990 part) and had to map it out in my head.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

da Doctah wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:38 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:34 pm 55 R (Couldn't get Drew Barrymore and missed the Bottom Two in Join the Club.)
I don't care if it was wrong, I'm just pleased to see someone besides me still remembers Diablo Cody.
She's our local suburban Chicago kid made good. I thought that was a decent guess for that clue since "Whip It" and "Juno" feature the same lead.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

If anyone wants to join Jack Black for a 900 tutorial from Tony Hawk, here's your chance:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

squarekara wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:20 am
da Doctah wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:38 pm
She's our local suburban Chicago kid made good. I thought that was a decent guess for that clue since "Whip It" and "Juno" feature the same lead.
She was in a small online discussion group my wife was in, but apparently wasn't very involved.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Poll request for guessing a wrong former part of Yugoslavia.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

davey wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:51 am Maybe it's worth pointing out that the word macaroon is an anglicization of the French word macaron...the same way the French word ballon becomes balloon, and basson becomes bassoon...
And salon becomes saloon?

(BTW: is prostitution the opposite of constitution?
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

StevenH wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:11 am I distinctly remember having a test in my high school Latin class where my teacher gave us a bonus question where we would get one point extra for naming the six countries that border Italy in the modern day. I got 5 of the 6. The one that I didn't know? Slovenia.
I never had that question on a test in high school Latin, but if I had that would have been wrong anyway. It was 1974.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

i honest thought the borders were pretty simple. not much after Triese, but then you have to know Trieste.
davey

Post by davey »

da Doctah wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:59 pm
And salon becomes saloon?
yes, per the OED-
Etymology: French < salon (= Spanish salón , Portuguese salão ), < Italian salone , augmentative of sala hall: see sale n.1
Remarkably similar, I'd say, to the non-French macaroon...a degeneration, but at (rock) bottom the same concept.