Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

A great sketch from SNL last night, The Big Hollywood Quiz.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I was right there with them on not knowing the answer to any of those from the 20s.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:38 pm I was right there with them on not knowing the answer to any of those from the 20s.
Ditto. But I do know who Sarah Polley* is and I think I sorta kinda recognize Andrea Riseborough's name.

* Check out Atom Egoyan's The Sweet Hereafter (1997) and Sarah Polley's own documentary Stories We Tell (2012).
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I'm 24 and NHO any of those TV shows and movies from 20's, but knew Betty Davis and M*A*S*H.

Basically, if it is a movie or TV show from the past year and if it isn't an animated children's movie or TV show, quiz show, or crime documentary, then I have no idea what it is.
Douglas Squasoni
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I hope we all can name 3 movies from the last 5 years... :D
This is funny, and the point it makes is a good one (and I knew it would be shared here), but it's undercut by calling one of the contestants an entertainment reporter. If anyone would know about this stuff, it's an entertainment reporter. How do you think SNL knows about them except through the entertainment press? The story of Andrea Riseborough perhaps unfairly getting an Oscar nomination has been widely reported this week...
For the record, the only show mentioned that sounded completely unfamiliar to me (not that I would have aced the quiz), was Roar with Nicole Kidman, and I've watched more than one Kidman show in recent years! It turns out Roar is an anthology and Kidman was in 1 episode. I'm considering checking it out... :)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Worth noting that Brianne Howey stars in Ginny & Georgia on Netflix. I think Jeopardy! likes to ask about the contestants that appear on Celebrity Jeopardy! so expect this one to show up.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MattKnowles wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:15 pm Worth noting that Brianne Howey stars in Ginny & Georgia on Netflix. I think Jeopardy! likes to ask about the contestants that appear on Celebrity Jeopardy! so expect this one to show up.
It's customary for the celeb contestants to have recorded clues for future airing.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

Poor Bette Davis is misquoted yet again ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKHUGvde7KU
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I have an Apple TV+ subscription and actually have watched "Roar," and I forgot about Nicole Kidman -- because it's an anthology series, and she only appears in one episode. (Although she served as a producer, so her name is in the credits for all eight episodes.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

trainman wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:58 pm I have an Apple TV+ subscription and actually have watched "Roar," and I forgot about Nicole Kidman -- because it's an anthology series, and she only appears in one episode. (Although she served as a producer, so her name is in the credits for all eight episodes.)
I have an Apple TV+ subscription and watched the first episode of Dear Edward. If SNL had done their skit a few weeks from now then that one would have fit well for a known/unknown show.

With my limited flying experience I still have to think mom and son are not moving around the cabin in such an emergency situation. Veteran passengers could probably spot dozens of other errors.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Speaking of High School Reunion (sorta) ... today is the 10th anniversary of the triple zip in the Teen Tournament.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:00 am Speaking of High School Reunion (sorta) ... today is the 10th anniversary of the triple zip in the Teen Tournament.
That was a rough watch. Three unhappy campers realizing that they could've left themselves a buck and gone on to the finals. Instead, the third finals spot went to Leonard Cooper who famously won with his FJ response of "Who is some guy in Normandy but I just won $75,000!" Fortunately for Leonard, Nilai missed that FJ or Leonard would have lost the tournament by $400 and we'd have had an even more awkward moment.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Somebody put a Stockfish chess engine (white) against ChatGPT input (black) and came up with this game

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:04 am Somebody put a Stockfish chess engine (white) against ChatGPT input (black) and came up with this game
Spoiler
I didn't know the pieces could teleport...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Volante wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:35 am
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:04 am Somebody put a Stockfish chess engine (white) against ChatGPT input (black) and came up with this game
Spoiler
I didn't know the pieces could teleport...
Or that the king could move into check...
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I got a chuckle out of this tweet thread (you have to click play on the GIFs for full effect):

Fair warning, do not watch all the other bowling alley GIFs in that thread.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This came up on yesterday's Master Minds. Instaget here for some reason. The story of how their domain name was a boon to the country is an interesting one:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.tv

20230210_135259.jpg
20230210_135259.jpg (447.8 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Now can you name the entity behind the .ai TLD?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:54 pm Now can you name the entity behind the .ai TLD?
In a word ... no.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

It's bound to come up on one of these shows eventually.
Spoiler