Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Jonathan Corbblah's Cash Cab episode re-ran on GSN today.

His J! page says he won $1,500 but he actually won $1,400.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:31 pm Jonathan Corbblah's Cash Cab episode re-ran on GSN today.

His J! page says he won $1,500 but he actually won $1,400.
I'll trust your intel and change it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Super Password on Buzzr tonight had a contestant named Minna Rae Friedman. That was a distinctive enough name that I decided to google it. The first thing I found was a publicity photo she did after winning $10,000 on "The $20,000 Pyramid" in the late '70s; then I found articles from the early 2010s about her husband, in his 90s, getting his first disability payments from the VA for PTSD arising from his WWII service. I thought it was an interesting enough story to share here. https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-wor ... ii-vet-92/
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

It might be worth noting that Yogesh was allowed to play even though he has met Ken in the past. Or at least played trivia against him. There was some concern that the best trivia players wouldn’t be allowed on the show because they’ve all competed against each other/met each other and they’ve played against Ken but it appears that concern was unfounded. I’m glad that’s the case.

The Jeopardy website is updated and shows Troy Meyer playing on Thursday.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
DCFan1911
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by DCFan1911 »

This is a semifinals Trump Card $100,000 Tournament of Champions episode from 1991. One of the champions, Roberta Hyman, would appear on this S10 Jeopardy episode - https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5358.

Here's her profile on the archive - https://j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=10799. She won $17,500 on Trump Card in 1990/91 ($14,500 in her regular game appearance, plus $3,000 for winning her first round match in the tournament).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:05 am The Jeopardy website is updated and shows Troy Meyer playing on Thursday.
I think we have to conclude that the show was okay with the possibility of Troy and Yogesh facing off. Since the two contenders are picked at random Troy could have been selected for Monday's show (assuming all this week's shows were recorded on the same day as per usual practice).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DCFan1911 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:17 pm [video]
This is a semifinals Trump Card $100,000 Tournament of Champions episode from 1991. One of the champions, Roberta Hyman, would appear on this S10 Jeopardy episode - https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5358.

Here's her profile on the archive - https://j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=10799. She won $17,500 on Trump Card in 1990/91 ($14,500 in her regular game appearance, plus $3,000 for winning her first round match in the tournament).
Line added to her J! page.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:24 pm I think we have to conclude that the show was okay with the possibility of Troy and Yogesh facing off. Since the two contenders are picked at random Troy could have been selected for Monday's show (assuming all this week's shows were recorded on the same day as per usual practice).
I don't think this necessarily gives us confirmation of that. Contenders are not exactly picked 100% at random. Contenders are picked at random from among a pool of eligible contenders. It is possible that Troy could have arrived on his tape day with no information about who the returning champion would be, and was then, if and when awareness was raised of the potential conflict, placed in a holding pattern until Yogesh was out of competition, with the possibility of being held over until a later tape day (or never being called back--it has happened).

All speculation until someone pipes up with the skinny.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:29 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:24 pm I think we have to conclude that the show was okay with the possibility of Troy and Yogesh facing off. Since the two contenders are picked at random Troy could have been selected for Monday's show (assuming all this week's shows were recorded on the same day as per usual practice).
I don't think this necessarily gives us confirmation of that. Contenders are not exactly picked 100% at random. Contenders are picked at random from among a pool of eligible contenders. It is possible that Troy could have arrived on his tape day with no information about who the returning champion would be, and was then, if and when awareness was raised of the potential conflict, placed in a holding pattern until Yogesh was out of competition, with the possibility of being held over until a later tape day (or never being called back--it has happened).

All speculation until someone pipes up with the skinny.
I suppose you're right because Troy probably wouldn't have mentioned his connection with Yogesh beforehand. I recall they asked me if I knew any other J! contestants personally before my appearance, but Yogesh wouldn't have been a J! contestant at the point that occurred, so Troy wouldn't have listed him.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:40 pm I suppose you're right because Troy probably wouldn't have mentioned his connection with Yogesh beforehand. I recall they asked me if I knew any other J! contestants personally before my appearance, but Yogesh wouldn't have been a J! contestant at the point that occurred, so Troy wouldn't have listed him.
I think they also asked me to list people I knew were in the pool (or had auditioned), which I did.

Troy may or may not have known that Yogesh was in the pool and may or may not have listed Yogesh. Or vice-versa.

For my part, I could not have listed someone I only knew by a handle.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:00 am
Robert K S wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:10 am What did you think of Caan in Poodle Springs?
Haven't seen it. 1998 Jimmy Caan is closer to Marlowe as described in the books. 58 is close to the right age for when Chandler started writing the book (he never finished). And Caan has a reasonable amount of American hard-boiledness that never turns into machismo. He can look properly worried, and that's important. Marlowe is not one of these super-cool heroes who never breaks a sweat.

Unfortunately we long ago lost our chance to have the perfect onscreen Philip Marlowe. That would have been Harrison Ford in the 80s. We do get close, though, with the character of Rick Deckard in Blade Runner. The movie itself is quite faithful to the spirit of Philip K. Dick and the kinds of questions he explored. But the character of Rick Deckard, as portrayed by Ford, is not at all like the character Dick wrote. Dick's Deckard, like many of his main characters, is somewhat spineless. He's a semi-incompetent screw-up, in over his head and facing problems, many of them self-created, that he lacks the basic tools to deal with. The character note in Dick's novel is not that Deckard is divorced as he is in the movie (at least in the theatrical release where we got the helpful voice-over to baby us along). In the novel he's married and henpecked and doesn't know how to stand up to his wife. Ford's Rick Deckard is definitely in over his head, but he's not a screw-up and definitely not spineless. What he is is Philip Marlowe, transported to the 21st century. He's the man who goes down those mean streets without being himself mean. He is neither tarnished nor afraid. Well, ok, he's afraid (Marlowe was too) but he goes anyway.
The late Powers Boothe did pretty well as Marlowe in a mid-‘80s HBO Marlowe miniseries, based off of a few of Chandler’s short stories. And agree with you about Ford’s performance in Blade Runner. But, bizarrely enough, my favorite film Marlowe is Robert Mitchum in mid-‘70s adaptations of Farewell, My Lovely and The Big Sleep; he gets the attitude right in a way nobody else did. The worst was Elliot Gould in Altman’s butchering “adaptation” of The Long Goodbye; Altman should have just made his movie without any reference to Chandler’s novel, considering he fundamentally changed just about everything except some character names. The original is a lovely, suspenseful work, Chandler’s best and one of the best novels of the 20th century.

I hope this one isn’t as bad as Altman’s travesty, but that trailer…looks horrific.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

cthulhu wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:14 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:00 am
Robert K S wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:10 am What did you think of Caan in Poodle Springs?
Haven't seen it. 1998 Jimmy Caan is closer to Marlowe as described in the books. 58 is close to the right age for when Chandler started writing the book (he never finished). And Caan has a reasonable amount of American hard-boiledness that never turns into machismo. He can look properly worried, and that's important. Marlowe is not one of these super-cool heroes who never breaks a sweat.

Unfortunately we long ago lost our chance to have the perfect onscreen Philip Marlowe. That would have been Harrison Ford in the 80s. We do get close, though, with the character of Rick Deckard in Blade Runner. The movie itself is quite faithful to the spirit of Philip K. Dick and the kinds of questions he explored. But the character of Rick Deckard, as portrayed by Ford, is not at all like the character Dick wrote. Dick's Deckard, like many of his main characters, is somewhat spineless. He's a semi-incompetent screw-up, in over his head and facing problems, many of them self-created, that he lacks the basic tools to deal with. The character note in Dick's novel is not that Deckard is divorced as he is in the movie (at least in the theatrical release where we got the helpful voice-over to baby us along). In the novel he's married and henpecked and doesn't know how to stand up to his wife. Ford's Rick Deckard is definitely in over his head, but he's not a screw-up and definitely not spineless. What he is is Philip Marlowe, transported to the 21st century. He's the man who goes down those mean streets without being himself mean. He is neither tarnished nor afraid. Well, ok, he's afraid (Marlowe was too) but he goes anyway.
The late Powers Boothe did pretty well as Marlowe in a mid-‘80s HBO Marlowe miniseries, based off of a few of Chandler’s short stories. And agree with you about Ford’s performance in Blade Runner. But, bizarrely enough, my favorite film Marlowe is Robert Mitchum in mid-‘70s adaptations of Farewell, My Lovely and The Big Sleep; he gets the attitude right in a way nobody else did. The worst was Elliot Gould in Altman’s butchering “adaptation” of The Long Goodbye; Altman should have just made his movie without any reference to Chandler’s novel, considering he fundamentally changed just about everything except some character names. The original is a lovely, suspenseful work, Chandler’s best and one of the best novels of the 20th century.

I hope this one isn’t as bad as Altman’s travesty, but that trailer…looks horrific.
Jack Nicholson’s Jake Gittes in Chinatown comes pretty close to Chandler’s Marlowe, too. Nicholson might not be physically imposing enough for the role, but he’s got the attitude.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:16 pm On LL he has a link to his blog. I looked at it and he had copied and pasted a screenshot from the discussion of giving the proper name of the Statue of Liberty.
Here's his post: https://harpo84.blogspot.com/2023/01/wh ... pardy.html

Uh...

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Woof wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:28 pm Jack Nicholson’s Jake Gittes in Chinatown comes pretty close to Chandler’s Marlowe, too. Nicholson might not be physically imposing enough for the role, but he’s got the attitude.
Agree wholeheartedly, except that Marlowe pointedly doesn’t do divorce business :mrgreen:

But I get (no pun intended) where you’re coming from about the attitude Nicholson brought to the character of Jake Gittes; the whole sequence at the reservoir (the nose scene especially) was very Chandleresque. As far as physically imposing…Marlowe is six feet, one-half inches tall and weighs 190 lbs (this is stated many times in the books; he’s not really a brawler, although he’ll throw or take a punch if needed (the physical confrontation climax of The Long Goodbye makes that abundantly clear). That was another thing in that silly trailer that was all wrong.

(As one might guess, I’m a bit of a Chandler nerd aficionado :roll:)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MattKnowles wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:32 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:16 pm On LL he has a link to his blog. I looked at it and he had copied and pasted a screenshot from the discussion of giving the proper name of the Statue of Liberty.
Here's his post: https://harpo84.blogspot.com/2023/01/wh ... pardy.html

Uh...

I've kept my mouth shut on the subject of Yogesh here (to a fault, I admit), but one thing I'd like to say is that the day after Yogesh gave the title of the statue, the relative silence about morbeedo giving a complete response in French was deafening. I thought about making a snarky post about how I "couldn't imagine why(te) the reactions were so different," but I'm settling for couching the remark in self-reference.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

cthulhu wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:49 pm
Woof wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:28 pm Jack Nicholson’s Jake Gittes in Chinatown comes pretty close to Chandler’s Marlowe, too. Nicholson might not be physically imposing enough for the role, but he’s got the attitude.
Agree wholeheartedly, except that Marlowe pointedly doesn’t do divorce business :mrgreen:

But I get (no pun intended) where you’re coming from about the attitude Nicholson brought to the character of Jake Gittes; the whole sequence at the reservoir (the nose scene especially) was very Chandleresque. As far as physically imposing…Marlowe is six feet, one-half inches tall and weighs 190 lbs (this is stated many times in the books; he’s not really a brawler, although he’ll throw or take a punch if needed (the physical confrontation climax of The Long Goodbye makes that abundantly clear). That was another thing in that silly trailer that was all wrong.

(As one might guess, I’m a bit of a Chandler nerd aficionado :roll:)
Whereas Nicholson is 5’ 10” and 170. “Physically imposing” is probably too strong a term but you get the sense from Chandler‘a writing that Marlowe was no pushover.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:56 am I've kept my mouth shut on the subject of Yogesh here (to a fault, I admit), but one thing I'd like to say is that the day after Yogesh gave the title of the statue, the relative silence about morbeedo giving a complete response in French was deafening. I thought about making a snarky post about how I "couldn't imagine why(te) the reactions were so different," but I'm settling for couching the remark in self-reference.
Morbeedo's a boardie. Even if the two responses were strictly comparable, he would get some slack on this board regardless of race. But I don't think the responses are comparable. If Morbeedo weren't a boardie and he'd been the one to make the Statue of Liberty response, I think he would have gotten exactly the same flack. I mean exactly. And if Yogesh had been the one to make the French response, especially if he was a boardie, I don't think there would have been negative comment. And I don't think the silence in that reverse situation would have been deafening, just as it wasn't in this situation. I think it's a serious thing to accuse other boardies of racism.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:35 am
seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:56 am I've kept my mouth shut on the subject of Yogesh here (to a fault, I admit), but one thing I'd like to say is that the day after Yogesh gave the title of the statue, the relative silence about morbeedo giving a complete response in French was deafening. I thought about making a snarky post about how I "couldn't imagine why(te) the reactions were so different," but I'm settling for couching the remark in self-reference.
Morbeedo's a boardie. Even if the two responses were strictly comparable, he would get some slack on this board regardless of race. But I don't think the responses are comparable. If Morbeedo weren't a boardie and he'd been the one to make the Statue of Liberty response, I think he would have gotten exactly the same flack. I mean exactly. And if Yogesh had been the one to make the French response, especially if he was a boardie, I don't think there would have been negative comment. And I don't think the silence in that reverse situation would have been deafening, just as it wasn't in this situation. I think it's a serious thing to accuse other boardies of racism.
I just can't see it playing out the same way. I can't see anyone on here accusing morbeedo of hubris to his face. And I can easily envision cracks being taken at Yogesh had he answered in French.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:37 am
I just can't see it playing out the same way. I can't see anyone on here accusing morbeedo of hubris to his face. And I can easily envision cracks being taken at Yogesh had he answered in French.
For the first part, that's why I said if morbeedo wasn't a boardie. I think that's the most important difference. If he wasn't a boardie and made the same response, I think he'd get the same flack. You may be right about the second part in general, but I think the particular boardies who commented on Yogesh's "bat flip" should be explicitly excluded from the accusation. It's a very serious thing to allege that people we know and respect were influenced by Yogesh's race to say something they wouldn't say about a white person. I don't believe that.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:06 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:37 am
For the first part, that's why I said if morbeedo wasn't a boardie. I think that's the most important difference. If he wasn't a boardie and made the same response, I think he'd get the same flack. You may be right about the second part in general, but I think the particular boardies who commented on Yogesh's "bat flip" should be explicitly excluded from the accusation. It's a very serious thing to allege that people we know and respect were influenced by Yogesh's race to say something they wouldn't say about a white person. I don't believe that.
Since I'm the one who brought up the "bat flip," I'll just say that, personally, I didn't see the French thing as showing off, but rather being playful. Maybe it didn't bother me because I was already rooting for Morbeedo because he's a boardie and we've all read about his longtime efforts to get on the show. That's "why(te)" my reaction was so different.